Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible A/C Compressor Bearing Issue and A/C Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible A/C Compressor Bearing Issue and A/C Questions

1997 Civic EX (stock) coupe . A/T, 150K miles. Purchased 10 months ago.. no service records from previous owner.

Spent yesterday isolating what seems to be a worn out a/c compressor bearing. Idle pulley is working properly and without noise. New Bando A/C, PS, ALT belts installed yesterday (routine maintenance) . At this point the noise is constant when clutch is engaged or disengaged. I plan on repairing this asap before it seizes.

I haven't tried any auto a/c repair (have done a few minor home a/c split unit repairs) and I feel now is the time to give it a go. I do not take A/C repair lightly and plan to be as cautious and environmentally correct as possible. In my limited experience I know that both under-charging and over-charging the systems freon and PAG oil can cause issues. I've had several mechanics throughout the years tell me that when replacing an a/c compressor the receiver drier needs to be replaced as well. Should expansion valves(s), condensor or other parts be replaced too? Once the system is evacuated of Freon is it still under pressure? I plan to do more reading before I start on this. My brother has some auto a/c experience in case I need help and I will borrow his a/c gauges and tools. My son's friend is selling a new OE compressor for a bargain price... less than a clutch/bearing kit.

As a side note I a couple months ago I sprayed some HVAC cleaning foam (stated for use on car's condenser and radiator fins on label) on the outer fins of the radiator and condenser and hosed off thoroughly with light pressure water (to avoid bending fins). Not sure if this may have clogged the condenser? Compressor still works, air is still cold (though not efficient) so I doubt foaming/rinsing it caused any damage.

Any/all tips, comments, links, recommendations appreciated.

I watched the video below and he gives a few tips. For whatever reason he never reports on the results of trying out Artic Freeze ultra synthetic 134a and ice32:

Old 10-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Possible A/C Compressor Bearing Issue and A/C Questions

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
the noise is constant when clutch is engaged or disengaged.
Sounds like the compressor pulley bearing is bad. If the bad bearing hasn't damaged the compressor shaft, then you can just replace the bearing. This should not require removal of the compressor or recovery of the refrigerant.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Possible A/C Compressor Bearing Issue and A/C Questions

Originally Posted by RonJ
Sounds like the compressor pulley bearing is bad. If the bad bearing hasn't damaged the compressor shaft, then you can just replace the bearing. This should not require removal of the compressor or recovery of the refrigerant.
I plan to go compressor pulley bearing and clutch kit route. Thanks Ron