Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please help me solve the problem on my civic, video included!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me solve the problem on my civic, video included!

Hi,
I hope you guys can help me with my car problem. Watch this video first . Please bear with my grammar or spelling mistakes: D.

My car developed a strange problem about a month ago. It makes a very strange sound (You can hear it when the car initially starts up in the video) in 1st and 2nd gear around 3,500RPM and up. This is only in 1st and 2nd gear strangely. I should also add this only happens when the car is IN gear. When the gear is in neutral and I rev the engine passed 3,500RPM it makes no sound what so ever. Again this sound is very similar to the sound that you hear in the video when the car starts up initially. I thought there was something wrong with my transmission, so I had that checked out. I heard if you’re low on transmission fluids that your transmission can and does make noise in gear. I had that checked out and my transmission fluid was full.

There’s also a scene with my engine bay. I don’t really understand where this sound is coming from. My car never used to sound like that. Also the spark plugs seem to be moving too much. I had checked out some other civics and their engines didn’t sound this bad, also there spark plugs weren’t moving at all. When I first got my car, none of this was happening.

Please give me some suggestions to what’s wrong with my car. I will have my car checked out by a mechanic when I move back to my city, right now I’m in Edmonton.

Thanks for reading and please help out!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not really sure what your asking but if your reffering to the tapping nosie i woud say you need to adjust your valves hope that helped
Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Please help me solve the problem on my civic, video included! (bashir26)

what do you mean "your spark plugs are moving"?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Re: (kyorishin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyorishin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not really sure what your asking but if your reffering to the tapping nosie i woud say you need to adjust your valves hope that helped</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure what noise your talking about, it does sound like you need a valve adjustment though. I'd check your timing also.

bump 4 a answer....
Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Please help me solve the problem on my civic, video included! (95jeremie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyorishin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not really sure what your asking but if your reffering to the tapping nosie i woud say you need to adjust your valves hope that helped</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sure what noise your talking about, it does sound like you need a valve adjustment though. I'd check your timing also.
bump 4 a answer....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes I'm reffering to the tapping noise the car makes. It also makes a really strange sound when its in gear. It's a different sound from the tapping sound. I'm not sure whats causing this?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean "your spark plugs are moving"?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Checked out another honda hatch that had the same engine and his spark plugs weren't moving at all. I don't know if that could cause a problem or not

Thanks for all the help and quick responses!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Please help me solve the problem on my civic, video included! (bashir26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean "your spark plugs are moving"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think hes talking about the wires!

Ive heard that noise twice b4......one motor had no oil, and the other over reved racing and the noise was "rod knock"

I think the DX motor has seen it last days!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help me solve the problem on my civic, video included! (skUnK2jdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skUnK2jdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think hes talking about the wires!

Ive heard that noise twice b4......one motor had no oil, and the other over reved racing and the noise was "rod knock"

I think the DX motor has seen it last days!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldn't jump to conclusions, theres plenty of things you can check before just saying "its rod knock, you need a new motor" although you could be true, your jumping over plenty of options...

i had a 89 accord back in the day, and a spark plug was loose, and you could hear it rattling when i started the car... it made the plug vibrate erratically. i would say check your spark plugs and make sure they are in there snug. also check your valve lash as well. a lash can make the world of difference.
while it could be a knock from the bottom end, i'd make sure everything on my top end was set correctly. from timing to lash to torque settings.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Please help me solve the problem on my civic, video included! (nskforlife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nskforlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i wouldn't jump to conclusions, theres plenty of things you can check before just saying "its rod knock, you need a new motor" although you could be true, your jumping over plenty of options...

i had a 89 accord back in the day, and a spark plug was loose, and you could hear it rattling when i started the car... it made the plug vibrate erratically. i would say check your spark plugs and make sure they are in there snug. also check your valve lash as well. a lash can make the world of difference.
while it could be a knock from the bottom end, i'd make sure everything on my top end was set correctly. from timing to lash to torque settings.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is oil in the car. Maybe it was caused from me over revving the car. Very possible actually The engine only has about 85,000miles on it.

How do I check Valve lash? Also if its a rod knock will I need a motor 100%. How long can I drive this car before the engine goes if its a rod knock?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Modified by bashir26 at 2:25 PM 4/17/2008
Old 04-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear two noises...

1- You need a valve lash for sure. Sounds like a diesel. Take it to a mechanic if you cant do it yourself.

2- Possibly the clutch throwout bearing. Does the noise change if you simply push the clutch pedal in and out?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andres-eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear two noises...

1- You need a valve lash for sure. Sounds like a diesel. Take it to a mechanic if you cant do it yourself.

2- Possibly the clutch throwout bearing. Does the noise change if you simply push the clutch pedal in and out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Yes there are two different types of noises on the car. Yes the car does sound like diesel, its horrible right now.

2. Yes if I push the clutch in the sound does change.

Ill try to post another video of me driving. I'm sure it will explain more.

Thanks again
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (bashir26)

just buy a b16 or b18 and swap it and your problems solved :-)
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bashir26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. Yes there are two different types of noises on the car. Yes the car does sound like diesel, its horrible right now.

2. Yes if I push the clutch in the sound does change.

Ill try to post another video of me driving. I'm sure it will explain more.

Thanks again
</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h4wzsZsUr8

There are two parts to this video
a. Me just driving the car
b. me showing the tach. You can see if the car is in neutral and I rev to about 4,000-6,000 there is no strange buzzing noise. When I put the car in gear and start driving it rev the engine to 4,000RPM you hear a buzzing sound. Hope these two videos explain my problem.

Sorry for my bad camera work

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 PM

bizump
Old 04-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...t.php

since it sounds like multiple problems that you're having, try to remedy it by removing problems there til you figure out every problem your cars having...

the valve lash is easier on a d series imo. turn the crank CCW to tdc overlap on cyl 1 and lash cyl 4. cyl 3 will come to overlap then 90* after, and check cyl 2, then 4 will overlap and check 1, and 2 overlap check 3

its fairly simple when you get the hang of it
Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 PM

I have an appointment with a mechanic on Monday. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bashir26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an appointment with a mechanic on Monday. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

make sure its a honda certified mechanic....not some random mechanic.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

make sure its a honda certified mechanic....not some random mechanic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

make sure it's a knowledgeable mechanic about honda's. i'm not honda certified but i guarantee i could figure most all of your engine problems...
just make sure he doesn't jump to conclusions like mr.rod knock up a few posts
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM

So i took it to a certified honda tech and they told me that i need a new release bearing. They told me since the labour was going to cost $400 that i should get my whole clutch set replaced. The total cost is $771