Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

port/polished head or swap????help!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default port/polished head or swap????help!!!

Bought this port/polished cylinder head about a year or so ago but never installed it to ek civic. Head is sohc and it has titanium retainers, valve springs, pretty much complete, ready to be installed to my ex. Now, Im contemplating of just getting a swap for my ride instead. Here's the deal, the car is daily driven, so I'm not looking to race everybody, but I'm just looking for more speed. I wanted to find out what would be the best bet, FOR NOW, either get the port/polished head installed or just save up and get a swap motor? In addition, if swap is the best deal, will the H22 motor be reliable in terms of daily driven car. I want the torque, and I know the H22 would provide that. So any opinions would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (flytip_21)

There are alot of little things with the h22 that kinda suck. Give it a little while and Ek forever guy will come in here and tell you why the h22 is gods gift to honda. If you go h2b its a great setup, but just the h22 alone in an Ek can cause multiple problems.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (smileycvc)

ROFL, I'll keep quiet.

OP: What are your goals?

Budget?
Time?
Experience?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (ek forever guy)

goals?....to just gain some speed/power, but not for race purposes. Not too experience with the whole technical aspect of swaps. I rely mainly on friends with total experience and has worked alot on cars and swaps. I am also in the market looking for good deals on a complete motor so if anybody knows a spot, holla back.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep the single cam alive!

But the H2B is pretty tempting.....but I'd only swap B's if I ever stepped to the dark side of DOHC's.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com
http://www.jdmshit.com
http://www.passwordjdm.com
Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 PM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (D16Z6racing)

you're asking the wrong people. you can only move forward with clarity, find what you want and go after it. plan long time, don't set temporary goals you will grow old with in a temporary fashion.

if your "just" looking for "something" sounds like a dull waste of time. stay out of cars, and spend money on something your more passionate about.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (GarageAlchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your "just" looking for "something" sounds like a dull waste of time. stay out of cars, and spend money on something your more passionate about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:49 PM

cant go wrong with all that torque and a b series tranny....h2b FTW!!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dunno how fast your looking to go, but i have an ls swap in my ej6 w/ i/h/e and around town and on the high way its pretty strong, its a big improvement over my old single cam...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=ek forever guy]ROFL, I'll keep quiet.

QUOTE]

Im not talking **** I just knew you would stumble across this thread eventually. H22s are cool h2bs are just better.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (smileycvc)

just do an ls with a gsr tranny or sumthin.. my boy had that set up in his bubble and it moved real good. with the ls youll have torqe not as much as h22 but youll also spend alot less to. sell the head you have and put it towards an ls

i odnt see anything wrong with a h22 but from what ive herd you have to do alot of fitment adjustments. ( not sure if true ) but whateva you do good luck.

if you want to sell the head how much would you want?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (a2dadamm)

you already have the head so just throw it on, you spent the time and mone you find and buy it, so why not.
plus the sohc sceen needs to stay alive!
as far as a swap goes, the h22 is super heavy, you will have a lot of understeer problems at mid to high range speeds. and if you are a canyon carver then that could be a real problem.
if you want to do a swap and get some torque, go ls/vtec. it a good bang for your buck. the ls block is great for torque and any b series head will be more than apt for wat you want. and as a plus if you want some serious power you can always boost the isht out if the swap.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone please school pfourtythree on the weights of a h22 and a ls. There was a big thread a while ago and the weight difference isn't that big. An H22 is always a big upgrade from a SOHC, but i don't see why you don't just put the head on your motor and i/e/h. That will be fine.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default I'm with Ramma

Like my neighbor said... Swap the head and use that as a start to get more experience on working on your car. A PnP head along with intake and exhaust will give you noticeable gains and is a straightforward job.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (pfourtythree)

Thanks bro, but ill probably sell it for about maybe $400 or $500. I bought it $1500 back then, so this is a big discount. Let me know if interested or if you have a better offer. I'm pretty flexible. Where you located?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm with Ramma (sql_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sql_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like my neighbor said... Swap the head and use that as a start to get more experience on working on your car. A PnP head along with intake and exhaust will give you noticeable gains and is a straightforward job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2. The P+P is a little over the head for stock internals, but if you plan on modding it any more, it will unleash more horses.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm with Ramma (drSquish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drSquish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2. The P+P is a little over the head for stock internals, but if you plan on modding it any more, it will unleash more horses.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you saying that a port and polish is stressful on stock internals?

Port and polish will be fine for the motor. I wouldnt worry about changing stock internals unluss you plan on running high boost and/or revving higher.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 AM

how much do you think the average price for install and what are necessary parts I need to get it running well. My buddy said I had to get a new ecu to support it?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flytip_21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much do you think the average price for install and what are necessary parts I need to get it running well. My buddy said I had to get a new ecu to support it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only if you are doing a minime swap, if you dont know what i mean by that, its swapping a VTEC head on in place of a non vtec one. Common example, taking a d16y7 and putting the d16y8 head on it (as well as its other steps, like ecu, wiring, ect)
Other than that, you will be perfectly fine. No ECU swaps are needed.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (97Ej6mike)

got it! well my car is already vtec so it should just be a simple swap, right? I called around for install and it ranged from $400 to $600, what do you think?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: port/polished head or swap????help!!! (97Ej6mike)

97ej6mike Holdin' it down!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flytip_21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got it! well my car is already vtec so it should just be a simple swap, right? I called around for install and it ranged from $400 to $600, what do you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

400-600 sounds about right if your letting a shop do it. It is a fairly involved process of tearing apart allot of stuff, as well as spilling tons of engine fluids. If you want it done right the first time, id def let the shop do it for you.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I'm with Ramma (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you saying that a port and polish is stressful on stock internals?

Port and polish will be fine for the motor. I wouldnt worry about changing stock internals unluss you plan on running high boost and/or revving higher. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Before you become another online narcissistic, read what I said. ITR motors come factory ported and polished, but they have higher compression pistons and more aggressive cams to unleash the potential available with the head work. You can port and polish any motor and see gains without stress, if anything the added power would require less throttle. My point was a port and polish will not be completely taken advantage of with stock internals.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For now, id say put the head on, Wont cost that much money, ( unless you already have the gaskets and what not)

then just save up for the sswap