Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please read I need advise, I think my engine got Hydrolocked last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read I need advise, I think my engine got Hydrolocked last night

Ok so last night it was raining like crazy and I was leaving my apartment well I was driving around 20mph and where it was raining really bad there was about 2 inches of water setting on the road. Well As soon as I hit the water I noticied water splashing up from the tires and then the motor just died. I tried to start the car and it would not even click. So I pushed the car into a parking spot thinking maybe the battery some how was dead because the lights where all coming on really dim. Well today I went back and jumped the car and it still would not start but I could hear the engine trying to turn over. So now I am thinking that it some how its hydrolocked but the weird thing about it is the car does not have a cold air intake it has an aem short ram tube with stock air box. I dont have any tools to take anything apart right now so I am looking for opinions. I was talking to one guy here at my work and he said that it sounds like maybe the altanator or the dis. cap got wet??? Please let me know what you think before I have the car towed off.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Please read I need advise, I think my engine got Hydrolocked last night (kydragger)

ive gotten my dist. cap wet before and my car acted like it wanted to crank but wouldnt..i took the cap off..dried everything out really good..put it back on..chilled ..then went and cranked it back up after it finally dried out.

But the distributor getting wet shouldnt affect your power supply to your cars lighting. You did say it was getting dim right??

Dry out the dis. cap and try and crank it.
But the dimming of the lights is coming from lack of power either from the battery or altenator or both.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please read I need advise, I think my engine got Hydrolocked last night (kydragger)

seriously doubt you hydrolocked your engine with a short ram...

i'd start with the distributor cap and charge/jump the battery. you probably got water in the cap and killed your battery trying to restart it..

**once there is water/condensation in the cap the car will keep turning over until you kill the battery**
Old 03-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but you water hitting the d.cap cause the car to die like that???
Old 03-28-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: (kydragger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kydragger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but you water hitting the d.cap cause the car to die like that???</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is a chance that if it was soaked it would cause the car to go ahead and cut off...
but i just thought about it, how could it have got soaked enough to cut off if he was driving at low speeds.
how could it send that much water that high up in the engine bay at 20mph in 2in. of water..

anyone else?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oldskooljdm)

20mph thru 2 inches of water is very possible..

almost willing to bet that the speed was faster and the water was deeper....

if water or condensation gets in the cap the electric current can't flow across a wet rotor contact to your actual spark plug wire..

quick tutorial...
the cap covers the rotor. as the rotor spins it allows electrical current to flow to each one of the 4 spark plug wires one at a time. if the contact is wet current wont flow over it
Old 03-28-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: (sidesi)

the cap is your best bet...
dry it out.
wait.
go crank it up..

Old 03-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oldskooljdm)

Ok, well as soon as it stops raining I will check it, if it was the cap would there be signs or water inside??? Also just to ask if some how the intake did take in water would the engine try to turn over at all or whats a good ind. of that
Old 03-28-2005, 05:03 PM

pull oil dip stick and if its all creamy you got major issues
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: (kydragger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kydragger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, well as soon as it stops raining I will check it, if it was the cap would there be signs or water inside??? Also just to ask if some how the intake did take in water would the engine try to turn over at all or whats a good ind. of that</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you pull the cap check for any cracks or anywhere water could leak in....it would probably be good to go ahead and change the cap and rotor button
Old 03-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I will check these all tomorrow