Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Plug wires popping out???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wires popping out???

I know I saw a post like this before but I can't seem to find it.
Anyway I just went to do a rutine check of my oil, and I noticed that my plug wires were popped up a bit , obvioulsy not enough to make the car not run cause I really didnt' have any problems other than a noise I have been hearing which I am discussing in another post

Anyway I push them back on .. and drive to work , I get out and check them before I go into work .. and 3 of them are up again ???? The only thing that I can think of is that I did not tighten the plugs enough when I put them back in or maybe one of htem is cracked.

That is the onyl way that i can think of any sort of pressure gettin in there to pop them off????

Rihgt?
Old 12-12-2003, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Plug wires popping out??? (Littleredsi)

It happens fairly often with aftermarket plug wires. Do you have aftermarket plug wires? I've got MSD wires and they haven't popped off on me before but some have complained about MSD wires popping off as well as other wire companies. Sometimes they just don't fit like stock wires. Best bet is to go back to stock if it bothers you that much..

If you're still using the stock wires I dont know what to tell you.

Mike
Old 12-12-2003, 03:09 PM

MSD Wires always pop off....Try using a plug wire cover, maybe it'll help..
Old 12-12-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Plug wires popping out??? (sledgehammer)

I have accell wires on them ... But its has never happened before they have always been a nice snug fit.

And when I went I went push some of them back on I pulled them out first and there seemed to be some pressure built up???
Old 12-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What motor do you have, the reason I ask is it's a b or h series you can just put the wire cover on and that'll hold them down good enough.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:23 PM

there is no pressure where the wires connect, the connector inside of the boot may be worn out, the plug or pressure would have nothing to do with it. I have accel wires and i have had no problems, try emailing accel and see what they tell you, hey maybe you can get a free set of wires!
Old 12-12-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Plug wires popping out??? (dogfood)

yea I know there is not SUPPOSEd to be any pressure in there. The only way would to be somehow getting by the spark plug from either the Power or combustion strokes.

It just seemed odd, I have not had the problem before, this is the start of my first winter wiht them though. It just seems odd cause I can hear them click into place I push them back down ???

Weird, I will inspect a little better tomorrow moring and let ya know what I find.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:55 PM

if the metal connectors are by chance worn out on them you can take the boot off and replace the connector inside. It's very simple all you need is the connector, crimpers, and some dielectric grease. thats odd that they would click in though.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plug wires popping out??? (dogfood)

this is just a theory but...

if you put them on when the engine is cold, the air that's trapped inside by the plug is cold (dense) then when your engine warms up the heat causes the air to expand, popping the plug wires off. maybe. Try putting them on when the engine is warm?

does this seem like it could be the cause? he did say that it's only been happening this WINTER (denser air to start off with) correct?

hmmm....
Old 12-13-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Plug wires popping out??? (Sketch_hs)

^^^^^^^
thats is acutally a very interesting Theory , and one that does seem to make sense. I read that at my house and just drove over to my GF... as soon as I parked the car I went out and pushed all the plugs down. We will see what happens when I leave.

Anyone else wiht any other ideas, please..feel free.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

here are the most common causes of this...

A. your plugs are loose or poorlys sealed so they allow cyl. pressure to pass by blowing off the plugs... This is not very likely... but it's worth checking... I'd just get some new plugs and install them when the car is COLD.
B. The actual wire with the connector on it is not far enough down the insulating tube... This makes it so you have to push them on HARD... then the insulator pushes them back off the plug... this (depending on the wire) can be corrected by pulling the connector/wire down a little more with some needle nose pliars...
C. Your "spark plug tube" seals are worn and are allowing air pressure created in the head to blow off the wires... this again is not too likely... but if you've checked everything else it's worth a shot... it'd be pretty easy to check... if there's any oil in the spark plug tube then chances are those seals are shot... replace them.

if you do all of this and your plugs still pop off... get stock wires... they truely seem to be better than any others...

I saw a wire test that used a stock set with like 70k on them or so... the BASELINE run was higher than ANY of the following runs with the aftermarket wires (including NGK (NGK ARE NOT STOCK WIRES)) they then RE-TESTED the stock wires and got the same numbers... If I find the link I'll post it... I've posted it here before... it's pretty un-believable... but it's apparently true.

good luck.

Modified by NonovUrbizniz at 5:32 AM 12/14/2003
Old 12-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Plug wires popping out??? (NonovUrbizniz)

Get oem plugs if you dont have them.
My NGK blues havent popped out at all. Goodluck
Old 12-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Don't call it a comeback

Default Re: Plug wires popping out??? (USDMDC2)

Plug wire cover solved the problem for me.

Also, small amount of silicone around will also work. Friend did this to his turbo GSR because when the cover was on they would still come up enuff to loose spark.