Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Plug n Play?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug n Play?

Ok i know with a turbo setup you need to tune your engine a/f. But with a supercharger do yo have to? like can i mount the supercharger and just go? iknow i wont get the power i can get out of it. but i want a nice boost in power without having to tune it properly.

Plz post valid responses only. I'm leaning more towards a supercharger becuase i'm under the impression its plug n play. I'm not trying to get tons of hp and torque, just a nice boost in power in my sedan with a d16y8.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:41 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: Plug n Play? (d16y8EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16y8EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok i know with a turbo setup you need to tune your engine a/f. But with a supercharger do yo have to? like can i mount the supercharger and just go? iknow i wont get the power i can get out of it. but i want a nice boost in power without having to tune it properly.

Plz post valid responses only. I'm leaning more towards a supercharger becuase i'm under the impression its plug n play. I'm not trying to get tons of hp and torque, just a nice boost in power in my sedan with a d16y8.</TD></TR></TABLE>I would say if you really want to go for it but I don't suggest it. Forced induction is simply that, forced. More air is forced in the engine, therefore requiring more fuel to run properly. Now I'm not saying it wont run without tuning because I'm sure it will, but too lean too long and your engine will be an overpriced paperweight.. Have fun with it, Oh BTW you plan on running a vortech or like a Jackson. Just curious on the planned setup.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plug n Play? (d16y8EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16y8EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok i know with a turbo setup you need to tune your engine a/f. But with a supercharger do yo have to? like can i mount the supercharger and just go? iknow i wont get the power i can get out of it. but i want a nice boost in power without having to tune it properly.

Plz post valid responses only. I'm leaning more towards a supercharger becuase i'm under the impression its plug n play. I'm not trying to get tons of hp and torque, just a nice boost in power in my sedan with a d16y8.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt recommend that. there is a reason people get their **** tuned. If you want plug and play, get minor bolt ons. I dont kno who told you that a supercharger is pnp but I wouldnt listen to their advice. Technically a turbo or supercharger can be pnp. But for it to run optimally , get more power and not make engine go bye bye, it needs to be tuned.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Want your motor to last? Want to get good gas mileage?

Save more money and get your **** tuned and do it right!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:16 PM

so basicly it would be better to get a turbo since they're cost relatively the same price. As for tuning, does the E-manage with the greddy kit work good?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: (d16y8EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16y8EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so basicly it would be better to get a turbo since they're cost relatively the same price. As for tuning, does the E-manage with the greddy kit work good? </TD></TR></TABLE>It really depends, some people don't like turbo lag so they go for the "always on" power of a super charger. Lag can be elimintaed/reduced with a nicer ball bearing turbo and a turbo timer, again more $$. I don't have experience with the Greddy kit so I can't help you there..
Old 08-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It really depends, some people don't like turbo lag so they go for the "always on" power of a super charger. Lag can be elimintaed/reduced with a nicer ball bearing turbo and a turbo timer, again more $$. I don't have experience with the Greddy kit so I can't help you there.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how does a turbo timer help out with turbo lag?

you CAN get a ball bearing turbo and you can also get a smaller turbo that will spool faster
Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: (ADVAN EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ADVAN EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how does a turbo timer help out with turbo lag?

you CAN get a ball bearing turbo and you can also get a smaller turbo that will spool faster</TD></TR></TABLE>Would that be a boost controller than, I'm kinda in FI kindergarden..
Old 08-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im sure he meant to say boost controller. A turbo timer keeps your car running after you leave it, allowing the turbo to cool down.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d16y8EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d16y8EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so basicly it would be better to get a turbo since they're cost relatively the same price. As for tuning, does the E-manage with the greddy kit work good? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have heard it works but to make it work at its best, you need to spend alot of money. You can go with the free or relatively low cost tuning software like uberdata or crome. I budgeted a laptop into my budget so I can tune myself. Depending on your goalsm you can get a turbo that will have minimal lag. Like the greddy kit on my D16Y had full boost by like 3K I beleive. I cant remember. I personally would go with turbo. Cost to power ratio favors turbo in every way. I have a kit capable of 200 or so whp and I spent less than a supercharger cost and that includes my laptop and some xtra goodies.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: (specv5150)

hey, well don't forget when you tune your are correcting that a/f ratio, air fuel, so with any power adder you need to tune.. super charger is adding more air, and a shitload at all times, 6psi is still enough to throw that a/f off.

and if your worried about tuning it, at just 6/8psi, as long as your car is running good you can get it tuned for under 300. That 300 goes a long way, a lot of peace of mind.. and you don't want to half *** your baby right ?

anymore questions feel free to hit me up

on a side-note also, a turbo timer won't help turbo lag, it will however extend the life of your seals inside that turbo, also it's has some cool display options for watching your engine. A great investment but commonly overlooked in a turbo/supercharger setup