Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it possible to install an USDM ITR rear sway bar on EK without a subframe brace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to install an USDM ITR rear sway bar on EK without a subframe brace?

Notice I said is it physically possible to mount it with out. I am fully aware that sub frame brace like an ASR is needed to protect the sub frame from tearing. A sub frame brace is on the want list but is not in my current budget due to a recently lost job.

I all ready have the ITR sway bar, D-brackets and bushings, and SI end links. I wanted to try it out on the car to see if the handling difference is worth it to me or if I should just sell off the parts due to the lost job. I figured if the handling difference is worth it to me I will hold onto the parts until I can get the sub frame brace.

Not looking for opinions on whether I should run the brace. Just looking for fact to see if I can mount the rear sway bar correctly with out a sub frame brace.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to install an USDM ITR rear sway bar on EK without a subframe brac

it will physically mount, yes.

what are you gonna do when it tears out? you'll be even deeper in the hole than if you didn't put it on at all.

you will need mount brackets off an si and the asr backing plates though.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to install an USDM ITR rear sway bar on EK without a subframe brac

Originally Posted by kyden
it will physically mount, yes.

what are you gonna do when it tears out? you'll be even deeper in the hole than if you didn't put it on at all.
Is it going to tear out on the test drive?

Read the first post again. I want to determine if I should keep hoarding the parts or sell them off. I want to determine if the change in handling is worth it to me, if not no sense of holding onto the parts when I could use the money.

If it can be properly installed I will put it on, test drive, than put the SI bar back on. If I like what I feel I will keep the ITR bar. If I can live without it I will put it up for sale.

If it can be mounted without the brace, what part/s am I missing? Searching here has not come up with a definitive answer.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you mount it? Yes. Should you? No.

Could it tear on the test drive? Yes, it very well could. No one can answer yes or no on that. It's not possible to know.

A rear sway is probually one of the best things you can do to these cars, and bigger is better to a certain point. The 22mm is definetly a very popular sway bar.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Can you mount it? Yes. Should you? No.

Could it tear on the test drive? Yes, it very well could. No one can answer yes or no on that. It's not possible to know.

A rear sway is probually one of the best things you can do to these cars, and bigger is better to a certain point. The 22mm is definetly a very popular sway bar.
x2, This man speaks the truth
Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ITR bar is actually a noticeable upgrade. It makes the car a lot more stable in cornering. I have one on my daily driven 1993 Civic LX with a turbo gsr engine. I take interstate offramps at about 60+ mph and no tires squeeling or anything. Not recommended, but I want to know what it's capable of.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Salami
Not looking for opinions on whether I should run the brace. Just looking for fact to see if I can mount the rear sway bar correctly with out a sub frame brace.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for all of the opinions. Not one person except the guy below answered the question of if the ITR can be mounted correctly and how if it can.

Originally Posted by kyden
you will need mount brackets off an si and the asr backing plates though.
The D bracket for the ITR bar will not mount up to the 99-00 SI mounting brackets.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No the D bracket wont, as it's bigger then the 99-00 SI d bracket.

You would need a "universal/adjustable D bracket. Instead of holes, you have slots.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there a Honda bracket that will work? Or a company that makes a bracket that is compatible?