Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos?

Old 11-09-2003, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos?

I thouhgt I'd got my car all together last night. I rebuilt one of my axles and put it back in correctly, or so I thouhgt. Well anyway I take it for a test drive around my neighborhood. I'm taking it slow and easy and I hear a wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh noise. I say, "Oh crap" I'm 20 ft from my house where I hear a low thud/pop. RPMs go up, but I don't go anywhere. Upon inspection this morning I find that yes, my right axles wasn't pressed in all the way for the popring to snag in the transmission and it worked it's way out.

My question for my repair today is how can you tell if it's popped in all the way? I thought I had got it but apparently I hadn't.

-Jake
Old 11-09-2003, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos? (Ninety2SiR)

i usually just push it all the way in and try to see if i can pull it out by the tranny. don't tug on the axle, ou may damage the cv joint. just pull on the part by the tranny and see if it can come out.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos? (Jswpstdoff)

I just read Tom's how to. Helpful, I wish I read it earlier.

Here is the damage...

The pix suck, but they are supposed to show that the outer most teeth of my CV got shreaded clean off. My thinking is that if I can get the spline to go in and the ring to pop in then it should be good to go assuming I can get the teeth out when I drain the fluid. What do you all think?
Old 11-09-2003, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos? (Jswpstdoff)

we put a clutch in on my friends 98 lude SH and we were all ready to go tear it up and he let off the clutch and we didnt move. The RPM's went up and the MPH moved but we werent. We flipped out because we didnt know what was wrong so we put it back on the lift and found out that the right axle wasnt in all the way. we just smashed it with a rubber mallet until it went in. dont know if that was a good idea or not. Try that. and try to pull it out from the part closest to the trans as stated above.

edit:your post above beat me my 5 seconds
Old 11-09-2003, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos? (GsR HtCh)

Rubber mallet sounds like a good idea, but will my axle work? I'm gonna try and see if I can push it in.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:49 AM

I was able to get it started, it's in, but not all the way. Its got about a 1/2" left to go before its in all the way. Should I try the mallet?
Old 11-09-2003, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (Ninety2SiR)

i say go for it. its been 20000 miles and no problems with his axles. bang away
Old 11-09-2003, 06:06 AM

I would say don't use the mallet. It needs to go straight in, so if you are hitting it on one side with a mallet, then the other side will just hit the side. Just lube up the diff and the spline real good. Stick it straight in and push on the inner joint with all your might. It should make a noise when the snap ring locks it in letting you know it is in. If that still doesn't work, then the splines might be too messed up, and go get a $59.99 special axle from the local parts store.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (King Tut33)

just push really hard, lol... it can be a pain in the *** or just go in. depends on how much your kaaa likes you that day!

-Bryan-
Old 11-09-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Re: (EGStreetHtch)

same thing happend to me...and i dint kno how far it was suposed to go in..my boy came to my house and he just pushed it a few times..andit popped in..he sed if i can take tha axle out wth my hands it aint in all tha way..you should need a crow bar to take it out..he just held tha long skinny part of tha xle n pushed..i dont think it messed n e thing up..
Old 11-09-2003, 03:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ninety2SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rubber mallet sounds like a good idea</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It needs to go straight in, so if you are hitting it on one side with a mallet, then the other side will just hit the side. Just lube up the diff and the spline real good. Stick it straight in and push on the inner joint with all your might. It should make a noise when the snap ring locks it in letting you know it is in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If that still doesn't work, then the splines might be too messed up, and go get a $59.99 special axle from the local parts store.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-09-2003, 04:56 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos? (Kikomon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kikomon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did oil spill out? I though if you took the axles out without draing the oil it would spill</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm it should. It did on my Lude.
Anyway, I'd do the whole mallet thing. That's what we ended up doing with the new axles for the lude at least. Popped right in on one side, but a couple of whacks with the mallet worked on the other. No problems.
As far`as the little bit that got shaved off on your axle, I woulnd't be TOO worried about it. Doesn't really look like too big a deal. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos? (Kikomon)

When and axle doesn't want to go in, don't use anything to force it in like a mallet/hammer. Sit on the ground facing the axle, grab the shaft of the axle, and the end of the axle and kinda push it in quickly/firmly. Do this repeatedly until it goes into place. It will click into place eventually, unless its not the right axle. But by the looks of your axle, you might need another one.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos?

alright first off the axle needs to be flush against the tranny.
if it isnt then it will come out.
if you see any of the shaft sticking out of the tranny it isnt all the way in.

Old 11-09-2003, 05:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Pressing axle into transmission, any tips or how tos? (AzSi22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzSi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When and axle doesn't want to go in, don't use anything to force it in like a mallet/hammer. Sit on the ground facing the axle, grab the shaft of the axle, and the end of the axle and kinda push it in quickly/firmly. Do this repeatedly until it goes into place. </TD></TR></TABLE>

couldnt have said it better myself.
you basically have to hump the axle in. its the best and safest way.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just kicked the hub till it went in. Im sure this isnt the best way, but I was pissed the auto to manual conversion was taking so long so I didnt care anymore.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure the opening on the little clip on the end of the axle is pointing down. put the hub side of the axle in 1st, then place the diff side of the axle into the diff.. pick up the hub and push it forward, towards the tranny. use a good amount of force. should go in on the 1st push.

do not use any kinda of mallet, hammers, or extreme brute force. theres no need at all. if u are resulting to this.. then u are doing somthing wrong. if the hub side of the axel wont go in, try adding some lude and it should slip right in, make sure the splines are lined up good.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:31 AM

I used the mallet and it worked fine. The teeth I shredded off the end were just there to help guide the axle into the transmission. It works great now. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured out the best way, put the axle in by hand into tranny and into knuckle as far as you can. Jack the rotor up by the studs until the axle is completely horizontal. Once the axle is completely horizontal (level with ground) it will slide into both sides effortlessly.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, now how do we take the axle out? Driver side, I think my axle is stuck to the half/intermediate shaft. I had to take off the half shaft/axle to get the whole assembly off of the tranny so I could pull out my engine!

Help!