Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pressure plate issue? Tranny gurus: need assistance pls.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure plate issue? Tranny gurus: need assistance pls.

OK, last night i had an unfortunate event that came on all of a sudden where i could not get into gear and the clutch pedal felt like it was harder to push in than normal. Luckily i was close to home, so i pulled over, started it in 2nd gear, having it hop forward as i did it, and got it going and managed to get it home thankfully.

The car is a 97 civic sedan, with OBD2 JDM D15b, stage 1 exedy clutch that is 2 years old with lots of DD use, track use, autocross and the ocassional street abuse, fidanza flywheel, mint EX/SI tranny.

The car goes in and out of gears just fine when the motor is off (which is how i started it to get home) , but when the motor is on, the clutch feels a lil harder to push down than it usually did, and it would not go into gear. My first reaction was a bad master/slave cylindar, but i checked all that out and it both moves normally and there are no signs of any leakage.

Im convinced that it couldnt be the tranny because it is a mint transmission that has never had any issues, gears are firm, smooth as anything. I change the fluid on it once every 4 or so months with honda MTF only. I drained the fluid and its clean, no signs of any metal specs or shavings. Checked the throwout bearing and fork and both are normal.

Im thinking more along the lines that its the clutch, specifically the pressure plate that has gone on me, because upon looking at it it looks flatter than usual, which would indicate wear, also note that its 2 years old and has been uninstalled and re-intalled about 3 times (once onto my original y7, again onto my D15b, and then again when i put a lighter flywheel on).

Any thoughts, experiences, opinions or help would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pressure plate issue? Tranny gurus: need assistance pls. (97Ej6mike)

Tell me, does this look like a normal shift fork? I cant tell if its supposed to be this shape or if its bent?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found problem: