Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

power steering delete

Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 power steering delete

ok, ive been having all sorts of problems with my power steering, first the rack was leaking fluid, now its not (now that i put HONDA power steering fluid in) but the power steering pump is shot and its making this annoying noise like there's a minibike in my engine. Ive read that i can just remove the ps belt and pump and loop the supply line to basicly make it manual steering. I like it without the power steering, so i think im gonna do it.

but first...

anybody have any advice? how bout pics of the process? I was gonna replace the rack but if i can leave it and delete the power supply without much trouble, id rather do that. Should I replace the rack anyway? if i have to replace the rack, is it easier to just put a manual rack in?

...ive been putting this off for like 2 months now cause i just dont know what i should do!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: power steering delete

i filled my lines up with P.S fluid and looped it back in and did not replace the rack ive been fine for 3 yrs now no problems. u could buy the kit that has a reservoir u could fill.. just disconnect the belt for now .
Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, thats good to know. so i should just disconnect the belt so itll stop making that noise, huh? easy enough!

btw, this kit youre talking about, is it a breather kit? do you know where to get them?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

curious about the breather kit to does this make turning easier when you loop the lines?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and bump
Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm selling a rebuilt power steering pump (rebuilt with OEM Honda seals and bearing, did the work myself about 1000 miles ago) for only $35 + shipping. There are only a couple minor things wrong with it. There is a chip in the pulley (still works perfectly though and the belt won't be affected). You can reuse your pulley if you want. Also one of the two side mounting bolts is broken in the threads. I had been using it just fine with one side mounting bolt, it really doesn't matter as long as at least one bolt is holding it down tight on the side. The top adjustment bolt will hold the rest of it in place just fine.

You can't just remove the belt to the power steering pump belt, then the impeller (I think that's what it's called) in the pump will not be turning and it will make turning the wheel harder because when you turn the wheel, fluid flows through the hoses and if the impeller is just sitting there then you have to work harder to turn the wheel because the fluid is trying to turn the impeller.

You can do what I did though... just need some hose clamps, 2 brass hose connectors, and some rubber fuel line... much easier than the setup everyone else does. You need a reservoir in the setup anyway so might as well just use the stock one.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good idea there.

OP I would try ^ first.

I have replaced the rack with the engine removed. If you have to do it with the engine in, it will be a PITA but it can be done.

You'll have to disconnect the shift linkage, exhaust, plus the steering as required.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
You can't just remove the belt to the power steering pump belt, then the impeller (I think that's what it's called) in the pump will not be turning and it will make turning the wheel harder because when you turn the wheel, fluid flows through the hoses and if the impeller is just sitting there then you have to work harder to turn the wheel because the fluid is trying to turn the impeller.

You can do what I did though... just need some hose clamps, 2 brass hose connectors, and some rubber fuel line... much easier than the setup everyone else does. You need a reservoir in the setup anyway so might as well just use the stock one.

is that all u messed with? remove everything and leave only the hose to the resivour intact ... like whats goin on under the resivour? pretty cool, im also wantin to remove mine and cant find adapters anywheres...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Underneath my reservoir it's exactly how it is in stock form. I just removed the pump, used a hacksaw to cut the high pressure line, and then connected it altogether.

Most people remove all the power steering lines and such because they're trying to clean up the engine bay. This way works exactly the same but the only thing removed from the engine bay is the pump.
Also what I liked about doing it this way is that if for some random reason I ever decided to switch back, all I would need is a new high pressure line, a pump, and the short hose between the pump and reservoir.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so u still have the lines in the bumpers grill?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, but it doesn't matter to me.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotcha, ima take a look at mine tomorrow and see exactly how to set it up...