Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pretty sure someone made an attempt to steal my 99 si

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pretty sure someone made an attempt to steal my 99 si

basically i box in a really ghetto part of town.
i have two autolocks..one on the clutch and one on the break
when i got done boxing the molding to my window looked all distored like someone tried to pry it open with a flat head screw driver but quit pretty quickly after they saw i had the two auto locks? either way im extremely paranoid now...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: pretty sure someone made an attempt to steal my 99 si

Up your security and/or get a cheap daily driver and park the Si somewhere safe.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Up your security and/or get a cheap daily driver and park the Si somewhere safe.
im about to just sell it..i mean its pretty retarded i have to worry about some1 stealing a freakin 10 year old civic....im about to put a kill switch though..
Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea same happened to me.... i recomend geting an alarm system as soon as possible b4 some trys it again. kill switch works really good. i had an ej1 with no alarm that some one broke in to and got it to run but i had my kill switch on and thats the only reason i found my car there the next morning... the took my radio but atleast i still had my car
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by clean99si
i mean its pretty retarded i have to worry about some1 stealing a freakin 10 year old civic....
x2!!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Uxi
Honda-Tech Member

2-way alarm if you're really paranoid. Make friendly with the local thugs and maybe they're protect it? lol
Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
H-T White Ops

im about to just sell it..i mean its pretty retarded i have to worry about some1 stealing a freakin 10 year old civic....im about to put a kill switch though..
The scene feeds the theft. If there was no market for stolen parts then there would be no reason to steal the cars in the first place.

But too many people don't care. They just want that good deal.

"If I don't buy it someone else will get the deal." "He's my friend. He'd never steal from me."

The amount of theft in this scene makes it so eventually if you're not really dedicated to these cars then there isn't much reason to keep owning one. Keeping the car hidden and put away becomes part of normal ownership it seems.

Lots of cars will get broken into for an aftermarket deck, but people steal these cars for stock wheels and gauge clusters. Really sucks.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^2nd
Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^3rd
Old 09-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are add on modules for security systems that you can program to notify you if the car leaves a certain predetermined radius by text message on your cell phone. You can also have these modules installed to where you can remotely dissengage your ignition by your phone if the car is being driven. A cpl hundred bucks for the parts, but there is a monthly or annual subscription fee for the service...
Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
H-T White Ops

The unfortunate truth about car theft is that once it's stolen you're just waiting for recovery.

Say you get one of those systems that tells you if your car has moved something like ten feet or more. So you get a text message as soon as that happens.

It's unlikely you'll be running out there and stopping the thief successfully or even in time.

So you luckily get a few more minutes to call the cops to report your car's theft. That will aid in recovery and maybe even an arrest.

I've had my car stolen and see friends' cars stolen too. I have a very pessimistic perspective on car theft and most details about it.

Your timeline:
- Car gets stolen.
- You figure out (by whatever means).
- You report theft.
- Car gets reported as an abandoned vehicle (MAYBE).
- Car gets recovered (MAYBE).
- You get an insurance settlement (MAYBE - if insurance covers it).
- Someone gets arrested (MAYBE).
- Someone gets a light sentence (MAYBE - if previous condition met).

I've known friends who had cars stolen and the car was never recovered. I've had other friends who had their car recovered months and months later, literally chopped up into pieces.

I've never known anyone who figured out who stole their car or who otherwise had an arrest or conviction for the theft. I've known plenty of people who have had cars stolen.

Oh, and the cherry on top is the people who post online saying they known thieves, but they're friends and cool with each other. They'd never report their friend because that's just wrong (kind of like THEFT is wrong, right?).
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont see the point in wasting money on an alarm..my old one broke and all it did was beep every 2 seconds over nothing extremely annoying..most cars that get stolen have alarms..im thinking the auto lock on the clutch and brake is way better than an alarm..plus a kill switch soon...i knew some1 was going to attempt something down there because when i drove by i seen like 1 million ghetto *** kids staring at my car...i recently put rota grids with azenis..apexi ws2 catback..intake header lowered lip etc....the car is way to clean for its own good its just asking to get stolen..sadly ive seen my brother civic get stolen 2 times..1 time in the drive way and another time out of the freakin garage and a neighbor also got his stolen back in like 2004...its honestly freakin pathetic..
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Wasting money?!

It's definitely not a waste...Yeah if somebody wants your car...and has the know how there is potential it will get stolen...and this has been covered in a million ways...but the best way I've seen it described is to make your car a little less marketable to steal than the others. Two civics of similar build...yours has glass sensors and prox two way page and autolocks...they'll turn and jack the guys close by that has a $50 dollar viper alarm installed that was discontinued in 02........

Shittiest thing about it is like NOFX said...sometimes crackheads will steal a deck for a quick dollar and leave your CTR Cluster and other nifty JDM goodies untouched...and then others will smash up a window and wreck your stuff for something like an SI cluster or a climate control bezel :\
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

*You get discounts on insurance too if you have an alarm...so it gets you a little bit back...and you don't get your car "recovered" looking like a $200 craigslist parts shell.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFacedCustoms
Wasting money?!

It's definitely not a waste...Yeah if somebody wants your car...and has the know how there is potential it will get stolen...and this has been covered in a million ways...but the best way I've seen it described is to make your car a little less marketable to steal than the others. Two civics of similar build...yours has glass sensors and prox two way page and autolocks...they'll turn and jack the guys close by that has a $50 dollar viper alarm installed that was discontinued in 02........

Shittiest thing about it is like NOFX said...sometimes crackheads will steal a deck for a quick dollar and leave your CTR Cluster and other nifty JDM goodies untouched...and then others will smash up a window and wreck your stuff for something like an SI cluster or a climate control bezel :\
what is a good alarm to get? pretty sure when i purchased the car it came with the viper alarm lol...most annoying piece of shyt ever...so whats something good?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

They make good ones it's just that the technology gets outdated quick...the thieves have always been crafty. Viper makes really good stuff.

I think there is a sticky in the security section or maybe it's just a really good write-up about the difference in installs...simple like right under the steering column all the way to stealth which they pull your whole dash and tuck most all the wires and GPS tracking and whatnot...I'm about to get off work but when I get home I'll post the link.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
H-T White Ops

As mentioned, an alarm isn't a waste of money.

A broken alarm... maybe. I have a broken alarm. It's on my Prelude daily. It came with the car. Soon it will be coming off the car.

As far as I can tell the remote hasn't worked (besides the light flashes) for at least one owner before me. We had to snip the siren because the alarm would go off sometimes when you try to start the car. Even with the siren snipped, if you replace a battery or otherwise disconnect it, the alarm goes off. Sure, it's silent, but then I can't start the car. You get to sit there in the car with the sound of a relay clicking and your key reminder going off.

Once that alarm is gone I can install an alarm that isn't all screwed up instead.

Anyway though, an alarm is going to fend off some thieves. Maybe not thieves that are decent at getting around one, but those people probably aren't interested in a stock car, for example.

The more modified your car is, the more sought after it is, the more layers of security you should have.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm new to this forum, but I may have some two cents that may be of value here. First off, there is no way to guarantee that your car will not get stolen/tampered with, I've seen people's cars get taken right from their garage. Second, you could make an effective theft deterrent with $10 worth of parts, it's not much about the model/brand of an alarm, as it is about the quality of the installation. That said, here are a few things to look into if you want to make your car as difficult as possible to get into/taken.
  • Fuel delivery interrupt. Starter disable is not good enough, especially if it's a manual transmission car. Look into interrupting the fuel pump or ignition circuit, but make sure to use quality relays/parts and work as poor quality parts/connections could cause your car to die on you while driving.
  • Mechanical theft deterrents - pedal locks, etc. A mechanical hood lock cable is great for preventing people from getting into your engine bay, either to disable your fuel delivery interrupt, disconnect battery (alarm), cut siren/horn, or take parts.
  • Alarm with proximity sensor, tilt sensor, glass break sensor, and as many sirens as you feel necessary. Most of these sensors will need much fine tuning in order to work as intended and prevent annoying falshing, but when working properly, they can give a possible thief a clue that they may just want to move on to the Corolla down the street.
  • Security film. If you want to prevent someone from breaking a window to get into your car, security film will certainly slow someone down. This is usually offered by some tint companies like 3M or Lumar, and soon maybe even car alarm companies. This will make your windows similar to windshields, where they will crack on impact, but not break apart, at least not right away and without some extra effort.
  • Common sense, though security film and alarms may keep your car safe from forced entry, it doesn't leave you immune to the aftermath of the thief TRYING to get in. Park in well lit/traffic areas and don't leave any valuable in plain sight. Sometimes there's not much you can do about where you park, but pick the best place.

None of these things will 100% prevent your car from being a target, but it will certainly put a twist on things for the average moron trying to get at your stuff.

I recently bought my 00 Civic from a girl that was tired of the car getting broken into/stolen. She was lucky enough to get it back TWICE, and when she sold it to me the ignition switch and column were totally busted from the last attempt. I have a little experience with auto security, so the first thing I did was outfit it with a security system easily worth more than the car itself after all of the added measures. It's not going to stop someone with the patience to strip parts off of it, but they'll have to sit through a few obnoxious ear-piercing sirens/horns/lights attracting attention to the car, and that's IF they didn't get the hint from the various warning triggers (looking through the windows, pulling on door handles, etc.)

Moral of the story, the world sucks, people are shady, and you can't change that, but at least you can make them work for it.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
As mentioned, an alarm isn't a waste of money.

A broken alarm... maybe. I have a broken alarm. It's on my Prelude daily. It came with the car. Soon it will be coming off the car.

As far as I can tell the remote hasn't worked (besides the light flashes) for at least one owner before me. We had to snip the siren because the alarm would go off sometimes when you try to start the car. Even with the siren snipped, if you replace a battery or otherwise disconnect it, the alarm goes off. Sure, it's silent, but then I can't start the car. You get to sit there in the car with the sound of a relay clicking and your key reminder going off.

Once that alarm is gone I can install an alarm that isn't all screwed up instead.

Anyway though, an alarm is going to fend off some thieves. Maybe not thieves that are decent at getting around one, but those people probably aren't interested in a stock car, for example.

The more modified your car is, the more sought after it is, the more layers of security you should have.
true.
i had the viper it broke
than i had my stock alarm and than that broke
now i just lock my car with a key.
definately going to get an alarm though.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

was also wondering if the autolock clutch locks are retarded?
i have 1 on brake and 1 on clutch as stated and i would imagine if you dont know what your doing 2 of them can be a real bitch to get off..sometimes i put them on so tight i have trouble getting them off with the key..whats everyones opinoin on these?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only sure way of making sure car will not be stolen is to sleep in it yourself armed. Beside that like most others stated a person will take your car if they are determined enough however adding the extra security measures lets the idiot know that they are going to have alot more problems than with maybe your neighbors car.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally I don't think they're dumb, it's an added measure of protection against your car being moved without your consent. The more layers of protection you have the less likely a thief is to take your car.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

true.
i had the viper it broke
than i had my stock alarm and than that broke
now i just lock my car with a key.
definately going to get an alarm though.
How the hell are you breaking alarms? I have never had a problem with any of the alarms I've ever had installed on any of my cars.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make up your mind.. sell or put in a kill switch and keep? LOL.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol your theft detterants will cost more than the car is worth. Then it will get stolen anyway. Get good insurance. Do your best to prevent it, but accept the fact that it might get stolen. This is how I roll with my EM1. I just try to take my GF's car to crappy neighborhoods lol.

Quick Reply: pretty sure someone made an attempt to steal my 99 si