Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

power rack and pinion VS non power rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power rack and pinion VS non power rack and pinion

94 civic EX with 2000 GSR swap.

Previous owner swapped the motor in and didn't install A/C or power steering. He cut the lines feeding the power rack and pinion. Guy I bought the car from reinstalled the A/C but not the power steering.

Due to the rack and pinion not being lubricated it has worn out and developed some play. I want to replace it but should I go with a non power rack and pinion and not bother trying to located all the components to make the power steering work on this car or just find all the parts. As of right now the car is vary difficult to maneuver in tight places and with the play in the steering it feels weird while driving it.

So if I go with the non power steering rack and pinion I just install a the new rack and I'm done. Right?

If I go with making the power steering work I'll need the GSR pump, pump brackets, all the bolts, belt, pressure hose, return hose and reservoir.

Is that it?
Also will the GSR hoses fit the civic chassis and will the hose fittings fit the civics rack?

I found the answer to this I believe.
GSR = 18mm Male Captive O-Ring x 14mm Male Inverted Flare x 56"
civic EX = 14mm Male Captive O-Ring x 14mm Male Inverted Flare x 55"
So the hoses should work. I'm thinking the 14mm is the rack fitting and the captive o ring side is the pump side.
The return hoses look to be the same just cut to length.
Thanks

Last edited by 94_gsr_civic; 08-10-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: power rack and pinion VS non power rack and pinion

Civic and Integra are different for most of the components. The only thing the same is the pump and IIRC the feed line. The rack, reservoir, return lines and cooler are all different. The Civic rack has a 3rd line the Integra lacks, I found this out the hard way swapping in an Integra rack.

You can use the Integra rack (it's turns quicker lock to lock by about 1 turn) but you need to use all the associated parts as well. The subframe is the same in either case, other than the Integra will have a stiffening bar (this can be installed on a civic subframe, the holes are there for it)

In both cases you'll need a '92 - '95 Civic/'94 - '97 Integra pump and brackets from a '94 - '01 Integra GS-R (lower bracket can come from any '94 - '01 Integra, but the upper needs to be GS-R IIRC)

Buy everything else for the rack you're buying

If you go with a manual rack you should also replace the subframe with one from a '92 - '95 CX/VX. it is different where the rack bolts to it, there are ways to shim up a PS subframe so it works but it's better to just get the right subframe.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just swap a manual rack in the hard lines on the rack are a pain in the *** to get to, not to mention that's one more thing your engine has to use power to run....while your down there its a good time to check ball joints and axles. Both will make steering much better if replaced if worn....struts to
Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm most likely going to go with the manual rack just because it will be faster and cheaper to do. Plus the 5-6HP average loss from driving the pump sucks.

I've already went threw the ball joints and they are all ether new or in good shape. It has brand new adjustable upper control arms and brand new axles on both sides. Also noticed it has braided stainless steel brake lines that look brand new along with urethane sway bar bushings. Struts are all in perfect shape and look pretty new.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: power rack and pinion VS non power rack and pinion

Originally Posted by 94_gsr_civic
I'm most likely going to go with the manual rack just because it will be faster and cheaper to do. Plus the 5-6HP average loss from driving the pump sucks.

I've already went threw the ball joints and they are all ether new or in good shape. It has brand new adjustable upper control arms and brand new axles on both sides. Also noticed it has braided stainless steel brake lines that look brand new along with urethane sway bar bushings. Struts are all in perfect shape and look pretty new.

hey man im getting ready to do the same thing to my 95 ex. i have a B20 in mine and the rack went out last week. if ya get a chance post some pics cause i wanna see how ya shim the rack. i never knew that switching out the subframe was something that makes it jus bolt right up. i ws gonna get a rack out of a 95 dx. thanks man and good luck!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Eric the car guy has a full 2 part video on youtube on how to change it out
Old 08-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teamXteg
hey man im getting ready to do the same thing to my 95 ex. i have a B20 in mine and the rack went out last week. if ya get a chance post some pics cause i wanna see how ya shim the rack. i never knew that switching out the subframe was something that makes it jus bolt right up. i ws gonna get a rack out of a 95 dx. thanks man and good luck!
Its going to be a while before I can afford to do this and have time to do it.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are swapping over to a manual rack remember to grab the u joint thing (can't think of the name right now) the splined shaft on the manual rack are larger than PS one so you will need to it hook it up to the steering coloum (its late, screw spelling)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE:

Last week I pulled the motor and swapped my no 3rd gear grinding GSR transmission for a good LS 5th gear GSR transmission. While I had the motor out I swapped the power steering rack for a manual rack out of a civic coupe I found a pull a part that looks brand new( no grease or dirt on it at all).

I found a write up on here about the swap and followed it and it worked perfectly. The write up I found.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...+steering+rack
I used the power sub frame and power U clamp and rubber bushing from my EX. I placed the power rubber bushing over the rudder bushing on the manual rack and used the power U clamp to hold it down. Its a tight fit but it holds it completely solid.

Steering feels so much lighter and more responsive. I need to take it in for a aliment but I have to wait on my W2 so I can get some new front tires.

Last edited by 94_gsr_civic; 01-06-2014 at 06:17 AM.