Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Precautions when restarting after 2-3 months?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Precautions when restarting after 2-3 months?

My EG2 has been out of it for around 2-3 months ( fixing tranny 1 month, the other 2 months waiting for the clutch kit I order from SOME clutch company who hasn't decided to SHIP it to me yet. . . )

ANYWAYS

I have been wondering, are there any precautions I should take when starting a car that hasn't been started in 2-3 months? Disregard the battery, its being used in another vehicle. Any suggestions? ANYTHING? Thanks in advanced!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Precautions when restarting after 2-3 months?

Sometimes the alternator will seize if its been sitting, other than that I wouldn't really worry about too much.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing you probably don't already know. Don't floor the gas pedal right away and let it get to normal operating temperature before driving anywhere. Did you remember to check the tire pressure and change the oil?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:06 AM

change oil? it's mobil 1 and it had like around 1k miles on it at the most. Ok guys another detail, I live in Puerto Rico, no big temp changes, its like a 12 month summer, its in a garage, so no elements involved. I was just wondering If I should add some oil so it has some oil flowing down from the top before I start it, or something like that. And add something to the gas, or some new gas ( knowing me. . its probably almost empty anyways). etc.

And thanks for the responses!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd still change the oil and add fresh gas to the tank after nearly emptying the tank. Dont pound on the motor until then. The gas should be fine. No turbo, right?.

Take the fuse out to not fire the injectors, and disconnect the distributor and crank the motor over from 5-10 seconds if you battery can handle it. This will prime the crank journals and rod bearings. Adding fresh oil after the change will help the drivetrain.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Stock internals no mileage B16A3, the battery I'm using it in my DD. What do you mean by prime the crank journals? I won't pound on it because of the 500 mile break in period of the new clutch and Pressure plate. Damn it. . . such a waste on oil $$$ guess its better not to skimp on that.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I mean by priming is since you will have no fuel injectors working and the distributor unplugged the oil will slowly get through the pump and prime the crank creating oil pressure. I do this on my chevy s10 everytime because it is a few weeks between trips on the truck. Starts up like a charm everytime.

Don't pound on the car until you fill the tank up with new gas.

I miss PR. I enjoyed my visits there in Fajardo, Ponce, and Boqueron.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM

I grew up in Fajardo!
That sounds great man, I'll do the priming. Since I have to break in the clutch, its gonna be 500 miles of no pounding, no going over 4k RPM, just a lot of cruising ( probably a few trips to Fajardo ). I can't wait to finally receive the clutch and install it!

BTW next time you come back to Puerto Rico, you HAVE to go to CULEBRA Island. It has one of the most beautiful beaches in the World! ( Flamenco Beach)
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM
h_s

crank the motor so sufficient oil can be delivered to the components before a severe load is put on (severe load being combustion), if you dont, it can actually block oil from getting to certain components,

try to use as little of the old gas as possible, the life of gasoline before it starts to break down is only 3 days