Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible Fuel Injector Leak + OBD1 Scanner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible Fuel Injector Leak + OBD1 Scanner Questions

1995 Honda Civic EX coupe with JDM b20b swap. M/T, 85k miles (supposedly)

Anyone purchased or used this particular scanner: OBD Diagnostics Bluetooth Interface Scanner Honda OBD1 OBD2A 3 Pin + Hondash App pf so, review please.

I've noticed the engine oil has a gas smell to it so, concerned injector(s) may be leaking. I know I can disconnect, remove them, spray them in a bucket, and inspect for o-ring and part failure leaks. A proper OBD1 scan tool can also determine proper function correct? The engine bay always smells like gas fumes however, not surprising because the previous owner omitted the evaporator (charcoal) canister and there's just and unplugged hose near the firewall that at one point connected to the evap can. This read describes symptoms of injector leak: Symptoms of Bad Fuel Injectors and the engine in my car is hard to start on inclines and declines when engine is hot, has a surging/hunting idle when decelerating to a stop that last a few seconds.,and occasionally longer.
Has fuel smell but most likely related to missing evap can. Fuel mileage is good. Doesn't have a cylinder or other misfire, no vacuum leaks. Acceleration and performance under load is very smooth.

One problem with buying a Frankenfuck car is it's hard to find all the issue before purchasing. Overall it's been good other than a few repairs expected with a 22 year old car.

Any/all suggestions appreciated
Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Possible Fuel Injector Leak + OBD1 Scanner Questions

Examining the spark plugs can show if something is "different" about one cylinder, like a bad injector. Too much gas means black soot and carbon on the plug. Then you move the injectors around and see if the different deposit on spark plug follows them.

You need an EVAP system to avoid that smell of evaporating gas. It's not a complicated system to put back on and it won't reduce performance any.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Anyone purchased or used this particular scanner: OBD Diagnostics Bluetooth Interface Scanner Honda OBD1 OBD2A 3 Pin + Hondash App pf so, review please.
For the price, I'd be willing to try it.

I've seen a DYI with a little C+ or C# programming open source for OBD1. Nothing to this scale though. Might be worth the try.

Thank you for sharing, I will bookmark it for future purchase.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=mk378;51275809]Examining the spark plugs can show if something is "different" about one cylinder, like a bad injector. Too much gas means black soot and carbon on the plug. Then you move the injectors around and see if the different deposit on spark plug follows them./QUOTE]

Simple and effective..will try it soon..Thanks

Originally Posted by mk378
You need an EVAP system to avoid that smell of evaporating gas. It's not a complicated system to put back on and it won't reduce performance any.
Not sure if it presently has evap solenoid/valves do you know which ones are needed?
Any compatibilty issues with B20 engine?
Should I pull them (including canister) from a 92-95 or is 96-00 a possibilty as well?

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 05-07-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
For the price, I'd be willing to try it. I've seen a DYI with a little C+ or C# programming open source for OBD1. Nothing to this scale though. Might be worth the try.
Thank you for sharing, I will bookmark it for future purchase.
Here's their homepage: Hondash I intend to email or call them to verify.