Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Poor Acceleration....

Old 08-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Acceleration....

Hi,

I have a 92' Civic DX Sedan with a SOHC 1.5L Engine. I need to get my acceleration better and though I am not experianced with cars I'd bet that calls for more horsepower overall, so I was thinking about my first bolt-on goodies to be a cold air intake kit, specificly a Ractive 20665 since it doesn't cost very much..

What do you think about that and what are some other things I can do to imporve my acceleration?

Right now, these day, putting the pedel into the floor doesn't get good of acceleration as easing on it does, putting it the floor just makes the enginer loulder and I still get nowhere lol

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:21 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want acceleration and you bought a Honda?

Intake wont do much.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

well you can get an EX tranny.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poor Acceleration.... (Paprika)

I will also say that Intake does not help much.. is tops 5 HP more and that depends of the status of your engine...and the quality of the parts.

But also is a start, if you are planing to add more bolt-on parts (header and exhaust.. etc..) to really feel a difference.
Just my 0.02c.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You want acceleration and you bought a Honda?

Intake wont do much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hell still a good purchase.

Swapping the transmission is someting a 16yr old w/o a job isn't going to get done on command w/o oodles of money and people to do such

So what can I do? The intake looks cool though lol

Should I start commiting illigealties to save up and get a Vtec engine put in?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:51 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Paprika)

It's going to cost a lot of money to get any noticable amount of performance out of any car.

goodluck though.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Electrician

Seriously, even with all the bolt-ons you're going to purchase, you're not going to be satisfied. The D15B7 motor is just a motor to get you from point A to point B. Save your money, do a custom turbo kit.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seriously, even with all the bolt-ons you're going to purchase, you're not going to be satisfied. The D15B7 motor is just a motor to get you from point A to point B. Save your money, do a custom turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

??Define: Custom Turbo Kit [GOOGLE]

Sounds nice.. now to price one.

No wait, a turb booster does nothing for inital acceleration does it?

Nope, that won't work either... 2k for a turbo kit.

I guess it's time to get rather dangerously creative

QUESTION: Last week I was looking around under the hood and took the oil cap off and I could see the rockers and springs and such... all oily... I expected to see a big pool of oil in there.. is this normal?

Don't worry, I ordered my manual last week it should arrive today or tommorow!

Modified by Paprika at 9:09 PM 8/4/2004
Old 08-04-2004, 08:40 PM

Okay for starters its a 1.5 single cam - NO. Motor swap man.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chronodyne28)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chronodyne28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay for starters its a 1.5 single cam - NO. Motor swap man.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LMAO... NO what?

Motor swap... let me think. No. Don't have the money. Thats gonna run me how much... a good 1.5k?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NOS!

Better acceleration = more torque. More torque out of a honda engine without forced induction is gonna cost a lot...
Old 08-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chowmien)

There is a supercharger and a turbocharger, the later being the cheaper but I like the supercharger because it's driven with the engine so there is none of the lag. But I am better that I have something wrong, like persay for instance, there is lag with a supercharger or that they're highly not reccomended for some reason(S)..

Ahh well. It's my first car.. I guess it will teach me to drive catiously like i should since I can't take off as fast as I want to. But having bad acceleration can be a hazard too
Old 08-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in my opinion, you are young as hell, so get a job somewhere and start saving and in 2 years get a motor swap. sucks being young and broke!! but i guaruntee it will be well worth it!! or save up for a turbo kit. screw the intake, how about a job!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bumpincivic20)

Well I start work in a week so no worrys about a job but I have so many things on my 'to get' list It's like almost logical to put car performance enhancements near the bottom when you need to worry about standard matainance.

How much does it cost to do an engine swap?

Turbo kit would be basically... just a turbocharger and exhaust header combo proven to work well on a given engine/car?

The intake weither or not life changing I can get with one paycheck and will look good lol thats why I was considering it so seriously, plus for a person with not much engine specific experiance it's a good bolt on that yeilds value all around
Old 08-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** u gonna blow that little motor to **** lol with nos
Old 08-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkipMic2006)

:-p I dunno how NOS got into the conversation.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it seems like your on a tough budget eh?

intake will lag you in the low end, but it gives you some juice at the high end. i beleive their are cold air intakes out their that improve low and high, but i have no proof my very first mod was an aem sri and the response was more quicker. results = not much powergain, nice sound, loss low end. but still satisfied with it
as for intake brands, if you go cheap, its gonna backfire at you in the long run (or short run). an quality intake should cost around $80-120 depending on cold air or short ram.

their are DIY's where you can tighten or adjust the throttle cable of some sort so when you smash the pedal, it reacts quicker. (maybe its just for us 7thgen civics?) but im assuming it could work as same for any other car.

the best gain i've done on my car would be replacing the OEM cat. converter with an megan hi flow cat test pipe. its an downpipe with an built-in cat. converter. hi flow cats can cost from $80-200 depending on car application and brand. i paid almost 1 bill for mine and it was the best investment yet.

i've never expiernced headers or exhaust system yet, but i heard headers improve power gains overall. it varys on which type of header.. 4-1, 4-2-1, etc etc.

hope this info helps.
-Tommy
Old 08-04-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Re: (JTTeGx)

4.9 final drive + nitrous
assuming you have the manual transmission (you better )
Old 08-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JTTeGx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JTTeGx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seems like your on a tough budget eh?

intake will lag you in the low end, but it gives you some juice at the high end. i beleive their are cold air intakes out their that improve low and high, but i have no proof my very first mod was an aem sri and the response was more quicker. results = not much powergain, nice sound, loss low end. but still satisfied with it
as for intake brands, if you go cheap, its gonna backfire at you in the long run (or short run). an quality intake should cost around $80-120 depending on cold air or short ram.

their are DIY's where you can tighten or adjust the throttle cable of some sort so when you smash the pedal, it reacts quicker. (maybe its just for us 7thgen civics?) but im assuming it could work as same for any other car.

the best gain i've done on my car would be replacing the OEM cat. converter with an megan hi flow cat test pipe. its an downpipe with an built-in cat. converter. hi flow cats can cost from $80-200 depending on car application and brand. i paid almost 1 bill for mine and it was the best investment yet.

i've never expiernced headers or exhaust system yet, but i heard headers improve power gains overall. it varys on which type of header.. 4-1, 4-2-1, etc etc.

hope this info helps.
-Tommy</TD></TR></TABLE>

Helps indeed, just let me clairfy something. When you say low end, you mean low end torqe, the amount of torqe avalible at the lower RPMs.. and highend being the amount of torqe avalible at the high RPMs?

Before I seen that ractive setup I wanted a AEM 21-401P and it still looks good, just at more than 2x the price. Maybe even a AEM 22-401P instead.. but I know cold air is better.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're responding with the money arguement, but, you need to put money into your car to give it better acceleration. The EX tranny is a great start, helps a lot, and can be had for ~$300-400. Home made turbo will run you about $1200 and helps a ton. Engine swap could be as cheap as $800, and will help a lot. An air intake will not be worth the money, you will notice a louder sound coming from the engine bay, but I doubt you'll get enough power to actually feel it. It sucks, but the only way to up your acceleration to any noticable level, will cost some pretty decent bucks.

The only thing you can do to help acceleration (and handling as well) without spending bucks is to take crap out of your car. Remove everything but what is required to operate the car, required to hold you in place, and required by law. This actually makes a very noticable difference, although not as much as a turbo or swap (I know because it's exactly what I did when I ran out of money).

The only other thing about working on your car, is the tools get expensive also, so figure extra money for tools and stuff if you do a swap or turbo. Tools for a tranny job won't be too expensive.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

??Define: Custom Turbo Kit [GOOGLE]

Sounds nice.. now to price one.

No wait, a turb booster does nothing for inital acceleration does it?

Nope, that won't work either... 2k for a turbo kit.

I guess it's time to get rather dangerously creative

QUESTION: Last week I was looking around under the hood and took the oil cap off and I could see the rockers and springs and such... all oily... I expected to see a big pool of oil in there.. is this normal?

Don't worry, I ordered my manual last week it should arrive today or tommorow!

Modified by Paprika at 9:09 PM 8/4/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

$2,000 for a turbo kit? Why I said CUSTOM TURBO KIT. Meaning picking up a used manifold, used (but good condition) turbocharger, some mandrel bent pipes, some spark plugs and a used (but good condition) intercooler. Most you'll spend, from what I've seen, is $800-$1000 MAX.

http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 08-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

Ok, thats what you mean. Custom could be all new parts though, so hell I didn't know you were reffering to used ones. I searched online for custom turbo kits and got the idea they were kits customized for specific cars.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turn a/c off and take it out. you are in ohio. you dont need it. and its free to do.

you can't really make a car go fast for cheap unless you are ripping it apart.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poor Acceleration.... (texasnick)

The AC is usually off, but since that is why would one need to totally remove it?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AC system weighs a good amount, plus it's taking power from the engine (even when off, it still pointlessly spinning that pulley). Removing it can help free up some power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poor Acceleration....