Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

possible timing issue, weird idle, help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible timing issue, weird idle, help appreciated

Hi everyone...I'm not a Honda owner but i've been doing some work on my buddies daily driver he just picked up. Not sure of the engine code but its a 94 hatch dx and its got a SOHC non vtec 1.5ltr in there. It had a ton of oil leaks so we got all the seals and gaskets, oil pan, valve cover, spark plug gaskets, cam seal. So we pull the entire thing apart. For the cam seal we wanted to get all the sludge out of the lil pools of oil where the cam sits so we pulled the valve train and the cam. Put it all back together. We lined up the sproket to the "up" with the two horizontal lines being where they should. Put the motor at Its timing mark, put the belt back on (still have no clue where the timing belt tensioner is so we just tilted the cam to slip it over). We replaced the cap and rotor and plugs and wires. Alot of stuff. So heres my question after reading my breif story....The car cranks up and sounds smooth, no bad noises BUT the idle is high, and when warm sits around 1000 rpms. Now i called a friend and he says he thinks that my timing belt may be off one tooth. Is this true or possible? If it is true, is there an easier way to move the timing over one tooth to correct it. If its not true what could be a possible reason? I check for leaks in vaccume hoses....nothing i could see. Any help would be appreiciated. My aim is brett3oozx if anyone wants to do it that way
Old 10-26-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i warmed her up and she settled to a nice 800 rpms...so i took her for a spin...seemed very smooth, with a lil smoke but i think thats from all the degreaser and spilt oil over the exhaust burning off. So i come to a stop and she is idleing kinda low now, like 500-600 max and its kinda fluxuating. So i'm thinking this is still a timing issue, or maybe it has to much oil? I checked but the dipstick seams to grab everything on its way up so i cant really see the exact level but it looks close to perfect from what i can tell. Any help is appreiciated...thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (boostking)

it should idle at 1500 cold, 750 warm. at least that's what the ecu tries to get the motor to do. If the cam gear is off a tooth, it probably would run like that. Just put the crank at TDC and make sure the cam gear is too. If its not, slide the belt off, turn the cam gear to tdc and slide it back on. then turn the crank about 2-3 full rotations (to get the tensioner to tighten the belt properly before you crank it).