Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

please need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please need help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok listen i have a ls in a eg.fully built with msd.the car will turn off RANDOMLY while driving or on about once a day.i have recently got a distributor and changed the main relay.wires are good cause they were changed less than a year ago(blue ngk) n cap n rotor are in good shape.but msd wise not thing has been replaced for about 6 years.AND when the car turns off n is cranking but wont fire on it gets no spark.soo i am wondering if the msd external coil is going bad?would that cause the car to turn off randomly like so?or if theres anything else i can take a look at or repleace please let me know.thanks..appreciate any input.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: please need help

Do you still have your OEM ignition components? Your best bet to test if your MSD is going bad is to remove it from the equation. The symptoms you describe COULD mean the MSD is shot, but I don't know any other way to verify besides removing it.

Oh, and you may want to edit your topic title. "Please need help" is pretty vague, which makes less people want to click it.

Good luck
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: please need help

So does the rpm drop while your driving and it suddenly shuts off? does it do this at a dead stop like at a stop light?
the first thing I would do is check all the wiring and make sure you have all the grounds connected. This includes head, tranny, and thermostat. also make sure there are no check engine lights

Second, check your tps and make sure it adjusted correctly. When you start the car check if its bogging or anything like that. If so then adjust the tps or check your vaccuum lines.

Third, check your spark plugs or find replacement spark plugs for now. Also check your spark plug wire connections. Make sure that they are properly hooked up to the distributor cap in the correct firing order. Just because the spark plug wires were replaced a year ago, it doesnt mean there might be something wrong with it. replace it if you have to.

Fourth, replace cap and rotor if necessary.

If all else still fails then I would remove the msd