Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please HELP ME!!!??? My car will NOT move anymore. I need to fix this so I can get to work.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP ME!!!??? My car will NOT move anymore. I need to fix this so I can get to work.

I'm not sure what blew but it was either my axle(s) or my tranny. I was driving around tonight and I heard a noise coming from the engine bay so I starting driving home so I could see what the hell it was. It sounded like when you put a soda can in the fork of a bike and ride around (like a fender rubbing against a tire I guess). And as I was going up a steep hill on the way to my house it made a loud smack and my car wouldn't go foward anymore. It just kept rolling downhill. So I obiviously stopped and called a tow truck to get back home. Well within the 30 minutes I waited for the tow truck, all my tranny fluid leaked out of the tranny (coming from the passenger side of the tranny). And when I shifted from Park to Neutral to get on the truck it made a grinding noise (Yes it's an automatic but I got it rebuilt to handle the turbo). There are no axles hanging down but I suspect it is them because the original noise was very loud.

Cliff Notes: Tranny fluid leaking from the right side of the tranny, no axles hanging, car can only roll.

Please help me shed some light on the situation. My tranny is covered under a warranty but my axles aren't (BTW, they are stock axles).

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2003, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Please HELP ME!!!??? My car will NOT move anymore. I need to fix this so I can get to work. (My

Sounds like you might have a hole in your transmission... jack the car up and look directly above where the leak is and let us know what you find.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Please HELP ME!!!??? My car will NOT move anymore. I need to fix this so I can get to work. (My

You think I have a hole in the casing? Oh ****. This is going to be expensive. I'm going to go check right now.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

double check your axles....I'm not sure about auto trannies, but if you had a manual, I'd suspect clutch or axles.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:35 AM

Well, I want to see what he says after he checks out his car then we can help him out more.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I am pretty damn sure it's the passenger side axle. It looks like it's total seperated from the tranny. The passenger side axle spins freely from the the rest of the car. It does not look like there are any holes in my tranny, it just looks like the axle came out of it. I took a few pics to show what I mean.

Old 02-25-2003, 10:31 AM

Yep... its the axle bro... that green squashed bug looking **** is the axle greese... Looks like your boot blew apart... pull the axle, get a new boot for 8 bucks... pop it back in... running again.

Let me know if you need any help...
Old 02-25-2003, 10:32 AM

Ouch, looks like ur axle popped out... Umm... Jack up the car, and drop the tranny.
poo flinger

Yup, looks to that axle. Now the question is, is the axle repairable?

Yep... its the axle bro... that green squashed bug looking **** is the axle greese... Looks like your boot blew apart... pull the axle, get a new boot for 8 bucks... pop it back in... running again.

Let me know if you need any help...
Old 02-25-2003, 10:33 AM

Ouch, looks like ur axle popped out... Umm... Jack up the car, and drop the tranny.
Why would he drop the tranny? That makes no sense man... an axle is one of the easiest things to put on the car... no need to drop a tranny.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How do I replace a boot on the axle and where do I get it from? Thanks, you just made my day.

I wish you were near by to come take a look at it and possibly help me... to bad I'm in Pennsylvania.

[Modified by MyWhiteCivic, 2:37 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should eb able to get them at any automotive store or maybe at a honda retailer.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried to start it? what were your RPM's at? This happened to me in my d16 and it was broken rod........sorry i didnt read the whole thread...woops.

:edit: Apology

[Modified by who00knows, 12:08 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 11:19 AM

Its not a rod dammit. Its the boot grease... the boot can be bought at an autoparts store, just tell em you need the inner axle boot... they will take care of you... and buy some axle grease cuz you will need to repack the axle... it will come with the new safety clip so it locks back into the transmission.

Do a search on how to remove an axle on H-T... its easy man.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not a rod dammit. Its the boot grease... the boot can be bought at an autoparts store, just tell em you need the inner axle boot... they will take care of you... and buy some axle grease cuz you will need to repack the axle... it will come with the new safety clip so it locks back into the transmission.

Do a search on how to remove an axle on H-T... its easy man.
Ok, I am going to pick up the boot today. I'm not worried about removing the axle, I've done that a few times before. I just want to make sure I fix the boot correctly. I'll figure it out though. Thanks for your help man, I was about to go spend about 700 bucks on DSS axles when I don't even have to yet.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:26 AM

If it was just a boot your car would still drive wouldn't it?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:46 AM

Yes the car would move, but in the event of the axle breaking out of the tranny his boot was ripped. So regardless he will need a new boot.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:17 PM

Can the axle just pop out? I had to remove the whole steering knuckle to get my axle out. I don't think it could just pop out unless something is loose.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I thought too. My knuckle is still attached as well as all my other suspension ****. It's just that the axle is now seperated from the tranny. Don't ask me how but it is.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:37 PM

Dude... sometimes it happens... especially with launches on boost.. the axle gets so much stress that it just glides out.. Ive had it happen to me on my automatic and my 5 speed... it doesn't matter..

If you have questions, IM me... I tried IMing you on AIM but you didnt respond.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:38 PM

Also, there is no need to take the knuckle off... all you need to do is loosen the bolts and push it back a bit so you can work the axle out... its not hard folks... and you say you've put it in so I assume you know what Im refering to...
Old 02-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you shouldn't have bothered trying to repair it.....just buy a new remanufactured axle. that way you are sure there is no existing damage that will just f up again in a few hundred miles. they are cheap too, for your car should be under 70 bucks with core.

also since you are unable to move your car now...replacing the boot most certainly will not fix the problem.... since the joint has probably separated. fix it now. buy a new axle.

[Modified by DragII, 5:01 PM 2/25/2003]
Old 02-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, looks to that axle. Now the question is, is the axle repairable?
go to autozone and get an axle they are about $60....and they have lifetime warrantys.....
Old 02-25-2003, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

60 bucks for an axle!!! That's awesome.

Yeah, axles aren't bad to get out. I actually liked doing that because unlike everything else in that area, the axle was not rusted to another piece of metal so they actually came out when I tried!