Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

plexiglass sunroof fix, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default plexiglass sunroof fix, ideas?

i bought a shell and built it now its my daily, anyway when i picked it up the kid said it was an ex and i didnt check the vin till a few days after i got it and figured out its a dx. so someone cut a hole in the roof and put a piece of plexiglass in it? idk it use to be a track car but idk what would be the point of doing that. anyway, it leaks and im not sure of what to do, weighing out my options, id like to put a stock sunroof in it but if someone cut the hole i heard it will never not leak? opinions please idk what to do with it but im sick of my car being wet inside and it looks really bad compared to the rest of the car
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: plexiglass sunroof fix, ideas?

Originally Posted by project91crxsi
id like to put a stock sunroof in it
Not gonna happen.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet is to get an aftermarket sunroof installed and make sure they have a warranty incase it leaks again
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could find someone good at welding and have them TIG weld a patch panel in. A whole new roof could be installed, but that would be fairly involved. You could find some sort of seal to hide the seam and seal the two with polyurethane sealant.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would drill roof skin out and install stock dx oem roof skin, paint it and call it a day.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Not gonna happen.
You can but you'll have to swap the entire roof
Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's unfortunate. seems like somebody watched a little too much Viva La Bam. If it were me, i'd restore the roof back to factory. You should have gotten an Ex shell if you wanted a sunroof.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an ex shell but couldnt get ahold of the title for it so i stripped it back down after rebuilding it completely to build this one, i was told this was an ex shell and i figured they just replaced the sunroof glass with plexiglass and didnt really take notice too how rigged it was till a few days later. so basically i have a useless ex shell sitting next to it in my driveway, so i guess the easiest way for me would be to either get a friend to patch the hole, or get someone to help me roof swap. just wondering how hard the roof swap would really be? ive seen some say its real hard then i saw on a different forum someone saying its easy you just take out the roof gutters and drill out the spot welds holding the skin in and do the same to the ex then get someone to weld the ex skin in and its done...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. i think you would need to take that to a body shop to do the roof swap, i mean after all, the roof holds all those pillars together and you won't want those to be weakened or short of a weld, Why not just go back to the Ex and build it? i mean since the DX has a chomp out of it already, doesn't make sense to spend money to fix that sunroof.. unless the Ex is damaged beyond the Dx?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

His problem is not that its wrecked or whatnot but that he cant get a title so he cant register to drive it so I just say go ahead and try to put a sunroof in worst case is u need the new roof
Old 04-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ thank you, so i need to do something asap, it looks like rain for the next 3 days and today it was so much worse, i got in my car and my seats were soaked so i had a wet ***, then as i start driving it starts dripping on my legs out the front of the headliner, i look back and it was dripping all out of the back of the headliner too, and too top it off it was fogging up the windows so bad i could barely see. this is my daily driver i need to figure something out ASAP
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gzes
His problem is not that its wrecked or whatnot but that he cant get a title so he cant register to drive it so I just say go ahead and try to put a sunroof in worst case is u need the new roof
yes, the not titled one has some dents on it too and is primer, the one with the ****ed up roof is flawless, no dents no dings no rust no bondo, nice white with blue pearl paint
Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the roof has a massive hole cut in it, I wouldn't exactly call it flawless.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Icon3 Re: plexiglass sunroof fix, ideas?

Here is the DIY you need to do an OEM sunroof retrofit install. And it sounds like you are the perfect candidate since you have a donor car sitting right there, plus you NEED to fix the DX roof. You must join the board to view the thread ... but here's a preview:

Adding Sun Roof The Right Way.EG

by unleashedxbeast » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm
I decited to make this post to hopefully help those of you out there that are wondering if this can be done right.i took on the task to install an Si sun roof in my eg since it didnt come with one and i dont feel like buying a different hatch.Work in progress but will complete by the end of this month.Now Keep in mind that ,i have been doing bodywork and paint for over 7 years now so what im doing here is to make it easier for anyone who is willing to do this to their ride.i am in no way responsible for you messing up your roof because of lack of planning time and measurements.ok enjoy.

Parts needed:
92-95 hatchback si sun roof,or 94+ integra sun roof.
all 4 water drain lines
Preferably an si donor top
Si head liner
wiring for the sun roof if u can find.else u can prob make ur own.
Tools:metal cutting scissors to remove any extra unwanted metal.
electric saw,or plasma cutter if u can borrow one.
Patience.clamps.and of course a wire welder and(welding mask).

so here are the first pics.work in progress guys.

Get the donor top measurements before any cutting.U can use a Sharpie pen to draw your cut line on your hatchtop where u will cut.and cut.make sure u cover your interior from debris,grind the paint off around any parts you will be welding or working with.

You will need to cut the donor top around like this.leave a lip to work with where u will weld it to your top .add bond rubber or Silicone glue where pannels will meet.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so you can see what im working with here
Attached Images     
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Jeebuz.

Complete roof skin swap from the EX. Look at that rot on the roof! Yikes.

There's a couple of DIYs out there that will help you (one good one is for an EF that went from sunroof --> no sunroof; there's also one about a glass CRX roof install which will also be similar). But you are going to need welding skills and plenty of time. But, it's doable. And you get a sunroof out of it. (Do happy dance here.)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate my sunroof. I wish they made an EX without one.

IMO, your best bet is to simply close off the hole and try to get it back to a sun-roof-less car. I have a feeling that you will always fight leaks even if you go through ALL of that trouble for a window on your roof.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What would be the best bet then to weld metal in from the inside or outside? I just don't want to have to do tons of bodywork on the roof
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

****, I would honestly just ghetto rig it, sell the car and have it be someone else's problem. No matter what is wrong with these old Hondas, SOMEBODY out there will want it no matter what.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM
H-T White Ops

You couldn't tell that the roof had a hack job done to it with a chunk of plexi? That has to be the most NON stock looking "sunroof" ever.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or pull everything out of the car with the hacked roof. Sell both cars as a shell with a title and a parts car with no title. Go buy your own shell, throw everything from the hacked up car onto your new shell. It'd be a lot of work but I guarantee you'll come out on top doing it this way.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how do you NOT notice something like that?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
****, I would honestly just ghetto rig it, sell the car and have it be someone else's problem. No matter what is wrong with these old Hondas, SOMEBODY out there will want it no matter what.
the problem is this is my 9th honda in the past year and a half so im trying to stick with one and make it perfect

Originally Posted by Frozen E
You couldn't tell that the roof had a hack job done to it with a chunk of plexi? That has to be the most NON stock looking "sunroof" ever.
i saw it was plexiglass but i didnt take notice to how much of a pain it would be to fix, i just figured it was screwed over the stock hole because he said it was an ex and i looked in the bay and saw a power steering rack so i didnt look any further into it. so i figured replacing it with my stock sunroof from my other car and welding the little holes closed would pretty much be the extent of it
Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Or pull everything out of the car with the hacked roof. Sell both cars as a shell with a title and a parts car with no title. Go buy your own shell, throw everything from the hacked up car onto your new shell. It'd be a lot of work but I guarantee you'll come out on top doing it this way.
the problem with this is this is the 3rd car all of the parts on it have seen. i had the whole swap/suspension/interior on a 95 dx crashed it, bought the ex built it all, couldnt get the title so i bought this stripped the other one and built this one. after all that id rather just work with what ive got
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

9 cars in a year and a half?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but maybe you should actually figure out where you went wrong with all 9 of those, learn from those mistakes, and pick up a 10th that isn't all sorts of jacked up.

The structural integrity of the car is ruined as it sits right now. You should either replace the roof, or just replace the whole shell.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
9 cars in a year and a half?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but maybe you should actually figure out where you went wrong with all 9 of those, learn from those mistakes, and pick up a 10th that isn't all sorts of jacked up.

The structural integrity of the car is ruined as it sits right now. You should either replace the roof, or just replace the whole shell.
nothing went wrong with any of them, i just would get bored of them quickly or didnt like something about them so i was constantly buying trading all kinds of deals, i went from a $850 crx, to a b18 ek hatch with full skunk2 pro c one piece coilovers, beaks bar, asr subframe brace, asr sway, s2 lca's, s2 camber kits all around, it had everything but i got bit by the bug again and wanted to try out a eg coupe, traded for a fresh coupe did a some mods here and there loved it then i crashed it lol thats when the whole shell dilemma started

Quick Reply: plexiglass sunroof fix, ideas?