Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem- Help Request Blown Fuse n.23 Stereo & Brake indicator

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem- Help Request Blown Fuse n.23 Stereo & Brake indicator

Location Austin, TX
Make: 1992 Honda Del Sol (LHD) No ABS

This all started when I did my own stereo installation. I got some cheap stereo and with the proper manual and diagrams installed it.

On the factory model (I believe, car was previously owned), there was a 7.5a fuse that was non existent in the new stereo. When I installed the new stereo unit the n.23 fuse 15a would overload at ignition. I then swapped the 15a for a 20a and was able to receive play sound.

Severals months later I'm jamming out and turn my radio way up. As I am driving I get the fateful melting plastic smell followed by blue smoke (which I thought was from under the hood since I turned on the heater sucking smoke into cabin).

I looked under the hood everything seemed fine, but now I saw my radio was not working and my brake warning indicator light was turning on.

Occasionally when I would power the rear driver's side window switch (holding down) the radio would seem to turn on.

Few like 3 months later, I went to the mechanic for a brake job. Upon completion he asked me how long the brake indicator light has been on, I said only a month (lied), but he said he would check the fuse.

Turns out the n.23 under dash fuse was melted and blown. He replaced it, but overloaded again. I had mentioned that I had a radio short, then after I say the brake indicator light. He said it may be faulty wiring. I said, if I remove the stereo and place a new fuse would this fix the problem.

In theory it should if it doesn't then something's grounded in the wrong spot.

*I think you can read where this is going*

So, I just unplugged the stereo, brake indicator light is still on. I placed in a new 20a fuse (even though I know it's supposed to be 15a) and it blew.

Since I already screwed up with the 20a fuse I don't want to go higher.

I am pretty sure the smoke must be related to brake indicator light, but the n.23 fuse 20a fuse is the only blown fuse.

I've checked the wiring diagrams and the only two sources power draws for n.23 is the stereo and the cigarette lighter. I don't see anything about the brake indicator light.

I've checked the under hood fuse box and all of the fuses are good. I *thought* the smoke came from under hood as I saw the smoke outside of my car. However the fuse melted inside. I completely took out the stereo and see no melting of cables and the stereo is unplugged same issue.

I checked behind the passengers side glovebox and no melting of wires.

While under hood at the fuse box site. I smelled the burn plastic smell, but it may also be the copper leads from the battery terminals.

While I am clearly missing something, I am not sure where should begin looking.

And my brake system? While it my be a coincidence, I also got brand new brake pads and a master cylinder.

Any help is much appreciated. I tried to be as thorough as possible.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Problem- Help Request Blown Fuse n.23 Stereo & Brake indicator (ATX_DelSol)

bump...
Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Reading and thinking. Bump for you.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is quite a strange problem. Things like this usually stem from just one small problem like a missed ground, which in turn, takes the whole electrical system down like a house of cards.

Im not really an expert at pinpointing electrical problems like this, but bump for someone that may be.

Have you considered letting an electrical expert (like a car audio/alarm installtion shop) look at it?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 AM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

From personal experience that has happened to me, I got a cheap *** stereo with no fuse. I wont ever do that again, now I have a $100 Kenwood no problems at all. I have also had problems with Duels.

In my cars I wouldn't put anything besides JVC, Kenwood, or Alpine, Pioneer, Panasonic (You know well known names) and they <U>must</U> have a fuse.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 AM

I had thought about it, but I figured if I just unplugged the stereo and replace fuse the brake light would turn off. I'm trying to pinpoint the problem before I get another stereo.

The mechanic thought it may be a ground, but when I removed the stereo unit and checked all surrounding wiring nothing seemed damaged.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:12 AM

Default Re: (ATX_DelSol)

this might sound a little crazy but...
have you checked to se if there is any thing in your cigarette lighter.
i have seen that happen befor and its turns out there was a penny inside there.

P.S dont ever use a bigger fuse if it calls for a 15 amp use it.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 PM

I had thought about it, but I figured if I just unplugged the stereo and replace fuse the brake light would turn off. I'm trying to pinpoint the problem before I get another stereo.

The mechanic thought it may be a ground, but when I removed the stereo unit and checked all surrounding wiring nothing seemed damaged.