Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

port and polished head?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default port and polished head?

hey i picked up a civic a little while ago with a dohc ZC in it, the guy said he had a port and polish job done on the head, as well as the block being bored .030, and a 3 way angle grind, i got a good deal on the car so i dont really care if it has this work done to it. i wanted to know wat is the easiest way to find out if it he was tellign the truth or just lieing? is there an easy way to tell if it has a p+p head? id like to throw a turbo on it soon....
Old 02-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: port and polished head?

You'd have to inspect the ports. The exhaust ports are easiest to get to and see after a gentle cleaning. You can even just feel inside. If you see or feel the tiny bumps created when the head was cast, it hasn't been ported and definately not polished. The split in the port between the valves is rounded originally and port work will sharpen this to more of a knife edge. Keep in mind that just because you find it to be ported doesn't mean it was done professionally or that any valve work was performed. Multi-angle valve work can also be felt by reaching a finger into a port but I wouldn't count on an inexperienced person being able to tell for sure just by touch. You can check the bore by dropping the oil pan. I'd run a compression test to see how well all this engine work turned out.