Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics**

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics**

Compression test done tonight.

What all 4 cylinders showed:

Here's a vid (digital camera) of us doing the compression on my Cx. We read how to do it from c-speed's "How To"

4.51 mb **right click save as** 4.51mb

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

I think we did it right

Older Stuff......

I picked up a 96 Cx last week. CEL is on for one of the o2 sensors so I've got to figure out which one. Since I'm not driving her until the CEL is gone I decided to pop the valve cover off tonight and inspect the timing belt. I haven't seen many insides so maybe you guys can tell me something from the pics.....

D16Y7 motor with 180,1?? on the odometer. Do you guys think I should do a compression test before I start dumping money into her --> timing belt, water pump, oil pan gasket, head gasket, valve cover gasket, etc.....

I drove her 7 hours and 30 minutes at 80-90 mph with only 2 stops (eat/gas). She drove like I had just picked her off the show room floor. I was told the CEL comes on and off. CEL didn't come on until the following morning when I took her out for a drive.

I did not turn the crank to inspect the rest of the TB since I am not sure what way it's suppose to turn. But, from the part of the belt I can see it all looks consistent with what you see in the pictures. Looks good to me, you??

Timing belt:

A closer look....

As always thanks for any help

Modified by Hybrid93Hatch at 1:52 AM 1/10/2005
Old 01-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (Hybrid93Hatch)

change the oil first
Old 01-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (senpai)

Try Seafoaming it, i dont like the look of all that gunk from the valve cover but seafoam will take care of that im sure. Then take pics of after so we could see how it looks.

Timing belt doesnt look to bad but if that wear gets worse replace it.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Find out when the timing belt was last done. The belt itself looks good. No obvious wear.
Under the valve cover though that's a different story. That car's oil wasn't changed every 3,000 miles. That's what that brown gunk is. Run a seafoam treatment through that motor. People have been wanting to see before and after pics of a nasty valve train after seafoam for a while. It can only help in your case. Do it man.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:57 PM

looks like a normal higher milage engine to me. the black marks on the rocker arms is a factory thing so dont worry about that. i'd say do a timing belt, water pump, tensioner and might as well replace the main crack seal becasue taking the timing belt off makes it easier to remove the oil pump
Old 01-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (Hybrid93Hatch)

look normal cause its golden....
bad is when it's all black!!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (onePOINTsix)

use auto-rx. mix with oil and it will clean up your valvetrain.

sea foam will clean the combustion chamber.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:14 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (ejprimo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejprimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use auto-rx. mix with oil and it will clean up your valvetrain.

sea foam will clean the combustion chamber.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It'll also clean the valve train up when you dump 2/3 of a can into the crank case.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (HATCHingMN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HATCHingMN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look normal cause its golden....
bad is when it's all black!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's gold but very heavy, and look at the buildup on the underside of the valvecover.

One of two scenarios:

1. Oil was not changed religiously.

2. Low quality non-synthetic oil was used.

Looks like wax buildup to me from a low quality dino oil.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (Jim Truett)

Speechless
Old 01-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (Go_Fork_Urself)

that valvetrain is nasty.

one with good, constantly changed oil should look like this:

(and thats with 110k miles)
Old 01-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (jbell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that valvetrain is nasty.

(and thats with 110k miles)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a D with 291,000 on it that's just as clean.

Mobil1
Old 01-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Electrician

I don't think you regularly changed the engine oil. There is just too much buildup. Try cleaning the valvetrain and start changing your oil every 3,000 miles.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (jbell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that valvetrain is nasty.

(and thats with 110k miles)</TD></TR></TABLE>

and this b18c5 w/ 80k+ miles...

Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think you regularly changed the engine oil. There is just too much buildup. Try cleaning the valvetrain and start changing your oil every 3,000 miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think I changed the oil regulary neither since I did mention "picked up a 96 Cx last week / D16Y7 motor with 180,1?? on the odometer"

The guy (HT'er) I bought this hatch from had it for about a year. He does not know when the timing belt was changed either.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Not sure if this thing is worth dumping money into. I'll look into that stuff to clean the insides up and go from there.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think I changed the oil regulary neither since I did mention "picked up a 96 Cx last week / D16Y7 motor with 180,1?? on the odometer"

The guy (HT'er) I bought this hatch from had it for about a year. He does not know when the timing belt was changed either.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Not sure if this thing is worth dumping money into. I'll look into that stuff to clean the insides up and go from there.

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well then he didn't change the oil regularly.

Point is, it wasn't changed regularly.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well then he didn't change the oil regularly.

Point is, it wasn't changed regularly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He only had it a year so I doubt he's the one to blame either. Just the way you said "start changing your oil every 3k". It's like you looked at the pics and did not read a single word I wrote up top. No hard feelings though.

I just looked through quite a few threads about Seafoam. Seems to be a lot of good feedback on the $6 product. Just couldn't find anyone mentioning where they picked this stuff up at. I'm guessing the local parts store (Pep Boys / Auto Zone) should carry this, but I know sometimes some products are only available from the retailer.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

Yea MY NAPA and Autozone carry Seafoam. So yours probably will too. Maybe Pep Boys. I'm not sure though because I haven't been there in a LONG time.

But man that looks really nasty. Looks like some1 gold plated it. (haha) Try selling it at a swap meet. Say its a 20k solid gold honda motor. I'm sure some [insert race here] will buy it for MaD dOuGh. Bahahaha

I gotta seafoam my HX. Lady who owned it before me drove like a bitch. She probably didnt take care of it much either.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by senpai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change the oil first </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea dude, you shouldnt let all that oil build up...if it's gunked onto you're valve cover it means you need to change your oil more often.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics** (ek9800)

Here's a pic of my 94 vx head w/130,000 miles on it the day I pulled it. Your motor has seen better days.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:09 PM
KSE

Mines about the same Runs like a champ though.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sohc motors will build up way faster then dohc. Look at any sohc under the valve cover in the junk yards you go to next time then look at the dohc. i promise to you 80percent more sohc will have way more resin build up then the dohc. dohc keeps oil moving better so it keeps it from burning up in one spot.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn what kind of camera do you have? those are some nice up close pics.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg64u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg64u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sohc motors will build up way faster then dohc. Look at any sohc under the valve cover in the junk yards you go to next time then look at the dohc. i promise to you 80percent more sohc will have way more resin build up then the dohc. dohc keeps oil moving better so it keeps it from burning up in one spot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude... thats not one spot.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:45 PM

i bought a 96 cx with 380,000miles over a year ago and that is what it look like under my vavle cover. iam glad i know now that the color is a good indication of how the engine was cared for. i figure it was that color due to so many miles. guess next time i buy a engine ill do compression check and look under vavle cover.

Quick Reply: Popped the valve cover off! How's this look 2 U? **Pics**