Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Rack

whats the best one out there?(besides honda) i went to honda and they wanted to charge me $560 for one...., i just went online on rockauto.com and found one for $365, has anyone gotten one offline and it was good quality? btw, my car is a 93 civic ex
Old 09-13-2009, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Power Steering Rack

whats wrong with your rack? (ha) is this your daily driver, or do you have something else to drive? if so, then just take it off and tear it apart, take a look inside and see if you can clean it up and replace anything. you can order parts individually, such as seals, the pinion, clips, bushings, bellows, etc. and end up spending alot less- somewhere around $100-200 depending on the damage. www.hondaautomotiveparts.com will have almost everything on list, not sure who actually has some of those parts still in circulation though. there are also some other sites that have remans for about $200. are they on par with something from autozone? maybe, i dont really know. although i will say i have a 93 ex also, and right before i bought it, the guy before me said he replaced the rack (i still talk to him) and that he got it from autozone... the rack is shaking violently when braking, and clicking when steering. luckily its not my daily driver anymore, so im taking it apart today to take a look inside, and see what the story is.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not a very good idea to bust the rack apart, especially if you don't know what you are doing.......what we do at work is normally, is call the local parts store, and get a rebuilt one, they are way cheaper and will give you an exchange rate for your old one.....try oriellys auto parts or autoZone any store like that.......but if you replace it, you will have to take off you outer tie rod ends and swap them to the new one......but make sure you count how many rotations it is to take of so you can count that many back when putting it on on the new one......it won't be exact but it will be better and make it easier to drive to the alignment shop.......you will need to have it aligned if you do it this way...
Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or you can buy mine i have an extra ps rack from an Ej1, and a non ps rack...
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 PM

well if you dont take it apart, you'll never know how it works or what you're doing, right? mine is laying in pieces in the driveway right now. in addition to the violent shaking, there was a leak in one of the seals, because there was PS fluid coming out of the bellows. of course i want to bust it open and see whats going on in there. even if i cant fix it or figure it out, im putting it back together with all the pieces and returning it as a core.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well thats cool kyalstyle but not all people know what they are doing when taking it apart.....some people are clueless.....not all, just some......
Old 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM

i'll agree there. although, i feel that if you're capable enough to actually pull the rack out without losing any fingers, you should be able to handle a few bolts from the rack. however, when its all said and done, it is much easier to just walk into a store and trade it in. so, if its just leaking, theres the difference between like $40 for a seal kit, or $200 for a new one altogether- a matter of preference and skill level i suppose.