Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possibly looking at getting a Honda Civic Hatchback...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly looking at getting a Honda Civic Hatchback...

I came from the Subaru world and now possibly looking into getting a 2000 Honda Civic Hatchback! But now I have some questions for all you guys on Honda-tech! I want to put a k20a2 engine into the hatchback and build the engine!

Right now it's all a thought in my head and I want to get a plan layed out before I go on with the plan and buy the hatchback...

Looking at swapping in a k20a2 and building the engine. I am thinking about building the engine with these parts:

-Type R head
-Type R pistons
-Mugen/Type R headers
-Skunk 4.77 cam gears
-ITB?
-I/H/E

Am I missing anything else for the engine rebuild?

And How much power am I looking at?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Possibly looking at getting a Honda Civic Hatchback...

Intake with ITB's? I dont think so lol. I really wouldnt do ITB's unless ur building a race car. A K20 with type R internals should make ~220-230 HP. Your looking at a ALOT of money to do this though. Thats why K series swaps are not done alot these days. Because they are so damn expencive and dont offer much for that money.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

k20 in a civic.. and you live in california..?? reffing that will be a pain.. heard you will need to swap the gas tank too for the sensors.. good luck with that..
Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power in the 220 hp area... cost...(without ITB's) well over $5000 in parts alone. Bear in minds that K20A's don't exactly slide right into prev. gen engine bays either.

The wiring is relatively complicated (not impossible) and there are a few sensors you will need. That being said many people have done it. But do some research on B16 and B18 swaps. They are significantly cheaper and if you're willing to play around with boost can net you better HP results. Just make sure you know a good tuner because that is the most important part.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by B16AGUY
Power in the 220 hp area... cost...(without ITB's) well over $5000 in parts alone. Bear in minds that K20A's don't exactly slide right into prev. gen engine bays either.

The wiring is relatively complicated (not impossible) and there are a few sensors you will need. That being said many people have done it. But do some research on B16 and B18 swaps. They are significantly cheaper and if you're willing to play around with boost can net you better HP results. Just make sure you know a good tuner because that is the most important part.
Shoot a k20 i hatch be nice, but your looking at some work,time, and money.
as b16guy said they dont swap in to well that why b series are favored more.
with all that money you could have very well built b series maybe even some boost if you would like.
i have a 96 ek hatchh lovve it. So yaaa on hatch butt the K20 go for it if you got the money an all but if not keeep dreamin like the rest.haaa.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kurtiis
Looking at swapping in a k20a2 and building the engine. I am thinking about building the engine with these parts:

-Type R head
-Type R pistons
-Mugen/Type R headers
-Skunk 4.77 cam gears
-ITB?
-I/H/E

Am I missing anything else for the engine rebuild?

And How much power am I looking at?
Why not a K20A "Type R"?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya he might as well get a K20A, since hes looking to get a K20 and put all the type R **** in it anyway. And I didnt notice he lives in Cali. Def not a good idea. They will steal that **** pretty fast over there. Unless you like keep it underground in a laser guarded room.

Take a look at this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_K_engine
Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eh, I wanted to try and stay as legal as I could since I live in CA. Maybe I should try and find a b18c5 and keep it stock? I really don't know much about honda's and I am trying to learn as much as I can.

So if you guys were to build a B-series and had lets say less than $10k to build + install + tune + etc what would you guys buy?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kurtiis
Eh, I wanted to try and stay as legal as I could since I live in CA. Maybe I should try and find a b18c5 and keep it stock? I really don't know much about honda's and I am trying to learn as much as I can.

So if you guys were to build a B-series and had lets say less than $10k to build + install + tune + etc what would you guys buy?
go H2B..
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, what can be done in California? Will they check the stamp on the engine to see if it's original? I doubt you could get away with a H series. People at the test stations would have seen thousands of cars and would probably be able to see that something isn't right. A B18C5 or a B18C1 with the Type R OEM header and such would be about the best I think you could get away with since guys have complained about having issues even with C.A.R.B. certified intakes and headers.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So k20a2 would not be LEGALLY swapped into the EK? =(.

All I really want is a good Daily Driver that gets me from point A to point B. And on weekends be able to smash on most cars.

How much would it cost to swap a K20a2 into the hatch plus wiring, etc?