Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible IAC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible IAC Issues

I have a bone stock 1999 civic ex D16Y8 MT

tuesday I got a CEL when getting off the ramp to work. When this light came on I had major drive ability issues whenever i let on or off the accelerator it would buck and kick. I ran the code and it was code 14 IAC. I searched the forums for possible reasons solutions. So when I got off work I drove it home with no drive ability issues.

I cleaned the two ports on the IAC with Carb Cleaner. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes then fired it up and let it idle for approx 5-10 minutes. Then i shut it off and turned it back on to which i took a short 2-5 mile drive (no issues).

the next morning on when going to work i turn the motor on. I reach for the radio and when i look back i have a CEL. I said "screw it" and drove to work.

At work i checked the CEL it was 71 which is a random misfire in cyl 1
After work i went to the honda dealership i used to work at and bought new plugs and wires because i haven't touched them in the 50k miles i've put on this thing. I reset the ECU and haven't had an issue.

One thing i am observing is that my idle surges from 1k-2k cold, 1k-1.5k warm. It never did this before i cleaned the IAC.

I got to work fine today but did notice that my cruise control which has been acting crappy for a few year now. Completely does not work. Besides the idle the car is running fine.

two Questions. Should i go ahead and get a new IAC. and also is the IAC a major component in cruise control and could it have possibly been the issue with my cruise i've been having for a few years now?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Possible IAC Issues

you have a vacuum leak where the line either goes from the manifold to the carbon canister or from the canister to the cruise control unit. This is what it causing your idle surge. This could have caused the problem with the IAC or caused the system to falsely report it. The random misfire could have been the bad plugs as you said its not doing it anymore. But definitely check your vacuum lines, there is a leak in them somewhere.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible IAC Issues

Originally Posted by Jimster480
you have a vacuum leak where the line either goes from the manifold to the carbon canister or from the canister to the cruise control unit. This is what it causing your idle surge. This could have caused the problem with the IAC or caused the system to falsely report it. The random misfire could have been the bad plugs as you said its not doing it anymore. But definitely check your vacuum lines, there is a leak in them somewhere.
Thanks, I was figuring that after reading some other threads. I'll check for leaks after work and get back to you guys.