Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

plz help slippage on new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plz help slippage on new clutch

i put a new exedy clutch in a 93 civic ex d16z6. i have broke it in over 500 miles driving like a gracery shoppin biotch. the clutch now slips and i think i might know why. the boot that goes over the fork on the tranny is cracked all to he11. i have a camshaft leak and it looks like some oil ran down in the tranny. it prolly got some oil on the disc am i correct??? if so how can i fix this without tearing the car apart. if i install te new boot and dry inside as much as i can will the oil on the clutch go away if i baby the car? thx guys
Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: plz help slippage on new clutch (crxricer66)

nobody has any ideas??
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxricer66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. i have a camshaft leak and it looks like some oil ran down in the tranny. it prolly got some oil on the disc am i correct???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Camshaft leak? What do you mean?
Leaking distributor seal?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: plz help slippage on new clutch (mcvtec)

ya srry my bad. yes distributor seal, it looks like it got in my tranny if i get it fixed will the clutch come out of it???? the slippage, will it stop?? thx
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IF that's the case oil getting into your tranny and now your new clutch is slipping.

it's very likely that you're going to have to do the clutch again seeing as there is now a film of oil on both the friction surfaces of the clutch and on your flywheel.

my advice: take your transmission off and inspect everything if you're low on funds use some brake clean (or similar substance) clean off your flywheel and replace the friction surface on your clutch ( shouldn't be too expensive) THEN before you do anything else fix your distributor leak

goodluck
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you get it fixed will the clutch come out of it?
WTF does that mean?
i'm guessing you paid someone to install it?

if it was my car i'd take it apart and at the very least get the flywheel resurfaced.

and no one can tell you for sure if it will stop because we don't know for certain what the problem is, is it likely? sure.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

after is says will the clutch come out of it, it says will the slippage stop. y burn someone if u have no fkin clue wut ur talking about. i would never pay someone to do something to my car if i knew what i was doing.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxricer66)

will brake cleaner on the two surfaces make the clutch slip????
Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a new transmission

i have a d15 tranny for sale, il even give you all the clutch components

PM me
Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use brake cleaner on the flywheel to clean it. It wont hurt it, nor will it make it slip. U should clean the flywheel with brake cleaner before the install anyways. This helps to get the oils off. The clutch is a diff story. dont think u can use it on there.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

well this realy bites. i jus quit my job a few months ago and i had enough to do my clutch because it was gone. i cant redo my clutch again i jus cant. i have so limited funds right now. is there anyway i can fix the oil leak and the clutch might finaly clear up after awhile?? thx guys
Old 11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxricer66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well this realy bites. i jus quit my job a few months ago and i had enough to do my clutch because it was gone. i cant redo my clutch again i jus cant. i have so limited funds right now. is there anyway i can fix the oil leak and the clutch might finaly clear up after awhile?? thx guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fix the leak. See if the problem fixes it self. If it doesnt, then tear apart the trans and clean the flywheel and clutch with brake cleaner. Dont get any on the parts that are supposed to be lubed...or just relube them.

Put the car back together, and see if it slips. If it slips, take it apart again and put in a new clutch.

lol...if you take it apart and brake clean it, it PROBABLY wont slip anymore. Depending on how long the oil has been leaking in there. Clutch material will likely absorb liquids.

Is your clutch adjusted properly? How much free play do you have? If you have NO free play or too little, then the clutch will always be partially disengaged.

Too much free play and you'll grind up your gears.

So here's the list IN ORDER:

Adjust the clutch. See if that works.
If it does, then problem solved. Fix your oil leak.

If it doesn't:

GET A JOB

buy a new clutch.

Replace, reinstall, enjoy.

FIX YOUR OIL LEAK EITHER WAY.

Buy a new slave cylinder boot.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: (B serious)

How bad is the slip? I would fix the seal and just dump the clutch a couple of times and maybe the oil gets burnt of. If it doesn't help then I would pull the transmission apart and clean everything and replace the clutch.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: (ejoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How bad is the slip? I would fix the seal and just dump the clutch a couple of times and maybe the oil gets burnt of. If it doesn't help then I would pull the transmission apart and clean everything and replace the clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So he can cook and burn the flywheel? Not a good idea. Fix the leak first, then I would recomend pulling the trans right away to see whats up, but you could see if the problem goes away after fixing the leak. But do not let the clutch slip a lot or you will burn the flywheel and pressure plate.