Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

please help, im soooo confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help, im soooo confused

ok, i have searched and read write-ups, yet im still confused on what i need to use on my mini swap, i will be attempting to place a 1999 y8 head and manifold onto my manual 1996 d16y7. so far i have the head of a 99 y8 and i have arp head bolts, and i have new valve gasket and exhaust gasket and intake mani gasket in the mail. one of my questions is that should i use my y7 throttle body, or my y8, caz the iacv are different, my car has about 90,000 miles on it, and i just replaced the timing belt, will i have to replace it again for this swap. Also, is swapping in the new ecu plug and play, other than wiring v-tec. and should i go obd-1 and go p28 or stay obd-2???? caz if i go obd-1, i dont have to worry about the knock sensor right??? i think i forgot something else, but i forget, if any1 can clear this up, please do, i am really confused, and could use some one on one help, not just giving me links..... thank i really do appreciate it
Old 10-24-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: please help, im soooo confused (young noob)

bump
Old 10-25-2005, 10:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-25-2005, 11:02 AM

There is a lot of work involved if you want to do this right. I myself have kept my 97 EX (canadian) OBD2. It's a little trickier but the result is worth it.

As for the Knock sensor. Yes it must be there on OBD2. If I remember right it's one wire that has to be added. If you don't put this in you will be stuck in limp mode until you do. you will have trouble codes if you don't

You should use your Y8 manifold and throttle body, better performance. or conversely use an edelbrock unit. The IACV requires a little wiring change at the valve and at the ECU. Failure to comply results in a surging idle and goofy drivability, plus trouble codes.

VTEC is a sinch to wire. There's only three wires to add, two for the oil pressure sensor (VTEC) and the third for the solenoid.

Search for pinout diagrams for the ECU connectors on here. I know they exist because I found and used them. You will find them invaluable. After you have made the additions and modifications to the wiring harness, the ECU is pretty much plug and play.

You may have a problem if you use a 98 or newer Si ECU. It will look for a fuel tank pressure sensor and if your car is 96 or 97 it won't be there. I know there is a fix using a rheostat but I haven't yet implemented this. You will get a code for this.

Lastly before you start this. Should you decide to stay OBD2, buy a code reader. They are relatively inexpensive and are worth every penny when you are doing this modification.

One more thing, buy a decent inexpensive header before you start, you will want to get rid of the factory manifold and cat while you have the head off.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=735196

how this helps
Old 10-25-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: please help, im soooo confused (phasewest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phasewest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a lot of work involved if you want to do this right. I myself have kept my 97 EX (canadian) OBD2. It's a little trickier but the result is worth it.

As for the Knock sensor. Yes it must be there on OBD2. If I remember right it's one wire that has to be added. If you don't put this in you will be stuck in limp mode until you do. you will have trouble codes if you don't

You should use your Y8 manifold and throttle body, better performance. or conversely use an edelbrock unit. The IACV requires a little wiring change at the valve and at the ECU. Failure to comply results in a surging idle and goofy drivability, plus trouble codes.

VTEC is a sinch to wire. There's only three wires to add, two for the oil pressure sensor (VTEC) and the third for the solenoid.

Search for pinout diagrams for the ECU connectors on here. I know they exist because I found and used them. You will find them invaluable. After you have made the additions and modifications to the wiring harness, the ECU is pretty much plug and play.

You may have a problem if you use a 98 or newer Si ECU. It will look for a fuel tank pressure sensor and if your car is 96 or 97 it won't be there. I know there is a fix using a rheostat but I haven't yet implemented this. You will get a code for this.

Lastly before you start this. Should you decide to stay OBD2, buy a code reader. They are relatively inexpensive and are worth every penny when you are doing this modification.

One more thing, buy a decent inexpensive header before you start, you will want to get rid of the factory manifold and cat while you have the head off.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thank you, but also, what about my vtec solenoid, how do i wire the oilpurge on it