Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

powersteering to manual

Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon3 powersteering to manual

Hey I have a 94delslow (b16a3) and I want to remove weight from my car so it will go faster.

I want to remove my powersteering and put in the manual rack so I can get rid of the pumps and lines and all that other junk under there.

I already read the handy FAQ in the sticky - it was very handy indeed. It sounds like you just remove the lines and leave the rack in the car. From there you remove the pumps/lines/etc.

However I'm wondering - is the manual rack and the power rack the same? Because I want to remove weight so if there's a manual rack from a different car that's lighter I want that one. But it sounded like you just disconnect it all and use the same rack...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: powersteering to manual

if you alreeady have a manual rack i would use it for sure cause the powersteering rack isn't hard to remove cause i just did that to my delsol and it's pretty simple and if you use a manual rack it won't be as hard to turn the steering wheel
Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just loop the lines and keep the power rack. It's harder to steer, but it's not horrible. You really won't be removing much weight, the lines and the pump and bracket weigh maybe 15lbs at the most. You'll gain like 2hp from removing the pump from the engine and get the effect of gaining like 1/4hp from the weight loss, if that.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Run the lines into a vented breather can if you want effort to be a little bit less than just looping in to out. Still not quite as easy as a true manual rack, but not bad at all.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the replies.

If I was going to get a manual rack, what could I take it from? I've got a bunch of work to do under there anyways so it all has to come apart whether I get a new rack or not. There's a junkyard right down the street too...
Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think from any EG civic, but I would try to find a Del Sol one if you can. I am not sure if all EG racks are the same or not. As for removing PS, the common thing to do is to just loop the lines. The best thing to do is what you want to do, to put a manual rack and swap out the power rack. The manual racks are designed to make it even easier to turn than just looping the lines.

I have a 98 hatch with PS removed, and I absolutely hate it. Its not bad when driving, but in parking lots its just really annoying. The hatch had powersteering before, and all they did was loop the lines. So I would get a manual rack for sure to make it a bit easier.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take the rack and pinion from the power steering rack and put in in the manaul rack youl get a good ratio and have manualnes..yeah
i think a rack and pinion from an ex though
Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
take the rack and pinion from the power steering rack and put in in the manaul rack youl get a good ratio and have manualnes
You would want to keep manual rack for the better ratio. Rather than going through the cost and hasle of swaping in new manual rack and all that removing the pump and running the lines to a breather can or looping the lines together with about 1/3 of the fluid removed works just fine. The reason people tend to say that effort is too high is because they loop the lines without bleeding off any fluid. If you bleed off some it will greatly reduce effort while still providing good lubrication for the rack. The breather can method works best IMO.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotcha, i'll prolly just loop the lines and leave the power rack in.

It's prolly a bitch changing out the rack anyways.

How much of a difference in feel is it when cornering? I want the opinion of someone who has tried both on their car and drove aggressively. Thanks for the helpses
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PM'd