Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power window unaligned - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window unaligned - advice please!

Hey, My car is a Honda Civic 97 model coupe and the window has recently is not going along the right track.

I dont want to take my door apart and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and could let me know if theres anyway to fix it

The pic below should illustrate the problem specifically

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power window unaligned - advice please!

Pull the door apart and inspect then ?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Manual crank or power window? Sounds like the nuts/bolts that hold the window into the guide on the track fell out. Pull the door panel and you should see your issue.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a power window model

Is there any chance either of you know an online step-by-step illustration to removing the door panel?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I managed to get the door ******* off and had a good look at it. The window has completely come outside the rubber track on 1 side

does anyone know how I could get the window back in place?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove the door panel as follows:

There is a screw on the door opening lever that needs to be removed. There is also a screw in the door handle/power window switches that needs to be removed. There is also a set of screws that hold the speaker in the door that need to be removed.

The first 2 screws are visible. The door speaker screws are under the speaker grill. The grill can be pulled off, just apply a little pressure and pull it away from the door. Remove the screws.

Now that all the screws are removed you can take the parts off. For the door lever, pull the lever as if you were opening the door and pull the surround off. You will have to turn it slightly to get it over the lever. For the door handle pull it forward/back and pull up. It will have 2 connectors attached to it. Remove them. Next the speaker will have 2 speaker wires connected to it. Remove those as well.

Next is the triangle piece by the mirror. I don't know if yours has a speaker or not. Pull on it to remove it. Be careful if you pull it off unevenly the tabs can break. If it has a speaker it will have a wire running beneath the door panel. Just let it hang there till the panel is removed.

The door panel is ready to be removed. Start at the bottom and pull it away from the door. You may need to get it started with a screw driver or some other prying tool. It is only held on with pop clips and you will here them seperating. Go along the panel with you hand
pulling the panel away from the door. After all the clips have been popped the panel will be free from the door. Push up on the bottom of the panel and it should come free from the top of the door. You should see where the door tweeter is connected. Disconnect it.

If your door has never been taken apart you should have plastic covering the entire door. This stuff is a real pain. It is held on by some really annoying sticky stuff that gets all over. LOL. Anyway try to seperate the plastic where it is attached to the door so you can see behind it. The first time I worked on my doors I pulled it away and then stuck it back on. After a while I just completely removed it. It's up to you. I would recommend keeping it on if you can.

With the plastic removed you should be able to see the inner workings of the door. On either side of the door at the bottom there will be 2 bolts. They secure the front and rear rails the window goes up and down on. Lossen the one at the rear of the door. You should be able to pull the window back enough to get it in the front track. If not, loosen the bolt at the front of the door and push the track forward. This might take some clever manuvering but you can do it. Once the window is in both the front and rear tracks pull the tracks toward the window and tighten the bolts.

Connect the door handle with the power buttons to the connectors. Make sure the window goes up and down smoothly. It should. Reinstall the plastic, panel, and other parts.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow great tutorial! I only am having trouble with loosening the 2 bolds that hold the door - I dont have a tool that can get to it

Thank you alot for your time
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 2 bolts that are connected to the window rails are located at the bottom of the door and you use a regular 10mm socket to loosen tighten them. They are in plain sight.

See this? There is another one located in the same general area near the front.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aw man Im glad you replied

I managed to get it fixed I was trying to loosen wrong bolts

Im proud of doing this. Thank you heaps man!!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool!