Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible blow tranny or clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible blow tranny or clutch

i miss shifted going from 3rd to 4th and hit 2nd. Well somthing broke and the clutch started feeling funny, and then the car stoped moving. So now it wont move at all but it runs, and if i put it in gear and leave it the car wont cut off.

Ok so now of course the first thing i wanna know is what happed?

Next I wanna know would it be possible for me to some how pull getting a engine swap out of this situation threw my insurance company?. if anyone knows then let my know on that one

Lastly, if i decide to use my warrenty and take it honda. my mods are intake, exhaust, lowered. I know i would have to take the intake off for sure if i can find the screws to my original air box, but would everything else be fine?.

I honestly dont wanna fix whats wrong wit the motor, because im saving for my swap right now so if it comes down to me have to put down more than 500 bucks just to fix the EX motor then imma just have to leave the car infront my house till i can afford the swap. I can really use any ideas you all may have to help me out.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: kapalua,los angeles,las vegas, HI,CA,NV, United States
Default Re: Possible blow tranny or clutch (BLK99VTECR)

something like this happened to my buddy's rsx..shifted to 2nd instead of 4th..

he tried to do the warranty crap, but when they scanned the ECU, it read that he shifted into 2nd at 9,3xx rpm's and didnt cover him for a new motor due to "driver error", not "mechanical error"..u probably floated a valve..not sure..but thats what i think happened to your car..good luck
Old 07-14-2003, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Possible blow tranny or clutch (1slowEJ8)

The motor runs fine, its more than likely that I just messed up the clutch and tranny. I just got a new clutch last month so i dont feel like paying to fix all that now. I got a deal on b16s from my mechanic for 1500 so i might end up getting one of those next month if i cant find a deal of a b18c or save up enough money for one. I have looked at all my options and im pretty much SOL cause the insurance aint gonna cover it, and my warrenty more than likely wont either. Looks like its just gonna be parked at my house for a while.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:53 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Possible blow tranny or clutch (BLK99VTECR)

i'd pull the tranny and head off and see what kind of damage you did...don't be an ******* and try and rip off honda or your insurance company because you were a dumbass
Old 07-14-2003, 07:41 AM

Default Re: (SickCiv98)

ok here are the details:

The car starts and runs perfectly

The clutch will not engage at all and even though the car is on and i put it in gear and release the clutch while sitting there, the car wont even cut off.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (BLK99VTECR)

take apart the tranny and have a look.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: (all stock)

i say its the clutch..if u put it in gear and let the clutch out and nothing happends then most like its the clutch..i'm think the presure plate is gone..so it wont hold the disc anymore..do u hear any noise coming from the tranny..?
Old 07-14-2003, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (eg6h8k)

where's that pic of the RSX oilpan....
Old 07-14-2003, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (all stock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all stock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take apart the tranny and have a look.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, i would bet that you only broke one part between your crank and your wheels. taking out your tranny and checking the condition of your flywheel-clutch-pressure plate, and the input shaft on the tranny wouldn't be out of reach for an ametuer mechanic. just make sure you have a factory service manual and do it right.

it probably wont be that much if you take it to a mechanic to find out what's wrong. you might not want to tell them you mis-shifted if you don't want to get mis-rippedoff. only say that because it sounds like this is a temporary engine for you anyway.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (Black93DelSolSi)

You posted another thread about this w/o the mis-shift info right?

Here's what I think NOW...

You either snapped the shift fork leaving it out of gear.... (that's why you think you're shifting through the gears and letting out the clutch)...

Or your clutch is somehow stuck released...

Your info's a little confusing...

1. Does the clutch pedal feel normal or weird?
2. Do the shifts feel normal or weird?
3. When the car is "in gear" and you let out the clutch does it remain running at idle or do you need to give it gas?
Old 07-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when I broke my shift fork one time the same thing happened.

Old 07-14-2003, 03:56 PM

Default Re: (Emerika)

same thing happened to me once when i blew my POS cx tranny. The tranny was gone and there was also a crack in the tranny housing from misshifting.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You posted another thread about this w/o the mis-shift info right?

Here's what I think NOW...

You either snapped the shift fork leaving it out of gear.... (that's why you think you're shifting through the gears and letting out the clutch)...

Or your clutch is somehow stuck released...

Your info's a little confusing...

1. Does the clutch pedal feel normal or weird?
2. Do the shifts feel normal or weird?
3. When the car is "in gear" and you let out the clutch does it remain running at idle or do you need to give it gas?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

to answer your questions:

1) yes the clutch does feel weird
2) there is no shifts at all because the car wont move
3) yes the car remains runing normal when i let of the clutch in gear and the car is not moving.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black93DelSolSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude, i would bet that you only broke one part between your crank and your wheels. taking out your tranny and checking the condition of your flywheel-clutch-pressure plate, and the input shaft on the tranny wouldn't be out of reach for an ametuer mechanic. just make sure you have a factory service manual and do it right.

it probably wont be that much if you take it to a mechanic to find out what's wrong. you might not want to tell them you mis-shifted if you don't want to get mis-rippedoff. only say that because it sounds like this is a temporary engine for you anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea I have a good mechanic that takes care of me. Im not going to take it to him until next month though because i think im just going to sell the motor and have him pull it out, then try to get a new motor and have him drop it in which would be easy. Hopefully there is not too much damage where as to i can at least try and do some repairs before i sell it. what little money that i can get for the motor will help out wit buying a new one.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLK99VTECR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

to answer your questions:

1) yes the clutch does feel weird
2) there is no shifts at all because the car wont move
3) yes the car remains runing normal when i let of the clutch in gear and the car is not moving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I asked about the shifts... I meant the "feel" that your hand has when you shift the shifter lever... like does it still feel (whether running or not) like it's (the shifter fork) is engaging the gear or not... or does it just go in and out of the "gates" like it's not connected somewhere?

If the shift fork is broken it shouldn't really feal like your engaging the gear (although it could)... it should feel sort of dis-connected...

if you say the clutch pedal feels weird than my guess is the clutch is shot...

It HAS to be stuck engaged or the shifter fork is broken so it's never selecting ANY gear it's just stuck in neutral.

that's my .02
Old 07-15-2003, 08:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When I asked about the shifts... I meant the "feel" that your hand has when you shift the shifter lever... like does it still feel (whether running or not) like it's (the shifter fork) is engaging the gear or not... or does it just go in and out of the "gates" like it's not connected somewhere?

If the shift fork is broken it shouldn't really feal like your engaging the gear (although it could)... it should feel sort of dis-connected...

if you say the clutch pedal feels weird than my guess is the clutch is shot...

It HAS to be stuck engaged or the shifter fork is broken so it's never selecting ANY gear it's just stuck in neutral.

that's my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

now that you mention it, it does go in and out of the gears as if its not connected.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:01 PM

a little update. when i put it in gear i hear some kind of squiling noise up from under the car.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when I broke my shift fork one time the same thing happened.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was one of my 2 guesses before he said that... that's almost surely what happened..

if so you be happy if it didn't damage the rest of the tranny it shouldn't be a rediculously expensive fix...
Old 07-17-2003, 02:04 PM

what is a shift fork?
Old 07-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the piece that selects the gear internally in the transmission...

here's a quote from mistbone's website...

"The major weak points are the shifter forks and the diff. gears. The shifter forks are made out of cast aluminum. They are prone to rapid wear, so be cafeful when downsshifting into first gear, esp. when racing. DO NOT force it into first gear. The fork will break! "

these are not from a honda but both part 1 and 3 are shift forks on this link...

http://www.geocities.com/Motor...2.htm

the good news is that BECAUSE it broke you didn't do any damage to your car. If the shift fork was strong enough to be forced into that gear and you pop the clutch it would have blown your motor.