Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

preferences and differences in EK hatches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preferences and differences in EK hatches?

I'm considering buying a hatch to use as a dual purpose car... primarily a commuter highway machine, but also want something I can toss wheels/tires on and do a track day from time to time.

What years were weaker/stronger, etc.

I'm fairly new to Honda's so I'm just trying to do some homework. Thank you,
-Nick V
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 96 hatch back. The body style was the same from 96-98, and then changed for 99-00. The front end is the difference, and people convert their front ends sometimes if they have a 96-98 to the newer front ends. Motor wise, the cx and the dx are the same. They come in 5 spd and automatic i think. Some have power steering and ac, i don't think the cx has ac. Hatches don't have power windows, doors, or locks, but people convert it to have it sometimes. What do you want in your hatch?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: preferences and differences in EK hatches? (xflowgolf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xflowgolf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm considering buying a hatch to use as a dual purpose car... primarily a commuter highway machine, but also want something I can toss wheels/tires on and do a track day from time to time.

What years were weaker/stronger, etc.

I'm fairly new to Honda's so I'm just trying to do some homework. Thank you,
-Nick V</TD></TR></TABLE>
All '96-'00 USDM Civic hatches had the stock D16Y7 in them. They are all just as powerful (or powerless, if you're a glass-half-full type of person) as each other. The two trims are the CX and the DX. The CX has fewer accessories as standard, but many of those accessories standard on the DX were optional on the CX too.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (Ramma)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ramma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 96 hatch back. The body style was the same from 96-98, and then changed for 99-00. The front end is the difference, and people convert their front ends sometimes if they have a 96-98 to the newer front ends. Motor wise, the cx and the dx are the same. They come in 5 spd and automatic i think. Some have power steering and ac, i don't think the cx has ac. Hatches don't have power windows, doors, or locks, but people convert it to have it sometimes. What do you want in your hatch?</TD></TR></TABLE>
A/C is optional for all Civics that didn't have it standard (I have the accessories book here).

The bodies are the same from '96-'00, but yes, the front ends are different, as are the taillights. In order to do a front end conversion from '96-'98 to '99-'00, you would need a new hood, front fenders, headlights, grille and core support (though the stock core support could be hammered and the front bumper cut to make the front end fit).

Both the CX and DX are available in 4 speed automatic and five speed manual transmissions. Other D-series hydro trannies can easily bolt up to the motor if you wish to do so.

The easiest way to tell a DX from a CX is the rear wiper and sometimes the spoiler. The DX has a long spoiler with a painted top and also has a rear wiper. The CX has a stubby black ABS (one piece) spoiler and no rear wiper, not even a block off plate.

The taillights of '99-'00 hatches are also the same shape as the '96-'98 taillights, meaning they can be swapped (though I recommend getting a wire harness that matches the tailights since the turn signal bulbs are different and making a bulb match can be a pain).

For '96-'97 Civic hatches, there were two interior color combinations: Excel Charcoal aka Light Gray (Type F) and Classy Gray aka Dark Gray (Type K). For '98-'00 the only interior color was Classy Gray.

The exterior colors available on USDM Civic CX and DX hatchbacks are shown below.