Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pro-Eg or pro-ek?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Eg or pro-ek?

Disclaimer: This is my first post on this forum. I also have very little knowledge of Honda's and very basic knowledge of mechanics. So if I garble some Jargon, forgive me. Also, I have a tendancy to Randomly capitalize certain words.

Anyway, I recently saw a civc for sale, it was a '92 Hatchback for 2500 dollars. It has no other mods besides a CF hood, and it's been lowered slightly. The only thing that really caught my car about the car though was that it only had 65,000 miles on it. That's insanely low in my book. Also, it's a DX model.

So my question is, should I just save my money and buy an EK civic next summer? Are there really many advantages to an EK civic?

If I were to get a Civic, my plans include an engine swap (whatever engine gets at least 160hp is good to me), and a bolt-on turbo. Hoping to get around 200hp out of the car, and have it run in the 14s at the very least.

Is this a practical goal? Could this be done for under 7500 dollars?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Pro-Eg or pro-ek? (Mwaza)

I want to start this off just to say that a lot of forum members, even me don't really enjoy posts like this. (we frequently get posts by new member that relate to this) I will recommend reading the forum rules at the top of the page, it will help you answer almost all of your questions. A lot of member get annoyed by questions like this, just because we have so many members joining each day that we get asked questions like this very frequently. But anyways, welcome to honda-tech.com It's an addiction. Hopefully this helps out a a little, and to answer your question:

Even though I usually don't reply to posts for some reason I feel like it. Yes, your goals are realistic, As of the car, it depends what you want more as of an eg or ek, what body style you want more and how the interior is. Depending on what options the dx came with it is a pretty light car to start out with. With a b16 or b18c1 swap and a turbo you could accomplish your goal of 200 whp pretty easily, it just depends on what you want to do to your car. As far as the amount of money you have to spend, yes, with $7500 and a bit of research you could put down 200whp. Your best bet is just to look over what everyone else is doing and to see what setups they have to give you ideas of what you want to do. The forced induction forum has a lot of great info that will help you out, especially since you want to go turbo. Good luck and thanks for joining.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pro-Eg or pro-ek? (JibOnALib)

^^ awesome reply.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From one noob to another, I empathize. As for your goals, eg would get you closer to that goal (less weight as mentioned before). Do ur homework and check carfax. 65K is low but maybe he couldnt afford the expensive gas these dayz. B18b is great for boost heads.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Pro-Eg or pro-ek? (ekmodder)

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:02 PM

i'm an ek owner, and i have friends that own ek and eg's. personally i'm pro ek, but that sounds like a clean eg. if i found such a clean eg, i would've gone for it.

there are a few things about the eg i prefer over the ek:
1. the eg is lighter by a hundred pounds or so
2. many parts are interchangable with the 3rd gen integra [dc]- suspension parts and interior come to mind
3. its obd1, so you wont need a conversion harness if you decided to tune the ecu
4. insurance tends to be cheaper on an older car

but, i personally prefer the body styling of the ek. that was the selling point for me. besides, here in socal, everyone's got an eg, and slightly less have ek's, so i wanted to go for that.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Pro-Eg or pro-ek?

oh and if ithis helps, the top fuel eg won 2nd place on best motoring's american touge dvd. it had a k20
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Pro-Eg or pro-ek? (ekmodder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekmodder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From one noob to another, I empathize. As for your goals, eg would get you closer to that goal (less weight as mentioned before). Do ur homework and check carfax. 65K is low but maybe he couldnt afford the expensive gas these dayz. B18b is great for boost heads.</TD></TR></TABLE>