Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please Please help, no speedo, no odom, harsh shift, d4 flashing, not vss or ecu/pcm!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Please help, no speedo, no odom, harsh shift, d4 flashing, not vss or ecu/pcm!

I have a 2000 Honda Civic VP (base) Auto trans...... I was driving down the interstate at around 70-75 mph and all of the sudden my CEL cam on, my speedo dropped to zero, and my D4 shift indicator started flashing on my cluster. I got off the interstate and came to a stop at the red light. When I tried to take off it acted like it was still in 4th gear. No acceleration regardless of engine load. I shifted it into 2nd gear and it shifted very very hard. I made it home and over the next couple of days I drove it around a little to see if I could get it shift properly. My alternator is charging intermtly. I replaced the VSS, no change. I replaced my ECU/PCM, no change. Please help!!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Please help, no speedo, no odom, harsh shift, d4 flashing, not vss or ecu/pcm! (Neoclimbe

pull the code, bud.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Please help, no speedo, no odom, harsh shift, d4 flashing, not vss or ecu/pcm! (Neoclimbe

also, did you reset your ecu after changing the VSS and ECU??? (pulling the ECU fuse accomplishes this)

hope this is of some help.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, did you reset your ecu after changing the VSS and ECU??? (pulling the ECU fuse accomplishes this)

hope this is of some help.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the trans fluid? and yea check the code off the ecu.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:06 AM

ok here are the codes:

P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

P0135 Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Primary HO2S) (Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction

P0141 Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Secondary HO2S) (Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction

P1753 Problem in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Circuit

P1768 Problem in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve B Circuit

I already checked the trans fluid just in case but it was just flushed about 10k miles ago.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Neoclimber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neoclimber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok here are the codes:

P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

P0135 Primary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Primary HO2S) (Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction

P0141 Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensor (Secondary HO2S) (Sensor 2) Heater Circuit Malfunction

P1753 Problem in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Circuit

P1768 Problem in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve B Circuit

I already checked the trans fluid just in case but it was just flushed about 10k miles ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not touching that with a ten-foot pole... clear those codes, man. im somewhat at a loss w/ auto tranny's
Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Grounds

Check you ground near the thermostat housing. If that's bad all you sensors go haywire.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Ok, so I tracked down the problem to a fuse. Funny that I didnt catch that before when I checked all my fuses. Anyways now I keep blowing the #15 fuse (7.5a Alt sp sensor). It will be fine until a drive a couple minutes then it blows the fuse. I tried up to a 20a fuse but it blew that. I didnt want to risk frying something so I didnt go any higher. Any Ideas?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You have a common problem caused by short circuiting of the wire harness near the intake manifold. Inspecting from below the car might be best.

http://autorepair.about.com/li...d.htm
Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 AM

Where exactly does the harness short at? I can't find it. but it's really hard to get to so it would really help if I knew where the short is. Does it actually rub the intake bracket? or is it at the connector?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not aware of shorting at the connector. The shorts seem to generally occur from wire damage caused by rubbing against the bracket or wire insulation melting caused by heat from the manifold.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 AM

I dont feel any rubbed through spots at the bracket but I'm not for sure because I can't see all of that part of the harness. Is there a temp fix for it until I can really dig into it?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, there's no temporary fix that I am aware of.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:39 AM

What are the chances that a short in another area of the harness would cause those codes?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neoclimber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are the chances that a short in another area of the harness would cause those codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Very unlikely.

That odd combination of codes is almost always caused by damaged or missing insulation on the notorious wire behind the manifold on D16Y7s, although it usually comes up with a VSS code rather than the torque converter clutch solenoid codes.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Please help, no speedo, no odom, harsh shift, d4 flashing, not vss or ecu/

i have almost the exact problem- i have a 99 civic lx automatic. all the same problems, feels like the tranny isnt shifting. when i put it in 2 it works as it normally should, but d3 and d4 seem like they are stuck in high gear. im almost certain its an electrical issue- my battery is not charging. must be some sort of short. its at honda right now and im hoping they can figure it out, but sounds like ill have to do it myself.

Last edited by Former User; 03-02-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Racist comment deleted.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please Please help, no speedo, no odom, harsh shift, d4 flashing, not vss or ecu/

they were telling me i need to replace the tranny and that my car is not worth fixing. they kept telling me the tranny was slipping when i know it wasnt.. it wasnt shifting. dealerships just **** me off but i thought if anyone they could find the problem. looks to me like the just ran my codes and told me i need a new eld and a new tranny, without looking at wiring or shorts or anything.

Last edited by Former User; 03-02-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Racist comment deleted.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by akcapr
i have almost the exact problem- i have a 99 civic lx automatic. all the same problems, feels like the tranny isnt shifting. when i put it in 2 it works as it normally should, but d3 and d4 seem like they are stuck in high gear. im almost certain its an electrical issue- my battery is not charging. must be some sort of short. its at honda right now and im hoping they can figure it out, but sounds like ill have to do it myself.
If your problem matches with the OP's, then click the fuse 15 TSB in my signature.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Neoclimber
I have a 2000 Honda Civic VP (base) Auto trans...... I was driving down the interstate at around 70-75 mph and all of the sudden my CEL cam on, my speedo dropped to zero, and my D4 shift indicator started flashing on my cluster. I got off the interstate and came to a stop at the red light. When I tried to take off it acted like it was still in 4th gear. No acceleration regardless of engine load. I shifted it into 2nd gear and it shifted very very hard. I made it home and over the next couple of days I drove it around a little to see if I could get it shift properly. My alternator is charging intermtly. I replaced the VSS, no change. I replaced my ECU/PCM, no change. Please help!!
I had very same issue down to the mph and every symptom after.. Just wanted to thank everyone who posted here. saved me time and money, probably would have sold the car for scrap. after reading this checked #15 and what do ya know it was blown. I havent found the bad wire yet but i replaced the fuse and got under the car and taped up and secured the wires under the manifold.. pulled the cpu fuse to reset and the car started right up with no lights or problems shifting and drove great.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great that you got it fixed and all, but please don't bump 7 year old, dead threads. No one likes a thread necro.