Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please Read NEED HELP FROM B-SERIES GUYS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 PM
blucivicSl

Default Please Read NEED HELP FROM B-SERIES GUYS

yo whats up guys, i am new on the post and need some advice. I have an 96 civic coupe with a jdm b16 skunk 2 chipped ecu, header, intake, exhaust, aem fuel rail and pressure regulator. Its a semi-daily driver, so i dont wanna go to crazy with it. Anyway, ever since i got the car I was burning a shitload of oil and had a leaky head gasket so i had my mechanic fix the gasket and wrote the oil buring off as a "honda thing" since a lot of other guys with b-series motors had told me that thiers burned oil too. Unfortunately it turned out that two of my pistons had holes melted on the top of them exposing the rings. I already have skunk 2 stage 2 cams, springs,camgears and retainers for the head, and am planning on purchasing skunk2 valves but i dont know what to do about my bottom end. I have around 2500 to spend here including labor and i still need pistons(CTR of course), and my mechanic is already talkin about how i need to spend at least 1500 boring out and rebuilding my whole bottom end plus at least 800 for all the labor hes gonna do pulling the engine out and putting it back. I just wanna get this thing back on the road with a little more power for as little $$ as possible, and i am too scared of future problems to do the ls/vtec so:
A. is 1500 standard for a bottom end rebuild?
B. wouldnt it be cheaper/better to just buy a used stock complete gsr bottom end and put by b16 head on it?
C.would a stock gsr bottom end be able to handle a head like the one I'm using.
D can i just replace my blown pistons in my b16 with CTR pistons without doing a whole bottom end rebuild?
Thanks for taking the time to respond i know this is a long post but your guys input will be greatly apreciated.

Ps- Any hot car shows in NJ comin up?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Please Read NEED HELP FROM B-SERIES GUYS (blucivicSl)

Bump, I didn't read it but it's on the fourth page.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:15 AM
blucivicSl

bump
Old 05-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (blucivicSl)

If the pistons are melted and the rings are out then your walls are probably fucked. So your probably going to need the walls honed as well.

I would look for a new block unless if your mechanic has hook ups to machine shops for good prices.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to get a cheap long block or short block B16. You could get a long block for a grand or so and swap the heads and sell the stock head one to cover the labor.