Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Plexiglass rear windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plexiglass rear windows

I have a civic sedan '93 dx and it's my baby. Everyone always tells me to sell it and buy a 2dr but thats outta the question. My dad bought me the car when I was 17 for cheap as dirt and I've just been modding it ever since, as a side project. It's slowly getting there but with the family growing and the funds NOT growing it's getting harder and harder to keep up on it. The engine is solid b16 swap all performance parts are solid on the car, but the body/windows look like ****

The windows and weather moldings are all jacked up but can be fixed. My main question here is I just want to install plexiglass windows in the back since there are no back seats, and never get used. the right side is ducktaped up due to being off track. Was gonna just get it back on track but, Like I said they never get used so why not get rid of 'em. How hard would it be to do it myself? OR If anyone around the Colorado springs area knows of a good body shop that could help me out on this?

I've tried searching around on the web about plexiglass windows for civics and have come up with nothing. Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plexiglass rear windows (eg8000rpm)

Daily driver? Illegal I believe. Probably just more practical to get the moldings replaced, and get that window back on the track. Plexiglass gets all scratched up real bad, real easy anyway.

You're looking to fix the problem, not exacerbate it, so why not just fix the problem. In terms of plexiglass, I don't know how to help you other than going to get some windows custom made, but unless it's a full track car, I would say get the glass windows fixed up on your sedan.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Plexiglass rear windows (BlackoutVTi)

get some lexan glass, legal and worth it.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plexiglass rear windows (ej1love)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej1love &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get some lexan glass, legal and worth it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is Legal where you live? You get stopped with out a DOT stamp on it... it may get impounded over here.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Plexiglass rear windows (badboyr66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by badboyr66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is Legal where you live? You get stopped with out a DOT stamp on it... it may get impounded over here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where is it that you live? i was recently thinking the same, but wasn't to sure.
i'm in FL.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 PM

like the earlier post. Get Lexan. it's good!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Re: (g0zigen_612)

yeah I live in Fort Carson Army post in CO. Im not sure the restrictions on this **** around here, I am from NY and I know they have numerous laws on cars and enforce them like no other up there, and I have to abide by the law being in the Army. what is this Lexan glass? I'm gonna go google it right now but what have you guys heard about it? Just curious thanks guys!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (g0zigen_612)

Here's a thread I found in a Mazda thread... "Lexan only for racing requirements to lose some weight and for safety purposes. Looks horrible after first cleaning. It has to be polished and what a mess for a daily driver. If you Did the peel off windshield thing like Nascar that would be cool, you could do your own pitstop at the gas station. I don't really think it would be practical though for a daily driver. I have worked with Lexan in other applications and it is not indestructable but it is very hard to work with. Cutting and trimming windows and getting them to fit like OE would be more suited to a race teams development budget than your pocket most likely."

I'll probably end up having to just keep the windows I have and re-set the one side, and change all the weather moldings and outer panels. Plus I don't even know the law regulations on different types of glass and what is/isn't street legal, round here.