Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Popping from rear (TEIN SS coilovers, SPC Pro series camber kit) HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping from rear (TEIN SS coilovers, SPC Pro series camber kit) HELP!

I just bought a 93si with bone stock suspension. Transfered over my TEIN SS coilvers and installed the SPC pro series camber kit. Now i've got this annoying popping/rattle sound.

Last night I jacked the car up, and checked EVERYTHING. The bolts that hold the camber kit to the car are tight, as well as all the bolts that hold the shock to the car and to the control arm. I even raised the car up to put some load on the spring....thinking that the spring could have been loose and rattling around.

I've searched and searched for an answer on here, but nobody seems to have an answer. So i thought I'd start a new thread.

Car rattles when driving on anything from smooth road to slightly irregular roads to shitty construction roads. It sounds like a popping, knocking.

HELP!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Popping from rear (TEIN SS coilovers, SPC Pro series camber kit) HELP! (djmatix)

This may sound stupid, but is there anything loose rolling around in the trunk?

I remember when i first got my SS coilovers, due to the stiffness, the cardboard cover in the trunk that covers the spare tire rattles (or makes a loud "popping" noise) when i go over bumps or bumpy roads.

Just a thought/suggestion.

James
Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the reply, I dont have the cardboard in the trunk though. I swear its coming from the shocks themselves, but cant pinpoint the source. It sounds like the shock tower studs arent tightened all the way, but I checked and they are.

It's funny, your name is Jedi_Sol, and i'm editing some footage from Episode III for a video i'm work on at work......strange.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djmatix)

well i don tknoe how old your shocks are, but when i had my tein HAs on my civic, they were pretty damn old, and finally one of them blew out, and started to knock, i didn;t know wat the hell it was till i started to push on the car and see where it was coming from, and sure that i knew, it was the shock.looked at it and there was fluid everywhere, Good luck to you
Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: (SPNFEDEJ)

make sure bushings are good and that you put coilover together correctly. not trying to insult your automotive skills but sometimes we are all guilty of being rushed and overlooking something.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SPNFEDEJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPNFEDEJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i don tknoe how old your shocks are, but when i had my tein HAs on my civic, they were pretty damn old, and finally one of them blew out, and started to knock, i didn;t know wat the hell it was till i started to push on the car and see where it was coming from, and sure that i knew, it was the shock.looked at it and there was fluid everywhere, Good luck to you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here, one day i started noticing a faint "whomp-whomp" sound, it turned out one of my shocks were blown. Feel around your shocks to check for a fluid leak. Or jump on your front and rear bumpers to try to isolate where the sound is coming from.

James
Old 12-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think I may have found the problem. The bolts holding the camber kit to the car might be backing out just a hair or arent tightened down enough. So it might be knocking. I'm going to thow some washers and lockwashers in there to see if it remedies it. I'll report back with my findings.