Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please help me put this to a rest !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 11:25 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me put this to a rest !!!!

Ok I have a 92 cx... Iam looking to go about mid 13's*(daily driven ) all motor on street tires. Now in the other post about how to make a sohc fast there were many posts saying it could be done but I have heard from a very good source that it just cant. Can someone please tell me if Iam just wasting my time and I should just go dohc or if I could build a z6 in my cx. Well thanks for the help. Sorry I know this topic has been talked about tons of time...its just hard deciding what to spend my hard earned money on.

Take Care
Troy
Old 07-19-2002, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (Halive)

Sohc can do 13's, but as for that 8 valve 70 hp cx motor, I think that will take tons of money, and the only reason to do this is because you want to prove someone wrong. I actually have much respect for someone building the d16z6. I think if I could go back I might do that.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:46 PM
New User

No No No Iam not building the **** motor I have in my car now. Iam waiting till I figure out If Iam going z6 or save for the rest of my life(hey Iam 19 and only making 10 an hour) for a c5. I personally would like to go with the z6 but I dont want to dump a bunch of money in a car that will never reach the goals I have set.

I dont understand why the source I have said it cant be done. I have heard of stock z6 in a cx run like a 14.8 or .7.... I would believe that with extensive work it can be done. I am just scared cause he said it couldnt....
Old 07-20-2002, 12:12 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it can deffinately be done..thats what I'm doing to my Si. Right now, all I've done is had my head port/polished, milled .020, and intake with custome 2 1/4 in exhaust-no resonator. I'm running high 14's, and I'm having some bad blowby( my copper head gasket didn't seal well), so I'm taking care of that tomorrow. But I'm getting a spare block and building that one with some forged pistons and stronger rods. I'd LOVE to be high 13's, but we'll see. Good luck to yourself
Old 07-20-2002, 12:32 AM
New User

dude not to sound like a total ****...but I most likly will anyway...that seems alittle high for all the work you put into it. Do you have power steering and a/c??? Did you do any weight reduction to your car...cause you are already a good 400 pounds heavier I think and if you do have a/c and power steering....I wonder what you would run without all that. Most likly low 14's wouldnt you think. Well thanks for the info. Wasnt trying to be a dick sorry if I was..

Troy
Old 07-20-2002, 12:36 AM
New User

well Iam going to have a cig but before I go Iam wondering if you guys think that this would run 13's.... ok z6 motor... jg header..aem cai...skunk2 exhaust..landspeed highflow cat...big bore throttle body...skunk2 intak mani...skunk2 cams(or crower stage 2 or 3) ported and polished head.. a1 pistons(I have heard 13 to 1 compression) lsd and hondata ecu if that isnt enough screw it Ill just save up for the dohc
Old 07-20-2002, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (BlackDeuceCoupe)

z6 w/ zex and a cam shaft....13's. i'd do valves, valvesprings, and valve spring retainers too.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:26 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (Vanilla4215)

Sohc can do 13's...
The Matrix Racing Honda CRX -- billed as the world's quickest and fastest naturally aspirated SOHC Honda and the first naturally aspirated non-V-TEC Honda to run in the 11s -- has run in the 11.20s. So, it is possible for them to do LESS than 13s, but we're talking racecar, not daily driver...

http://www.turbomagazine.com/archive...e11_idrc.shtml

"In the Import Tuner All-Motor Class three West Coast racers were able to better their e.t.s. Jarrod Silvers piloted his Westside-sponsored CRX to a 10.91 in competition but was able to run a 10.74 the previous day. Bisi Ezerioha raised the bar on SOHC performance. His car not only proved that you don't need two cams to run in the low 11s, it also proved that fuel injection isn't a necessity on a Honda. Not only did the RS Motorworks CRX better its time to an 11.24, it backed it up with an 11.29 and 11.35 while taking home a second place trophy in the class.

A newcomer to the All-Motor Class, Andrea Whitfield out of California, piloted her Hook Ups-sponsored CRX into the mid 11s, running a stock bottom end and factory ECU."
Feel better now, Halive???
Old 07-20-2002, 06:16 AM
New User

up
Old 07-20-2002, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Sohc can do 13's...

The Matrix Racing Honda CRX -- billed as the world's quickest and fastest naturally aspirated SOHC Honda and the first naturally aspirated non-V-TEC Honda to run in the 11s -- has run in the 11.20s. So, it is possible for them to do LESS than 13s, but we're talking racecar, not daily driver...

http://www.turbomagazine.com/archive...e11_idrc.shtml

"In the Import Tuner All-Motor Class three West Coast racers were able to better their e.t.s. Jarrod Silvers piloted his Westside-sponsored CRX to a 10.91 in competition but was able to run a 10.74 the previous day. Bisi Ezerioha raised the bar on SOHC performance. His car not only proved that you don't need two cams to run in the low 11s, it also proved that fuel injection isn't a necessity on a Honda. Not only did the RS Motorworks CRX better its time to an 11.24, it backed it up with an 11.29 and 11.35 while taking home a second place trophy in the class.

A newcomer to the All-Motor Class, Andrea Whitfield out of California, piloted her Hook Ups-sponsored CRX into the mid 11s, running a stock bottom end and factory ECU."

Feel better now, Halive???

Yeah.... you to can run 11's with SOHC ....if ya got 20-30 grand to spend! And even though his motor is SOHC...it no longer resembles anything like a stock motor. I wouldnt be surprised if its 2.0 or 2.2 by now.
Anyways.. back to the topic... Yes I think it can be done. But its going to cost alot of money... alot of time... alot of tuning. You'll need to push that motor to its limits for that kind of power to make it run 13's. I personally dont think its worth it...because you can acheive your goal alot easier and spend waaaay less money to do 13's with a DOHC. But if you want a challenge then go for it... just know how tough a road you have ahead of you.

[Modified by CRX_VTEC, 7:46 AM 7/20/2002]
Old 07-20-2002, 07:22 AM

I dont understand why the source I have said it cant be done. I have heard of stock z6 in a cx run like a 14.8 or .7.... I would believe that with extensive work it can be done. I am just scared cause he said it couldnt....
It's a practical consideration. Can you go to the moon?

Technically, yes, it CAN be done. It has been done. Can YOU go to the moon? Sure. If you have the finances of a large country behind you, and the technical expertise to back it up.

Can a SOHC go 13's in the 1/4? Sure. Will it be easy? No. Will it be easy naturally aspirated, no. Will it be cheap? No. Will you have to spend weeks and weeks and several thousand to get it there? Yes.

All up to you dude.

Shawn
Old 07-20-2002, 04:16 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (shawnhayes)

...It's a practical consideration. Can you go to the moon? Technically, yes, it CAN be done... Can a SOHC go 13's in the 1/4? Sure...
It's a matter of credibility with Halive.

..Now in the other post about how to make a sohc fast there were many posts saying it could be done but I have heard from a very good source that it just cant.[/b]
That means H-T is NOT a "good source" in Halive's opinion.

Ppl on H-T have told him it CAN be done. I've posted a pic and a link proving it. No response.. Some phantom authority said it CANNOT be done and that's what Halive wants to believe, so I suggest we quit wasting our time on the subject...
Old 07-20-2002, 08:31 PM
New User

dude there is no reason to be a ******* *****...all Iam saying is someone that I talk to that has one of the best "street" d series setups says it cant be done. I would trust him over your opinion. What is tons and tons of money. It will cost be a little less than 7 grand to get a c5 swap and that is the swap I would go for if I didnt do a single over head cam. I just dont see why if people can run high (14.8) with just a intake in a cx with a sohc why would a built sohc run 13's.Well any way too many drinks this isnt making too much sence.

Troy
Old 07-20-2002, 08:43 PM

No No No Iam not building the **** motor I have in my car now. Iam waiting till I figure out If Iam going z6 or save for the rest of my life(hey Iam 19 and only making 10 an hour) for a c5. I personally would like to go with the z6 but I dont want to dump a bunch of money in a car that will never reach the goals I have set.

A z6 in a cx running high 14's . Thats really good . A 17 second car running hight 14's with a $500 swap is really good . Why arent people doing this to their cx's ?
I plan on dropping a Y8 into my 98cx and it wont be the fastest thing out there but it will be good enough for me.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damm man, you have the same dream that i have. being able to have a 13sec all motor sohc. But that dream is starting to die right now because of how crappy my motor is running right now. But i dunno, im still trying to decide if i want to stay a sohc or go over to the dohc side. if its possible to be in the 13s all motor and daily driven, then i think imma stay sohc. i mean i dont think its dat impossible cause my friend with an Si hit mid 14s w/ just i/h/e, and a gutted car. and also on JG site, it has a dyno sheet with one of thier heads that was on a stock d16 block and modified ecu, that Dynoed 160whp. Dunno if its true though. check it out.
also i think youll have a better chance if you used a D15b block and D16Z6 head,yeah? you think so guys?

also im thinkin of just goin turbo too...theres a guy here in the bay with a turbo Z6 and hes in the 12s. daily driven.

[Modified by SjCiViCHB, 5:53 AM 7/21/2002]
Old 07-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (SjCiViCHB)

good luck~!..haha...
at least a b16a1....ahha...
Old 07-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (C5_ALLMOTOR)

actually that car has run 10s already...you guys read too many magazinces...they are 6 months behind on just about everything...hes got a huge bore in that sohc but its no bigger than any b series can get, i garuntee it...call RS motorworks and ask.
And why dont you ask them how much it would cost for them to build you a motor close to Bisi's. What good is a motor if it only last serveral passes? Or only a couple thousand miles? Are you so rich to where you can do a swap 6 months?
Old 07-20-2002, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Please help me put this to a rest !!!! (CRX_VTEC)

I love the idea of this swap for two reasons.

1) It's cheap. I'd be putting it in my CRX, so it would also be fairly easy.

2) It's fast enough for me, stock...I think. I'm happy with my 175K D16A6 that's in there now...if the performance of the Z6/Y8 gets old, it's easily upgraded. Lots of companies make parts for it so it would be easy to get it going faster.

As far as 13's go, I think these guys are right...possible but will take a bit of work to get there. Probably a lot of $ too. Lots of boost and build-up would be a good route to take IMO.

Alex

[Modified by Quik89Si, 7:44 AM 7/21/2002]
Old 07-20-2002, 11:10 PM
HT White Ops

...you guys read too many magazinces...they are 6 months behind on just about everything...call RS motorworks and ask.
I wanna know how Bisi gets his helmet on. What's there number???

Old 07-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

piece yourself a junkyard turbo setup together... it will be way easier on a d16...
Old 07-21-2002, 11:30 PM
New User

hey c5 that was with slicks though wasnt it?? Just blows my mind you can get mid 14's with just two or three bolt ons but you cant get 13's??? I was reading something on the sohc board and there was talk about a 4.7 final drive for sohc you would think it would help the lack luster gearing of the tranny.......Iam so confused I dont know if I should pay the 7 grand and get the itr motor installed...build my sohc...pay 8900 for a crvtec from importbuilders....ahhhhh so many choices.....
Old 07-22-2002, 12:17 AM
New User

I got credit cards well two but they dont have high enough limits to buy an engine.... well maybe an sohc but not a c5...just wondering but is there a site that tell and shows how to put a b series into a cx(eg by the way)... again c5 were you running slicks when you ran those times??? hard desicions like this really really suck....well thanks everyone for the help...oh yah and has anyone even heard of that final drive for the sohc some guy said it was like 4.7 I think.

Troy
Old 07-22-2002, 03:57 PM
New User

just wondering but won't the final drive really help the sohc 1/4 times?? I found the web site and they have them in 4.7 and 4.9... but also if I would build a sohc for turbo it would be another 3 grand just for that still dont know what to do....
Old 07-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

13 seconds can be done, build a z6, get an extra block, use some NOS and save up for your swap later. If youBlow your motor use the other one. If you put crazy fian drives in a car yes, it will help your times. But it will ruin your car for a daily driver. You will be driving 55 mph at liie 4000 rpm.
Good luck
Old 07-22-2002, 10:05 PM
New User

any one know what the regular final drive on a 92-95 si tranny is??? I dont want to use nos or naaws or whatever the hell it is called. I consider it cheating... no offense to anyone who happens to use it. I wish I could do both... but I really wish I could just get it done sohc...dont know why but whatever I guess.

Quick Reply: Please help me put this to a rest !!!!