Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Poor radio reception in 94 Civic EX

Old 05-30-2002, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor radio reception in 94 Civic EX

I've got the standard Acoustic Research head unit and A-pillar mounted antenna. The FM reception has been steadily degrading over the years and it's gotten to the point where I can only receive a few stations. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to determine whether the problem lies with the HU or the antenna, short of buying and installing a new HU or antenna? Thanks.

(Note that I'm not interested in upgrading the stereo, in terms of output. I just want to improve the reception.)

PS - I only recently discovered this website. It rocks!
Old 05-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Poor radio reception in 94 Civic EX (P_S_Chang1)

I would imagine that there's some device for measuring the signal level of the antenna.... maybe not, I'm just guessing.

I had to replace the antenna on one of my cars when I bought it and it doesn't cost that much through somewhere like http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Pulling the old one out and threading the new one through can be a test of your patience though. Well, I forgot, my wire came off the antenna so I couldn't use the old one to thread the new one in.... plus part of the old wire was stuck in the pillar.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Poor radio reception in 94 Civic EX (P_S_Chang1)

I've got the standard Acoustic Research head unit and A-pillar mounted antenna. The FM reception has been steadily degrading over the years and it's gotten to the point where I can only receive a few stations. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to determine whether the problem lies with the HU or the antenna, short of buying and installing a new HU or antenna? Thanks.

(Note that I'm not interested in upgrading the stereo, in terms of output. I just want to improve the reception.)

PS - I only recently discovered this website. It rocks!
you can get an am/fm antenna booster from justa bout any car audio store even circuit city and best buy will have them.. give that a try and if it helps good, if not i think its more than likely a problem w/ the factory headunit and its just telling you its time to get something newer better