Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it

When i press the brake pedal, i hear squeaking noises from the back, even though the rear pads were in good shape, since the brakes are cheap, i bought brand new rear drums pads from auto zone and replaced them. When i lift up the hand brake, the lever goes all the way up, without stopping the car. The noises are gone, but the e-brake lever has no contribution to the braking, the lever freely goes all the way up without stopping the car.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (sshaikh01)

Did you forget to adjust the e cable?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (HyBriDcxR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HyBriDcxR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you forget to adjust the e cable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like it to me. Get under the console and adjust it. It's one bolt.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like it to me. Get under the console and adjust it. It's one bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do i adjust it
Thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (sshaikh01)

Remove your centre console and expose the cables and brackets. Take a look and common sense should tell you how to tighten or loosen the cables. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I don't. Sorry

Also, if that's not the problem, you just might need to adjust the wheel cylinder......wait, shouldn't you have rear disc? I just read the part about drums so I assumed you have drums.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (3 G's)

Whoa i missed that in the first post. Didn't notice what you drove.

Why do you have rear drums if you have an si?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (HyBriDcxR)

Thats what I thought when I read the post to cuz i did have a 00 si good bye to my first wife RIP.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:55 PM

U need 2 adjust ur rear brakes since u replaced ur shoes with da drum on go behind da drum there should be a slot with a rubber boot take da boot off with a screw driver stick it in da slot n figure out if its up or down u have 2 go as long as when u spin da wheel it has a nice tight drag (tire comes 2 a stop on its on pretty fast)once dats done spray brake clean onto da shoes n drum inside 2 clean any debri cause ur squeak
Old 04-26-2004, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (h22 Eg CoUpE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22 Eg CoUpE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U need 2 adjust ur rear brakes since u replaced ur shoes with da drum on go behind da drum there should be a slot with a rubber boot take da boot off with a screw driver stick it in da slot n figure out if its up or down u have 2 go as long as when u spin da wheel it has a nice tight drag (tire comes 2 a stop on its on pretty fast)once dats done spray brake clean onto da shoes n drum inside 2 clean any debri cause ur squeak</TD></TR></TABLE>

Speak English when you post.

Do not adjust your brakes this way either. What you need to do is remove the drum and loosen the self adjuster until the drum comes to a stop after about 1-1.5 revolutions when you spin it at a decent rate. I do not believe thatt this is your problem though, unless you feel that your braking ability has decreased under normal driving conditions.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plz help me with my brake problem, i need to fix this car to drive it (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Speak English when you post.

Do not adjust your brakes this way either. What you need to do is remove the drum and loosen the self adjuster until the drum comes to a stop after about 1-1.5 revolutions when you spin it at a decent rate. I do not believe thatt this is your problem though, unless you feel that your braking ability has decreased under normal driving conditions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no way to adjust disks other than rezeroing them and then pumping the brakes is there?