Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problem, K series in a ek

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem, K series in a ek

ok i have a 99 Civic with a k20a2 swap running a PRC(integra type r). anyways, i have a harness from Hybrid Racing and read the whole entire instructions and did everything they said to do. my problem is when i go to crank up the car, it starts to misfire and has a CEL and i have no clue what it could be!! any help would be appreciated!!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: problem, K series in a ek (crackerjacker006)

Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k-series don't have dizzys. Call will from hybrid and he'll help you out step by step
Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (tanabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k-series don't have dizzys. Call will from hybrid and he'll help you out step by step</TD></TR></TABLE>

So what determines the firing order?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what determines the firing order?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no dizzy's on newer moddel cars man you an idiot?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (Team RS2)

crank sensor and cam sensor determine fire order, ever heard of COP

????

ek forever proves once again you cant read honda tech and be the ****
Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM

also OP this might help you i got it from a magzine article i had

MISFIRES

COP problems can include many of the same ailments as other ignition systems such as misfiring, hard starting or a no start. Spark plugs can still be fouled by oil or fuel deposits as well as preignition and detonation. So COP ignition systems are not immune to trouble.

If the crankshaft position sensor fails, the loss of the basic timing signal will prevent the system from generating a spark and the engine will not start or run. A failed driver circuit within the PCM can kill an individual coil and prevent that cylinder from firing. But with COP, an individual coil failure will only cause misfiring in one cylinder.

It is important to remember that ignition misfire can also be caused by other factors such as worn or fouled spark plugs, loose or damaged coil connectors or terminals, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, intake vacuum leaks, loss of compression in a cylinder, even a tankful of "bad" gas contaminated with water. These other possibilities should all be ruled out before a COP unit is replaced.

The most common trouble codes you may encounter with COP systems on OBD II equipped vehicles are P0300 series codes such as P0301, P0302, etc. that indicate a misfire in a particular cylinder. The important point to remember here is that a general misfire code (P0300) is probably not ignition related but is due to a vacuum leak or fuel delivery problem.

A code that indicates a misfire in a single cylinder (such as P0304), on the other hand, will usually be due to a fouled spark plug, weak coil, dirty or dead fuel injector, or loss of compression (burned vale or leaky head gasket).

If a misfire is due to a bad coil, you should find a coil code that corresponds to the same cylinder (P0351 to P0358).

If a misfire is fuel related, you should also find a code that indicates an open or shorted injector in that cylinder (P0201 to P0208).

A COP engine that cranks but fails to start, in many cases, will often have a problem in the crankshaft position sensor circuit (code P0320). Loss of the camshaft position sensor signal (code P0340) may prevent the PCM from properly synchronizing the fuel injectors, but may still allow the engine to start and run in a limp-in mode.

On the Chrysler applications, a code P1388 or P1389 would indicate a fault in the auto shutdown relay circuit, while a P1282 would point you toward the fuel pump relay control circuit.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ek forever proves once again you cant read honda tech and be the **** </TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you tell me once again how you destroke a 350 to a 305?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't a 305 just a destroked 350? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-05-2007, 06:24 PM

any more suggestions? I heard someone here said on H-T that they had the same problem and drove the car for about an hour and it cleared up..
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could you tell me once again how you destroke a 350 to a 305?</TD></TR></TABLE>

after you tell me where the dizzy is on my k20
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rofl too funny you guys

make sure to change the k20's timing belt every 90k, and check the shift linkage bushings often
Old 06-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rofl too funny you guys

make sure to change the k20's timing belt every 90k, and check the shift linkage bushings often </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude the k series timing belts are the weak point of their desghin!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude the k series timing belts are the weak point of their desghin! </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually the timing chain is kinda shittily designed because the chain tensionner is hydraulic, if you loose oil pressure for whatever reason, the chain jumps and adds bent/broken valves / damaged cylinders/pistons to the list of problems....ive seen to soo many times at the dealership i work at
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
actually the timing chain is kinda shittily designed because the chain tensionner is hydraulic, if you loose oil pressure for whatever reason, the chain jumps and adds bent/broken valves / damaged cylinders/pistons to the list of problems....ive seen to soo many times at the dealership i work at</TD></TR></TABLE>

While we're talking about defaults of the K, what about the cable shifters? They didn't work too well the first time around, I wonder why they went back.

Never looked into it.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 PM

they worked fine dipshitz, they started in 01 with th d17 motors but i guess you can claim it statred with the k20 in 01
Old 06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

While we're talking about defaults of the K, what about the cable shifters? They didn't work too well the first time around, I wonder why they went back.

Never looked into it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cable shifters are working dreat IMO, i just dont like the "toy" feeling of it personally, i :heart: my linkages too much

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually the timing chain is kinda shittily designed because the chain tensionner is hydraulic, if you loose oil pressure for whatever reason, the chain jumps and adds bent/broken valves / damaged cylinders/pistons to the list of problems....ive seen to soo many times at the dealership i work at</TD></TR></TABLE>

hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm since the R series (r18 and r20 same block just stroked) is also hydrocilay tensioned could this transfer over or did they fix it for 06?
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they worked fine dipshitz, they started in 01 with th d17 motors but i guess you can claim it statred with the k20 in 01 </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's all personal preference, I don't like them.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actually the timing chain is kinda shittily designed because the chain tensionner is hydraulic, if you loose oil pressure for whatever reason, the chain jumps and adds bent/broken valves / damaged cylinders/pistons to the list of problems....ive seen to soo many times at the dealership i work at</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually its an auto tensioner...it doesnt matter if you lose oil pressure lol. i was gonna sig that one.

what do you mean its misfiring? i am currently having problems with the hybrid harness into a 99-00 em1 also. but its a fuel problem. i know for sure the dc+eg, and 96-98 ek instructions are different. are you sure you have the right instructions if you dont pm me your email and ill send you the one they sent to me.

will at hybrid racing is also on vacation at the moment. if you call ask for david. and they're phone # also changed recently
Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

Dont ever disrespect Ek Forever Guy.. atleast the man can actually help abunch of people out from different topics and situtions unlike you Team R whatever you are.. All you know and understand is 1 thing and thats k20 motors.. Get on EK FOREVER GUYS LEVEL!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actually its an auto tensioner...it doesnt matter if you lose oil pressure lol. i was gonna sig that one.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you sure tho? althogh im only an apprentice i can pretty clearly remember one of the techs at work describing what had happened to an accord, low on oil, tensionner got loose, chain jumped 4 teeth
Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: (PinoyxEJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PinoyxEJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont ever disrespect Ek Forever Guy.. atleast the man can actually help abunch of people out from different topics and situtions unlike you Team R whatever you are.. All you know and understand is 1 thing and thats k20 motors.. Get on EK FOREVER GUYS LEVEL! </TD></TR></TABLE>

? hrrrm? you think ek forever knows alot? he has done little more than a stock car get off his nuts man
Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Ek Forever y0!

? hrrrm? you think ek forever knows alot? he has done little more than a stock car get off his nuts man </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because everyone that owns a stock cars knows nothing about cars.

Makes sense right?

I got news for you, my brother didn't build his gsr by himself.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because everyone that owns a stock cars knows nothing about cars.

Makes sense right?

I got news for you, my brother didn't build his gsr by himself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and you didnt do it for him, thats damn sure
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

? hrrrm? you think ek forever knows alot? he has done little more than a stock car get off his nuts man </TD></TR></TABLE>

just because he drives a stock car doesnt mean anything. you sure do hate him for some reason. it can surprise you who really has knowledge of what they are talking about

Quick Reply: problem, K series in a ek