Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Possible bad valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bad valve?

I am doing a mini me swap and I tore down my d16y8 p2j-7 and took the head to a local machine shop to have it cleaned. This is my first head tear down but I'm doing a lot of research. I am looking at the vavles which I kept in order with a carboard box. and one of the intake vavles on the face has ever so tiny little indentations on the side also and on the bottom of the valve your brush your fingers on it and it catches your finger just a tiny bit. question is, is this a bad valve? It did have some slight orangish rust on it just a little bit.

Also I am using a electric drill with thick carboard wrapped around the valve as I clean it with wd40. Is this a good or okay to clean the valves? intakes aren't really dirty but one exhaust valve has heavy carbon build up? this head came off a vehicle from someone tried a mini me with no luck due to incorrect parts. since the car ran like crap from what the seller told me.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Possible bad valve?

A picture would help
Old 02-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

best pic I could get with my crappy phone.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can see on the edge of the valve there is some tiny little dents and the picture of the seat when you run your finger across the it there is a lip and isn't smooth like all the other valves all the other intakes are nice and clean and smooth this is the only one that was like this
Old 02-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also is using simple green over the stove a good way to remove the carborn build up? wd40 and scotch brite isn't working that well on the exhaust valves that have some build up
Old 02-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Dur Da Dur

You didn't have the machinist restore the valves while he was messing with the head?

Did you have the valve guides replaced on the cylinder where the valve had all that carbon build up?

Boiling water mixed with simple green will probably work to loosen up the carbon, make sure you put some fans blowing outward in the windows in your kitchen to prevent the fumes from building up. Or use a BBQ grill outside, that would be a lot smarter.

What did the machine shop actually do? clean? resurface? change exhaust valve guides? machine the valve seats?
Old 02-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no the only thing the machinist did was clean the head and the I disassembled the head before taking it there except they removed the steam seals for me. another question is a couple little pits where cylinder would be on the face of cylinder. I take it I should have the head resurfaced? and is there any other things I should have done? this is my first time taking apart a cylinder head but you gotta start somewhere.