Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please read: Place for all DIYs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read: Place for all DIYs?

A good half of the time I see great DIYs the pictures are missing.

This is natural as everyone uses free hosting, and especially after a while, the pics get deleted/moved either by the owner of the hosting company. Or they use up too much bandwidth, etc..

I was considering creating a site that would be a collection of all Honda DIYs.

There are 2 benefits to this

1) It would be easier to find a guide for whatever you're doing since they'll all be in one place.
2) It would prevent the frustration of missing pictures which happen all the time, since they'll be hosted on the site.

I'm willing to take care of everything (will be a simple system for now but if it grows I can make it really nice) such as the hosting and the domain, and the making/maintenance of the site.

I would obviously need the support of the mods/admins so make sure they're okay with it, and the support of the users (the posters of the DIYs would obviously have to give permission to have me post it on the site).

Let me know if you guys think this is a good or stupid idea.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please read: Place for all DIYs? (BlitzSix)

Try this: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1998336
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please read: Place for all DIYs? (ke98248)

Good that they're in one place but I clicked on 4 of them and none of them had working pics

That's the main problem..
Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlitzSix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good that they're in one place but I clicked on 4 of them and none of them had working pics

That's the main problem..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you PM me with which ones and I will try to correct the problem.

If you think I've forgotten about it think again - I'm just busy with other stuff and have been.

I offer photobucket (which is good enough) to anybody who needs photohosting - I will be more than happy to do it for their thread in the FAQ section. All the people who's picture links were broken I PM'ed asking if they would like me to host their pictures, only a few replied.

I still have open offers to anybody who wants hosting for pictures in a thread in the FAQ section.

It's not a main problem, I'm not an admin, I can't edit peoples' posts nor do I have access to pictures they took - I PM'ed the pple who were broken - not all (not even half) responded back.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlitzSix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good that they're in one place but I clicked on 4 of them and none of them had working pics

That's the main problem..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here, so many DIY threads that I come across/search for have non-working pics.

I support your idea
Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please read: Place for all DIYs? (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same here, so many DIY threads that I come across/search for have non-working pics.

I support your idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

Then PM the thread owner about it or PM me about it, do something constructive with the complaining instead of making a post in the wrong forum about it.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please read: Place for all DIYs? (Syndacate)

I noticed the official crankcase OIL catch can thread has no usable pictures last time I checked last week. I have all the pix if you want me to upload them or send them to you Syndacate.

This is what I'm talking about: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199935

It's a great thread, but without pictures it doesn't help many people, or people won't wanna take the time to read it.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please read: Place for all DIYs? (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I noticed the official crankcase OIL catch can thread has no usable pictures last time I checked last week. I have all the pix if you want me to upload them or send them to you Syndacate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a plan.

I'll PM you my e-mail address so you can send the pictures.

I keep a separate, dedicated photobucket account for forum photos on H-T.

Also, to everybody:
There is a big update on the FAQ section due soon - real soon - I just haven't had time. This update has been pending since thanksgiving. Just stick it out a bit more, tops. I just need like a clear day to sit down and deal with it all.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Then PM the thread owner about it or PM me about it, do something constructive with the complaining instead of making a post in the wrong forum about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have before with no reply.

Right back at ya
Old 07-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the OP's idea - not saying the DIY's don't help w/o pics, but it's a whole lot more convenient to have pics.

And I have PM'd a couple people about dead pictures, but they never got back to me
Old 07-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please read: Place for all DIYs? (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have before with no reply.

Right back at ya </TD></TR></TABLE>

Right back at me? I wasn't complaining about it...

Idiot.

I've PM'ed people who have DIY's in the FAQ section to see if they want me to host their pictures or if they want to do it - or something - I haven't gotten a reply, if you can speed the process along or something be my guest. If you're trying to imply that you sent me a PM regarding this situation and I haven't answered it, please see H-T tech support about your PM's not getting through, as I haven't received any PM's recently regarding people wanting to host pictures for the DIY's in the FAQ.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sde780)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sde780 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like the OP's idea - not saying the DIY's don't help w/o pics, but it's a whole lot more convenient to have pics.

And I have PM'd a couple people about dead pictures, but they never got back to me</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I know. I had already done this a long time ago to no avail.

There's nothing left I can do if they don't respond.

It's a two player game - both people need to participate. If they have the pictures, and their host is down, and they won't respond, I can't do anything about it, now can I?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Then you PM me with which ones and I will try to correct the problem.

If you think I've forgotten about it think again - I'm just busy with other stuff and have been.

I offer photobucket (which is good enough) to anybody who needs photohosting - I will be more than happy to do it for their thread in the FAQ section. All the people who's picture links were broken I PM'ed asking if they would like me to host their pictures, only a few replied.

I still have open offers to anybody who wants hosting for pictures in a thread in the FAQ section.

It's not a main problem, I'm not an admin, I can't edit peoples' posts nor do I have access to pictures they took - I PM'ed the pple who were broken - not all (not even half) responded back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand, and what you're doing is great but with the way things are it's a constant hassle of tracking down people when pics go down (which they do all the time), and who knows when/if they answer. If I want to install a short shifter this weekend I'm not gonna wait a week for the starter of the DIY to MAYBE check his PM and post up the pics again.

Photobucket is great but it DOES max out the pic's bandwidth sometimes, and people move pics around after a while so it's not that great for archive purposes. And then you have to chase people around for basically every DIY after a while, and hope they still have the pics somewhere and will send them to you (if they even answer).

I was just saying if it's all in one place it's easier. Instead of wasting 90% of your time finding old pics when they go down, and rehosting them, only to run into more problems later.... you can focus on just adding quality DIYs.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Yes, I know. I had already done this a long time ago to no avail.

There's nothing left I can do if they don't respond.

It's a two player game - both people need to participate. If they have the pictures, and their host is down, and they won't respond, I can't do anything about it, now can I?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, now would it not be easier to just have the DIY placed and hosted at a reliable source? There would be no need to ever track anyone down over missing pcitures.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlitzSix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlitzSix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Exactly, now would it not be easier to just have the DIY placed and hosted at a reliable source? There would be no need to ever track anyone down over missing pcitures.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I welcome all new DIY's with the option to host their pictures.

I tried to find the creators of older threads who's pictures have gone missing.

So what are you saying, that I should delete every DIY/FAQ that doesn't have pictures, or that there should be a second FAQ with only pictures?

If the solution is so simple, then advise me, if you were in my position, what would you do?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know where i can get the moulding thats at the bottom of the window on a 92-95 civic hatch...mines starting to peel and the metal is showing underneath. thanks.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

I welcome all new DIY's with the option to host their pictures.

I tried to find the creators of older threads who's pictures have gone missing.

So what are you saying, that I should delete every DIY/FAQ that doesn't have pictures, or that there should be a second FAQ with only pictures?

If the solution is so simple, then advise me, if you were in my position, what would you do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well where do you host them ?

The solution I'm saying is to host it in a reliable place, which photobucket is not.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

syndacate is saying that the original posters of the DIY may have removed the pics from their photobucket, or closed their accounts... all hes saying is that if he can get ahold of all the pics, then he would be more than happy to repost them... i think he can see your "solution" but regardless he cant get the pics either
Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburnerryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">syndacate is saying that the original posters of the DIY may have removed the pics from their photobucket, or closed their accounts... all hes saying is that if he can get ahold of all the pics, then he would be more than happy to repost them... i think he can see your "solution" but regardless he cant get the pics either</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, thank you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlitzSix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well where do you host them ?

The solution I'm saying is to host it in a reliable place, which photobucket is not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it'll help to tell you that this FAQ was a revision of an older FAQ, that is very old - look at the dates on some of those threads, some of them are VERY old. Some of them have had missing picture links for years, since the older FAQ, others dropped off the map.

I offer to all new and current thread owners in the FAQ section hosting for their pictures, but if they don't have them anymore and don't get back to me, there's nothing I can do.

I do see what you're saying, but it's 100% redundant - all DIY's offered applying to '92-'00 civics/del sols will be posted, pictures or not, if they have pictures, I can try to help them by hosting them, if they lost the pictures or don't respond to PM's or something, there's nothing else I can do - or you - or anybody else. I think you're under the impression that most of these are new which is simply VERY false - most of these are VERY old making the creators hard to contact sometimes and pictures lost in the process.

Photobucket is fine for what it is (hosting pictures). Neither speed nor bandwidth has been a problem hosting the photos that are hosted there, and if bandwidth becomes a problem I can simply open another dedicated account for H-T. It's not a problem now, and I don't foresee it being a problem, but if it becomes one, it's easily fixable. Most of these threads are very old and nobody has the original pictures anymore or they don't go on H-T (and have become not contactable) anymore. With that said, there's no need to host them in "one reliable place" - photobucket has been 100% reliable, it's the thread creators who are the problem. Very few of these "broken picture threads" have thread creators who are still active on H-T, and that's the problem.

Modified by Syndacate at 7:55 PM 7/5/2008