Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering Issues

So the steering is hard and feels like it does not even have power steering. When I am on the highway or even a back road going straight is smooth, but when I turn I have to grip the wheel tight because when I turn it a little there is this point where the wheels give a tug. I know the alignment is off because my front tires had inner wear on them. Would this cause the car to give a pull though? It does not matter which way I turn, if i turn to the left it will give a hard pull to the left, turn to the right there is this tug to the right. Even on the highway, you know how you have to keep moving the wheel to keep straight, sometimes it will pull me to one side or the other. I looked to see if there was power steering fluid, and there is. The pulley is all hooked up too. Im at a lost
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Izo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power steering Issues

Buy a Haynes manual - Get one on ebay for 5 bucks. There is fairly useful troubleshooting section in the beginning with various symptoms-to-solutions :-)

Freely from Haynes: 'You need to check if there are loose or damaged steering components' - Most likely Lower Ball Joints (LBJ) and / or tie rods are in need of replacement. When this is checked get an alignment.
Most likely you're running toe-out instead of a mild toe-in on the front tires causing the wear. Damaged or loose steering components can also cause this - Get it fixed if any before the alignment.