Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem with car makes clicking sound when drive HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with car makes clicking sound when drive HELP!!!!

I have a 93 hatchback with a mini-me swap (d15b8 w/d16y8 head). I cant figure out why my car makes this weird clicking sound whenever i rev my car pass pass 2k (stock timing). I tried retarding the cam to 1 degree retard and it helps a little (now it wont make noise till i pass 4krpm). I tried advancing it and it didnt help at all. The thing is when i have it parked, i can rev my car up to redline without any noise. This only occur whenever i'm in gear. I also took my tranny apart for inspection and it seems to be ok nothing wrong.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problem with car makes clicking sound when drive HELP!!!! (proliant)

Um, if you're rolling while you do this, it could be your CV's. Look at your boots

Motörhead - Ace Of Spades (1980) - - 04 - Live To Win.mp3 [160Kbps] (03:37)
Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 PM

I also inspect the cv joints (both) and they seem to be fine since i last replace them about 6 months ago. They dont have any rip or loose joint.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 AM

the weird thing is if the cv joints are bad than why would retard/advancing the timing has any effect to it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (proliant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by proliant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the weird thing is if the cv joints are bad than why would retard/advancing the timing has any effect to it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It wouldn't. It should be pretty easy to tell whether the noise is coming from the engine or from the axles.... CV's aren't rpm dependent, if they click...they click.

Does it do it clutch in/out? Stock clutch? Input bearing perhaps?...
Old 10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man if its a clickin sound while ur riding...and it keeps goin...its ur tranny...cuz it happened to mine
Old 10-16-2006, 03:39 PM

I dont think it's the tranny since i took it apart and it looks fine. I also dont think it's the tranny since i can shift and drive smoothly without a hitch. This noise only occurs when i am in load or driving. I can redline this in park without it making any noise. The noise sounds as if the valves are hitting the pistons. If that's the case i would loose compression and i have no power at all. SO.... im not sure
Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 AM

CAN I GET SOME HELP PLEASE
Old 10-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by proliant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think it's the tranny since i took it apart and it looks fine. I also dont think it's the tranny since i can shift and drive smoothly without a hitch. This noise only occurs when i am in load or driving. I can redline this in park without it making any noise. The noise sounds as if the valves are hitting the pistons. If that's the case i would loose compression and i have no power at all. SO.... im not sure</TD></TR></TABLE>

But did you know what to look for when you were looking at your transmission?

Anyways, if it were your valves, you would hear it no matter if you were in gear or not, for it's engine itself and transcends the transmission. I'm just going to make an educated guess here; If it sounds like the valves and only taps when moving it could be because the engine is under negative pressure or inertia, so, when in gear or moving the cams or valves are under a different stress level then when it's under idle. I would do a valve adjustment, I would have done a valve adjustment before I would have messed with the cam. So, check your valves first, make sure you have enough oil or perhaps just change your oil...

Then come back and tell me if it's still messed up and I'll try to come up with an alternative solution...
Old 10-17-2006, 02:05 PM

I have check the valves for clearance. I did adjustments to fit the specs and it still does it. I also change the oil and no help at all. ONE thing i do notice this week is when im in first gear i can go all the way up to redline without any noise. But when im in other gears like 2, 3, 4, 5 it makes noise. So im not sure what's going on.

Did i tell you by retarding my timing using AEM cam gear to 1 degree it helps stop the noise until 4krpm.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by proliant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have check the valves for clearance. I did adjustments to fit the specs and it still does it. I also change the oil and no help at all. ONE thing i do notice this week is when im in first gear i can go all the way up to redline without any noise. But when im in other gears like 2, 3, 4, 5 it makes noise. So im not sure what's going on.

Did i tell you by retarding my timing using AEM cam gear to 1 degree it helps stop the noise until 4krpm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Me and my friend have the same opinion; your valves are most likely crap and need to be replaced. With valves that can withstand the redline. So, you're looking at possibly $240 for a 16 Valve set. I don't know what else to tell you man...

Bathory - Jubileum Volume I (1992) - 13 - Under the Runes.mp3 [128Kbps] (05:56)
Old 10-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: (Metalluthier)

I had a similar Thing happen when we did my Mini-me. (Z6 on a B7). It's not just the valvelash that you have to check. it also needs to be done in proper sequence. Check a chilton..I don't remember off the top of my head....but it DOES matter. Your problem sounds almost exactly what mine was doing. Try setting the valvelash in proper sequence and hopefully that will take care of it. LMK.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:53 PM

That's what i did everything to honda specs. The sequence is cylinder 1, 3, 4, 2. at TDC
Old 10-17-2006, 05:25 PM

wellllll then I'm just no help . I'm not near as experienced as most of these guys on here...keep bumping and you'll get the answer. Good luck
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: (Metalluthier)

IF my valves are crap than it makes noise when idle or when i park and rev.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by proliant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IF my valves are crap than it makes noise when idle or when i park and rev.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How many miles on your engine? Your valves deal with different amounts of pressure through all gears. What did the teeth on your clutch look like?

DJ Reis - Underground Hip Hop For Dummies Vol.1 (2003) - 07 - The Difference (Reservoir Doggs).mp3 [128Kbps] (04:25)
Old 10-17-2006, 10:36 PM

The block has about 97k and head is about 90k. The clutch is new and when i took the tranny out again i check everything and they seem to be good. I also replace the pilot bearing and throw out bearing. Got new master and slave clutch cylinder. I dont know what else to tell ya. It sounds like pistons hitting valves when im in gear, that's only in gear not parked.

What are the signs of bad cv joint since my doesnt have that tale tell sign such as rip rubber boots, leaks, crack, or shatter teeth on the shaft.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I don't think it's your CV. If you're moving and turning you'd hear it at low RPM's. Umm....try tightening your timing belt...if you believe your valves are hitting your pistons, I wouldn't redline it because you may break a valve stem and you'll be in a world a hurt after that. If you're having valve slap, set your cam back to TDC

DJ Reis - Underground Hip Hop For Dummies Vol.3 (2004) - 17 - Cranium [Remix] (Gauge feat. The Dwellas).mp3 [128Kbps] (03:54)
Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got the same problem but the clicking only happens when i am almost at a stop...meaning when i'm braking...not when im turning or anything...what could be the problem? it sounds like its coming only from the driver side...its coming from the brakes....
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've got the same problem but the clicking only happens when i am almost at a stop...meaning when i'm braking...not when im turning or anything...what could be the problem? it sounds like its coming only from the driver side...its coming from the brakes....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well it sounds like you've got some CV problems, or you've got some caliper problems.....most likely your CV, check your boots

DJ Reis - Underground Hip Hop For Dummies Vol.4 (2004) - 02 - THe Ego Has Landed (Dutchmassive).mp3 [128Kbps] (04:43)
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (bmoua)

you sure it's not detonation??

You say it's only under load, and isn't as bad when timing retarded...possibly bad gas or cam is a tooth advanced.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:34 AM

I tried both 4 degrees retard and advance and it seems like retarding it would be better in a way. It didnt stop the clicking/ticking noise but it just happen in higher rpm. When i have it at TDC, the car makes that noise around 2krpm and up. I retarded it so i can drive without being **** off LOL. Another thing is the sound is not always constant or continuous. Could it be bad distributor or cylinder head bearings?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this might not help but check your header bolts, are they tight.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by proliant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tried both 4 degrees retard and advance and it seems like retarding it would be better in a way. It didnt stop the clicking/ticking noise but it just happen in higher rpm. When i have it at TDC, the car makes that noise around 2krpm and up. I retarded it so i can drive without being **** off LOL. Another thing is the sound is not always constant or continuous. Could it be bad distributor or cylinder head bearings?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm...I wonder if the tapping you're hearing is electronical spikes, doubtful, but hey it's worth trying. If you know someone with the same engine as you, try swapping the dizzy. But, be careful doing it, if you haven't, you may want to buy a manual. But if you know what to do, cool. I just don't want to be held responsible if you screw up your timing and then your engine will be SHYTE

Summoning - Nightshade Forests (1997) - 3 - Flesh and Blood.mp3 [160Kbps] (07:49)
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 AM

Can it be the cam bearings? or cylinder head bearing?

Quick Reply: Problem with car makes clicking sound when drive HELP!!!!