Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power Steering Rack Knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Power Steering Rack Knock

My 2000 Civic EX just rolled over 200,000 miles! It's basically still like a new car, all the mechanicals are perfect. The steering rack, the only thing I haven't rebuilt/swapped/upgraded up to this point, is giving me some noise.

The driver side has a knock sound. I can grab the inner tie rod where it threads onto the rack (inward of both ball joints) and I can move that piece forward and backward too much IMO, and I can make the knocking noise. I have new outer and inner tie rod ends already installed, new ball joints, wheel bearings check out too. Installed a new driver side axel last night. I had lost a lot of PS fluid sometime recently it seems. The boot on the driver side is wet with fluid. I topped the fluid off back to the full line, drove it around today, and it's still at the same exact spot as it was earlier when I filled it. Either the leak is really slow, or only happens under certain conditions. While sitting, moving the wheel left and right and even sitting at full lock didn't cause any drop in fluid level.

So, I also just learned about the rack adjustment screw. It appears this is a spring pressure that holds the rack gear to the steering column gear (the pinion?). Sorry my terminology usage on PS racks isn't up to snuff.

So I wonder if there's too much play in that area, and I wonder if I tighten that down a little, will my knock go away and will my leak stop? Has anyone gone through this? I have a feeling it's just worn some excess play, but has not ruined the seal yet. I'm hoping if I can quell the excess play, I will be able to milk the rack for some more life, and allow the seal to last longer.

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering Rack Knock

I just drove 500 miles tonight, and the fluid level is exactly where it was when I topped it off.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to readjust the steering adjustment screw without Honda's special tool.

The knock occurs most audibly after I brake to a complete stop. Then set off. But, I could be driving around for a while, and then engine brake abruptly, then get back on the gas semi-quick and I will hear it pop/knock as well.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering Rack Knock

You should suck it up and buy the wrench. It's cheap and makes it soooo much easier. You will want to fiddle around with different settings until you find the steering feel that's just right for you. May take a week or two to iron it out perfectly (but totally worth it).

BTW: If that doesn't cure the knock sound, also consider the subframe. It could be the mounting bolts are not tight or perhaps it's dirty between the subframe and chassis allowing it to shift under load. This is a pain to track down, but sometimes dropping the subframe a few inches, cleaning everything, and re-installing is the way to go.