Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP!

So i jack up my car in the front, I unscrew the little screw and attempt to turn the purch to raise the car(00-SiR) up a bit but the damn thing wont turn. I used wd40 and the thing wont budge. I call a buddy and explain this, we discovered that the spring is still compressed aganist the purch. How could that be? the car is raised up. Odd, anyways so I raise up the back and the spring is not compressed against the purch, you can turn the purch (Orange thing) freely, no problems in the back. So my question, why in the hell would the front be compressed when the car is raised up and the back is not, I can't adjust the front at all. The only thing we thoughgt of was that I rent a spring compressor and do it that way, but that seems like a lot of action. Does anyone know why this is?

PLS only people answer that know what they are talking about,

HELP!

Old 07-17-2002, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (CDM SiR)

dude, i know exactly what u're talking. i had the same problem with my **** and it was freaking annoying. trust me i know how you feel. well, the fix is this. you have to buy a big ranch or plyer type of thing to make it turn. i dont know what its called but now i can turn my GC fairly easy. its mainly used to grab some kind of a pipe but it work fine for me. i wish i had a pic but i dont have it with me.
where are u located ? if you're in chicag, i can show you.
let me know man.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (qbsi)

So its like a big giant clamp? you have to use that every time? Im gonna rent a spring compressor and try that. (compress the spring and try and turn it) ****** so annoying, im glad someone else feels my pain... And thanks doode , im from Calgary, damn far away from u but thanx!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:16 AM

i think i've seen it at home depot or auto parts stores. it looks just like a ranch but its a lot bigger and the things that grabs the pipe or the sleeves in this case is made like a wide U so you can grab the perch and move it up or down.
i thought i was the only one with that problem. lol.
i even bought the Aepxi coilover ranch for $40 to see if it works but it didnt.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:17 AM

yeah, its something like that. trust me, u dont need a compressor man.
hey i'll take a pic and shoot you an email. hows that?
just gimme your email address man.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Did the GC's not come w/ a spanner wrench made to turn the perches? The fact that the spring still has some tension in it when raised up is good, that means the spring will not move around or make noises when the suspension is at full extension during hard cornering, etc.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:28 AM

Are you only jacking one side of the car up at a time? If so, and you have a sway bar, then the pressure from the other tire on the ground is going to be transferred through your sway bar and put pressure against the suspension. If this is the case have someone stand on the spindle and that should drop the suspension enough to adjust it.

The freely moving perch in the back leads me to believe that you just have the sway bar in the front. Anyway, with the sway bar hooked up the suspension won't drop all the way unless both sides are jacked up or you disconnect the sway bar.

This is just my thought and maybe the problem is being caused by something else. Anyway, good luck.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (g_man80)

Dude. Same as here.. I was going to raise up the GC coilover for the front.. I cut my two finger.. DAmn Im pissing about my fingers cut... SO I get the towel to cover my hand and try to raise the coilover up again.. NOpe it is not working at all.. I leave it there and ignore the problem.. Oh well...
Old 07-17-2002, 08:35 AM

hmm,. i only have a strut bar, I dont think SiR's come with a sway bar, but that makes sense, maybe if I jack up the whole front that would help, i'll have to try that, also gonna try qbsi's method to,
Old 07-17-2002, 08:53 AM

i have a fix for people who are having trouble with it. im sending someone a pic of it hopefully he can post it later. its so easy and you dont freaking break your fingers everytime you try to trun the damn sleeve. cut my fingers many times before i found the perfect tool.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:58 AM
New User

hmm,. i only have a strut bar, I dont think SiR's come with a sway bar, but that makes sense, maybe if I jack up the whole front that would help, i'll have to try that, also gonna try qbsi's method to,
you have to jack both side of the car up to get it too turn. The SiR come with a 26mm front sway bar and a 13mm rear swaybar. I had the same problem.

-tell
Old 07-17-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some photos of the problem.
I've never had this problem with my GC's (as far as I can guess what your problem is) and I have adjusted them many times. Jack up the front end (both sides) and the springs should be un-compressed. The pearches should turn freely.

[Modified by SLPR, 10:02 AM 7/17/2002]
Old 07-17-2002, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (SLPR)

Old 07-17-2002, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (SLPR)

As soon as I put the 26mm sway bar on my hatch I had the same problem.

The sway bar limits the down travel, no matter how you jack the car up.

You can jack the entire front up, and have people stand and jump on both spindles at a the same time and it still will not go low enough to release the pressure on the spring perch.

You can either disconnect one of the sway bar endlinks, or disconnect the shock fork from the LCA. That should release the pressure.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:18 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you have to jack both side of the car up to get it too turn. The SiR come with a 26mm front sway bar and a 13mm rear swaybar. I had the same problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the back works fine, I'll have to try that, do you have an SiR as well?
Old 07-17-2002, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (tonyxcom)

As soon as I put the 26mm sway bar on my hatch I had the same problem.

The sway bar limits the down travel, no matter how you jack the car up.

You can jack the entire front up, and have people stand and jump on both spindles at a the same time and it still will not go low enough to release the pressure on the spring perch.

You can either disconnect one of the sway bar endlinks, or disconnect the shock fork from the LCA. That should release the pressure.
yes the sway bars get in the way when doing this type of suspension work. when i had some friends do my shocks and springs the second time, it was amazingly difficult to get everything lined up in place, until we disconnected the sway bar things became easy then.

sorry not a GC c/o experience but i had a ST 25mm front sway bar and a 19mm rear and it made it hellla harder to install
Old 07-17-2002, 10:54 AM

quote:

The back works because the lower sway-bar is only 13mm which isn't large enough to make a difference. The front is 26mm which does make a difference. Just raise both sides on the front of the car and you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 07-17-2002, 11:44 AM
New User

Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (Bagel Williams)

quote:

The back works because the lower sway-bar is only 13mm which isn't large enough to make a difference. The front is 26mm which does make a difference. Just raise both sides on the front of the car and you shouldn't have a problem.
what he said...

Old 07-17-2002, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Problem with Ground Controls, PLS HELP! (bishop)

You guys all rule!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:19 PM

did you get it to work?
Old 07-18-2002, 08:24 AM

It was the sway bar, I jacked up the whole front and it worked fine! What a relief, I thought something was fucked up or something. Everything works now, and thanks again to everybody!
Old 07-18-2002, 09:36 AM

No problem. now it's time for a