Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it possible to bend a subframe back into place?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it possible to bend a subframe back into place?

Civic 00...possibillity subframe is bent pushing the lca about an inch towards the back of the wheel well on the drivers side.

Can I bend it back? Is there a shop that would do something like that or would they all say no hope you have to replace it?

Methods of bending it back? I'm open to all caveman-hammer-esque suggestions that might have worked for anyone else...theories...he said she said this worked ideas.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it possible to bend a subframe back into place?

Front or rear?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be possiable. if its off an inch thats a little scary when they do bend it back that part will always be a weak point. you can order a new subframe its not to hard to install.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Front subframe...and I found a write-up on it...and he said it took him 8 hours....looked like a helluva process.

I plan on replacing it eventually but for right now if I can bend it back to close to normal...then I'll be happy till I have more time and money. I'm primarily trying to avoid any extra tire wear if I can...right now if I hit a bump it hits the inner fender...as well as the alignment. Alignment would be pointless right now until this issue is close to fixed. Bad alignment = more tread wear = no bueno.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohhhh the front one! that is so easy you can have it in an out in about 3 hours
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/erik/album106/album139/

That's the DIY write-up I found...is that a good guide? It said it took him 8 hours to do it.

If you know of a better write-up or anything you'd do different than that please let me know if you have time to look over that.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Thread also copied to the Suspension forum.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is no way that takes 8hrs that guys is slow lol. You just un bolt the rear engine mount. support the engine with a jack. unbolt the lower ball joints and steering arm and suspenson from the LCA. On the Inside of the car unbolt the 10 mm bolt that connects the steering column to the steering rack. apply pressure to the subframe with a jack in the middle. brake all tghe bolts loose and remove them. then slowly lower the sub frame down. bam! then just put the new one in.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks ron and h22aferio...on paper that sounds simple enough...I will be replacing tie rods inner and outer...all ball joints including my upper control arms...so I suppose id be taking half of that stuff anyways..
Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
Thanks ron and h22aferio...on paper that sounds simple enough...I will be replacing tie rods inner and outer...all ball joints including my upper control arms...so I suppose id be taking half of that stuff anyways..
No Prob man! good luck. let me know if you need help with anything. it looks like that guy took everything apart lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Front subframe...and I found a write-up on it...and he said it took him 8 hours....looked like a helluva process.
8 hours? No way, it doesn't take that long. I did one in a few hours before and I was swapping to integra knuckles and front brakes at the same time, as long as you have 2 people when you're putting the new one on it's pretty simple. I know the day I did mine I did that, went to town to eat some BK and came back and swapped the tranny in my buddy's '00 civic

Originally Posted by H22AFerio
There is no way that takes 8hrs that guys is slow lol. You just un bolt the rear engine mount. support the engine with a jack. unbolt the lower ball joints and steering arm and suspenson from the LCA. On the Inside of the car unbolt the 10 mm bolt that connects the steering column to the steering rack. apply pressure to the subframe with a jack in the middle. brake all tghe bolts loose and remove them. then slowly lower the sub frame down. bam! then just put the new one in.
That's more or less it. I would suggest that you mark the orientation of the lower knuckle in relation to how it connects to the column, otherwise when you put it back together your steering wheel will be crooked.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
That's more or less it. I would suggest that you mark the orientation of the lower knuckle in relation to how it connects to the column, otherwise when you put it back together your steering wheel will be crooked.
yeah I didn't mark it and my steering wheel was really off lol thanks for adding that
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lmao...well after the accident I was in...my steering wheel is a little off anyways...comes hand in hand with the ****ed up alignment and whatnot. Good tip about the wheel though...

Is it hard swapping all the parts over to the new subframe that are connected when you pull it out...i.e. steering components?

BIG QUESTION: As mentioned earlier I'm replacing the UCA, all ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and forgot to mention earlier I need a new axle...but what else would be good to replace "while i'm down there"...I think i remember earlier seeing an improvement in steering if you replace a steering bushing of some sort? Anything else?

Thanks again for all the help everyone...and it's comforting knowing that this won't be an 8 hours job...that could make for a shitty weekend.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it hard swapping all the parts over to the new subframe that are connected when you pull it out...i.e. steering components?
Not that I recall, in my case i was swapping in an integra subframe and rack as a unit, the rack is only held on to the subframe with 4 bolts though.

BIG QUESTION: As mentioned earlier I'm replacing the UCA, all ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and forgot to mention earlier I need a new axle...but what else would be good to replace "while i'm down there"...I think i remember earlier seeing an improvement in steering if you replace a steering bushing of some sort? Anything else?
Not related to steering, but you will never get a better opportunity to change the rear mount. Also, as far as ball joints and such go, buy honda (or Sankie/555) or plan on doing the job again in 6 months. I'll take a good OEM honda ball joint with 200k on it any day over a brand new aftermarket one.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Now would also be a good time to look into bushings.

It is the best time, everthing will be apart, well almost, and you will need an alignment after the work is complete.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find a good pick and pull yard I got a complete front sub frame for $30 swapped it out in under 3 hours and that was with a little fab work since i got one from a car that was a manual rack.