Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Potential trouble ahead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential trouble ahead?

Please don't let it be the alternator.
This morning, while i'm stuck in traffic I noticed that when I hit the brakes, the lights would fade. I hit them a few times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things, then the cd player turned off. And continued to turn off every other time I hit the brakes? Please don't let it be the alternator.

So, I was wondering what this could possibly be? All the lights fade everytime I hit the brakes. And the cd player turns off?

Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:29 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: Potential trouble ahead? (SpiritUnreal)

UGH.. sounds like the...... alternator to me man.

You can take it off and get it checked at Autozone. They will give you a definate answer on if its good or not. That way, you'll know before you shell out the $$.

Take it, get it checked. Start troubleshoooting from there.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Potential trouble ahead? (kKdARIAN)

Grble, we don't have an autozone here. Is there anything I can do to check for myself...oh, yeah, take off the negative while its running, but will that be a good enough test to forsee it goin dead?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:47 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely your alternator man. Do you have a pepboys or something else around?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Potential trouble ahead? (kIeT-y0)

Nah, I live out in BFE, but I think we've got somethin like it. I think i'll go see if they can do anything. Any idea how long it'll last if the symptoms are just starting this morning? I won't have any money till the first?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:56 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More signs is when everything in your car starts flicking...like cluster, headlights, radio, etc...etc... Hurry up.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Potential trouble ahead? (kIeT-y0)

Gah, I just went and played with it, looked at my grounds and stuff. What's that thing right above the alternator? Is it the powersteering pump, cause there's a ton of gunk under it.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Potential trouble ahead? (kKdARIAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kKdARIAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can take it off and get it checked at Autozone. They will give you a definate answer on if its good or not. That way, you'll know before you shell out the $$.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This isn't going to be the last time I say this. They <U>WILL NOT</U> give you a definate answer. They told me I needed a new alternator (good thing I took it to the garage before making a purchase). As stated, I took to the garage I go to after being told I need a new alternator. The took the alternator and had it tested and it was fine. The problem was DIRTY CONNECTIONS. They cleaned the connections and charged the battery and haven't had a problem since. This should be the first thing checked when having charging problems. It can really save you money.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Potential trouble ahead? (JRI94)

They can do full electrical system diagnostics at any NAPA. Ask the grungy lookin dudes behind the parts counter.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This isn't going to be the last time I say this. They <U>WILL NOT</U> give you a definate answer. They told me I needed a new alternator (good thing I took it to the garage before making a purchase). As stated, I took to the garage I go to after being told I need a new alternator. The took the alternator and had it tested and it was fine. The problem was DIRTY CONNECTIONS. They cleaned the connections and charged the battery and haven't had a problem since. This should be the first thing checked when having charging problems. It can really save you money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point, where are the connectors that were dirty?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpiritUnreal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good point, where are the connectors that were dirty?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, I'm not sure which one's they are. I wasn't at the garage when they did it. All I know is they cleaned all the connections that have that have to do with the alternator and battery and everything in between. Someone else should be able to clear this up a little better. To All: Help if you can.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a d and b series alt (70 amp) if you need it