Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Polyurethane bushings.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane bushings.....

Does anyone have experiance with polyurethane bushings on there honda..both my tacomas benifited greatly from them ...and im sure mine oem ones are worn..
Old 08-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Polyurethane bushings..... (Eyewitness)

I have installed the full setup from Energy Suspension, it was a timely procedure and the benefits are great. chassis has more stable feel at all speeds and is more direct in its response to driver input. no squeaks or creaks yet but I imagine after a tens of thousands miles more I may have to relube some of the bushings, not tough to do though.

bad parts... not many really, kinda jarring on some potholes/pavement breaks, etc but the car drives so specifically where I want it to, I love it.

Integra oem bushings have more metal components inside the rubber and will not see as much an improvement compared to Civic oem bushings. ITR oem bushings are even better than Integras but will still be less stiff compared to POLYURETHANE goodness.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Polyurethane bushings..... (owen_the_soyboy)

thats what i thought...thanx off to energy...
Old 08-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta get me some !!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ditto...

minus the bad sides... I don't think there are any...

My civic has stock susp. at 160k+ miles... I've had several people ask what kind of springs/suspension I have... there is little to any body roll left...

I couldn't be happier... I had a press to do it and it's still a pain... torching is easier imo... but I didn't feel like inhaling burning rubber fumes for that long...

I seriously can't say enough about them... they rock...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Mike Jones

So on........say, an Eg, this could be a very good and worthwhile first mod for everyone?! (Other than windshield washer LED's of course.......)
Old 08-26-2003, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlowPokeEg)

damn yo! you gots an eg!?

Yeah any 92-95 civic (or any other car) will benifit greatly from stiffend susp. bushings...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlowPokeEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowPokeEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So on........say, an Eg, this could be a very good and worthwhile first mod for everyone?! (Other than windshield washer LED's of course.......)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good springs and shocks would be better choice before the bushings, IMO.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Polyurethane bushings..... (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ditto...

minus the bad sides... I don't think there are any...

My civic has stock susp. at 160k+ miles... I've had several people ask what kind of springs/suspension I have... there is little to any body roll left...

I couldn't be happier... I had a press to do it and it's still a pain... torching is easier imo... but I didn't feel like inhaling burning rubber fumes for that long...

I seriously can't say enough about them... they rock... </TD></TR></TABLE>

so if one dont have a press what souhld i do then ??? 2 get those suckers out !! cause i know they are hard 2 get out !
Old 08-27-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Polyurethane bushings..... (Zeus Zore)

To get them out without a press you'll have to chisel away at the rubber, then take a saw and cut a slot in the outer metal shell to get out the bushings. Not hard, but takes forever. I would do it again.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good springs and shocks would be better choice before the bushings, IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know if different models came with different springs... but.

My ex has 160k on it and has NO need at all for springs or struts... Sure it'd improve the handling but... with the bushings it's already pretty stiff and handles sick...

If you're on a tight budget then the bushings will help DRAMATICALLY... sure springs might be better (depending on which ones)... but I've seen TONS of civics and other honda/acura's with "suspsensions" that handle WAY WAY worse then my stock springs with full bushing kit...

I'm a big fan.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:50 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

It may be stiff, but you still have the stock spring rates and height. But it really depends on what you're after. If you just want it stiffened, then bushings would do that; but if you want performance, then you can't beat good linear coil-over springs with custom rates and a good set of shocks.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:53 AM

I installed the Energy kit on my 91 Si......eliminated all the slop, nice and stiff. IMO have the old LCA bushings pressed out because the torch method is a royal PITA.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My stock springs are WAY better than sportlines or lots of other cheezy linear rate springs...

First off linear rate springs are by no means the best all around performing... No matter what rate you pick it's stuck there... by no means well suited to variing conditions... In my experience the best springs are progressive rate... they adapt to different conditions and perform ideally for the current situation instead of being "ready for the track" at all times... leaving you with a bouncy crappy ride...
Progressive rates are much better for daily driving... and imo they're far superior period to linear rates.

And like I've said MANY people have asked me what kind of springs I have... the stock ex spring (again don't know if they're different then other models)... are fantastic... Unless I was going to spend BIG money on springs and struts I really don't think I'd be "improving" anything...

I've been in cars with eibach sportlines, H&R's, neuspeed, and a couple others... and NONE of them have been even approaching the quality of my stock springs... they're just lowering springs... which, sure helps a little by lowering the center of gravity... but overall the crappier spring is going to harm not benifit handling.

I'm not a huge fan of the stock ride hieght but the day I trade that off for crappier ride quality is not anywhere near being on the horizon.

If you're going to do a cheap susp. upgrade I'd recomend the bushings over a set of "affordable" springs/struts....

I have no personal experience with GC's... so maybe they're good. But from what I've experienced (and I wouldn't say this about my last car (93 sentra)) my stock springs are better then cheap springs...

And even with GC's... it's kind of un-comparable... the GC's with struts would be over 400 bucks where the ES master kit is like 150 shipped... A lot of work but well worth it imo.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ef *****)

What bushing kits are avail?

And what one would you recon to be the best?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:49 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Scot project)

To each their own really.

I'm willing to give up ride comfort in trade for better performance with autocrossing and track events. 400# all around will soon be going on.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:32 AM

where could i purchase these bushings? theyre for a 93 sol
Old 08-27-2003, 08:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To each their own really.

I'm willing to give up ride comfort in trade for better performance with autocrossing and track events. 400# all around will soon be going on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The OEM bushings are still a weak link in your setup....and if your oem ones are worn even worse....
Old 08-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RedDelSol si)

there available just about anywhere...

summit... that's where I got mine... free shipping.