Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

-PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch

i'm a newbie at this whole car thing but i just need to know the easiest way to replace my clutch. my clutch has been slipping for the past 3 weeks and i dont want it to blow on me i have a 92 to 95 civic EX coupe and i'm planning on doing this myself so it'll be cheaper and i'll gain experience so please can somebody help me?!
- i dont know ish
Old 05-29-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: -PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch (I Need Serious Help)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Need Serious Help &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i have a 92 to 95 civic EX coupe </TD></TR></TABLE>
hahahaha what you forgot what year it is? and there is no 92 coupe 93 was the first year and now onto your clutch question. just remove all the bolts to the tranny actually just buy a helms book and if your too cheap for that buy a small repair book at auto zone. it really isnt that hard ive done clutch jobs all by my self as long as you have the tools.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: -PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch (e jay one)

word, helms would help man, read the directions just like how you would when you read instructions on how to put your condom on jk... get that and we'll help you out alogn the way
Old 05-29-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: -PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch (e jay one)

lol thanks man yes notice the n00b sign i got a 95 coupe
Old 05-29-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: -PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch (I Need Serious Help)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Need Serious Help &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm a newbie at this whole car thing but i just need to know the easiest way to replace my clutch. my clutch has been slipping for the past 3 weeks and i dont want it to blow on me i have a 92 to 95 civic EX coupe and i'm planning on doing this myself so it'll be cheaper and i'll gain experience so please can somebody help me?!
- i dont know ish</TD></TR></TABLE>

you guys are being mean to him geez, help him out
ok one thing i gotta say first is that if u admit that "u dont know ish" tranny jobs are up there in the not easy to do, it's not like changing ur oil or tires, it's pretty compiclated and even confuses the best of us at times....i just changed my whole tranny yesterday(93 civic coupe ex)....in short, yea get a helms, but here it goes
take off filter box and intake pipiing all the way until throttle body..
...removde distributer cap
..remove starter
you will see the tranny directly below you, pull out all electrical wires and hoses..by now you should have a mess of wiring hanging around, just remmeber where you took them out of so when you put them back u wont get fukked..
....remove tranny mounts and bolts that attach tranny to clutch housing...i suggest putting a hack under the tranny or attach a hoist on top ....this biatch is like 200 lbs....
when u got the tranny loose, get it out of the way....and the big round thing with teeth all around and what look like teeth on the insdie....that's the clutch! and right behind it is the flywheel..remove it via the bolts and pop in the new one...while ur at it check if ur flywheel has to be resurfaced....
putting it back is all the same except make shure the clutch fork (is that what it is called?) is set right or you wont be able to start your car or engage gears....
btw oone thing i forgot to mention is before removing the tranny itself (after the air intake, dizzy and starter)...remove both front wheels and axles via moving the brake assembly via the joint thingy's ( i dont know the name of all the parts lol)

trust me pal, it aint an easy job if "u dont KnOw isH"

make shure u remember where allt he bolts go after, and all the wiring, dont forget to unplug the negative of the battery, the hardest part is putting back the tranny, i suggest you use a combination of a hoist and jack on either side to balance it out....watch not to damage the clutch teeth while putting that 200lb tranny back on the housing....
estimated time:
experts: 2-3 hours
Your mechanically adept: 4-6 hours
you know what your doing but it's your first time (like me!): 6-8 hours
you dont know jack: dont even bother
Old 05-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: -PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch (Jay-Dee-Em)

I would highly suggest you to pay money and have a professional get it done.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-Dee-Em

you guys are being mean to him geez, help him out
ok one thing i gotta say first is that if u admit that "u dont know ish" tranny jobs are up there in the not easy to do, it's not like changing ur oil or tires, it's pretty compiclated and even confuses the best of us at times....i just changed my whole tranny yesterday(93 civic coupe ex)....in short, yea get a helms, but here it goes
take off filter box and intake pipiing all the way until throttle body..
...removde distributer cap
..remove starter
you will see the tranny directly below you, pull out all electrical wires and hoses..by now you should have a mess of wiring hanging around, just remmeber where you took them out of so when you put them back u wont get fukked..
....remove tranny mounts and bolts that attach tranny to clutch housing...i suggest putting a hack under the tranny or attach a hoist on top ....this biatch is like 200 lbs....
when u got the tranny loose, get it out of the way....and the big round thing with teeth all around and what look like teeth on the insdie....that's the clutch! and right behind it is the flywheel..remove it via the bolts and pop in the new one...while ur at it check if ur flywheel has to be resurfaced....
putting it back is all the same except make shure the clutch fork (is that what it is called?) is set right or you wont be able to start your car or engage gears....
btw oone thing i forgot to mention is before removing the tranny itself (after the air intake, dizzy and starter)...remove both front wheels and axles via moving the brake assembly via the joint thingy's ( i dont know the name of all the parts lol)

trust me pal, it aint an easy job if "u dont KnOw isH"

make shure u remember where allt he bolts go after, and all the wiring, dont forget to unplug the negative of the battery, the hardest part is putting back the tranny, i suggest you use a combination of a hoist and jack on either side to balance it out....watch not to damage the clutch teeth while putting that 200lb tranny back on the housing....
estimated time:
experts: 2-3 hours
Your mechanically adept: 4-6 hours
you know what your doing but it's your first time (like me!): 6-8 hours
you dont know jack: dont even bother
O.K. Here it goes. Do not remove the dizzy. There is no point unless you are going to use a engine hoist to lower the right side of the engine down to slide the tranny out. I just used some wood on a floor jack and left the dizzy alone. If you do, mark the position and check your timing when you put it back on. The starter has only one bolt that goes into the engine block. It is the lower bolt. If you are going to be useing the same tranny, just remove the lower bolt (just less work). There are no hoses to remove, unless you have a AT, which you don't because your doing a clutch replacement. If you do want the coolant hoses out of the way, it's just going to be more work. They really don't get in the way at all. If you are going to be reusing the pressure plate please take the bolts off slowly and back them off in a star pattern. Don't just remove them one by one, because you will warp it very quickly. Back them off slowly and a bit at a time. Removing the flywheel is a must. It may look o.k., but I doubt it is. Always get it resurfaced or you will be dropping the tranny again in no time. Use thread lock on the flywheel bolts and press. plate bolts (just to be safe). Replace the rear main oil seal if it is leaking or looks bad. Always use a alignment tool when installing a clutch (if you don't have one, GET ONE!). Use brake cleaner on the press. plate and flywheel clutch disc contact surface. It has to be 100% free of oil and dirt. Even touching it with your hands will cause the clutch to become dirty and increase slipping. The Ex or Si tranny only weighs like 80lbs. so get a friend to help hoist it into place. Me and my dad just bench pressed it in there. Make sure to grease up all contact point's on the clutch release fork and throw out bearing. Lightly grease the inside of the throw out bearing, the actual contact surface of the bearing too (where it touches the clutch splines), input shaft etc. Replace the throwout bearing and pilot bearing too. You do not have to remove the axels to drop a tranny. If you are going to replace them then take them out, but if there good then leave them in. Replace the axel seals if they are leaking. Undo the lower control are balljoint castle nut and the shock fork to lower control arm through bolt. Now just drop the lower control arm down, lift up on the disc assembly and pull the axels out. Then swing the whole assembly out of the way. I never removed the axels when I did my Dx to Si tranny swap and ACT xtreme clutch kit install. I also went with a 8lb. chromoly flywheel . It sure beats the 16+lb stock flywheel . I am pretty good at picking things up and when I did my swap and upgrade it was really easy. If you got the tools and a brain you should do just fine.

Oh and replace all cotter pins and use a torque wrench to get evrything to spec. Replace the spring pin and snap rings if they need to be. Also remove the shifter at the tranny. The bitch pin really isn't that hard to remove. <U>If you have any questions when your doing the replacement, feel free to IM me and I'll help you out.</U>
Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: -PLEASE HELP- i need to know how to replace a clutch (Bond)

Originally Posted by Bond

O.K. Here it goes. Do not remove the dizzy. There is no point unless you are going to use a engine hoist to lower the right side of the engine down to slide the tranny out. I just used some wood on a floor jack and left the dizzy alone. If you do, mark the position and check your timing when you put it back on. The starter has only one bolt that goes into the engine block. It is the lower bolt. If you are going to be useing the same tranny, just remove the lower bolt (just less work). There are no hoses to remove, unless you have a AT, which you don't because your doing a clutch replacement. If you do want the coolant hoses out of the way, it's just going to be more work. They really don't get in the way at all. If you are going to be reusing the pressure plate please take the bolts off slowly and back them off in a star pattern. Don't just remove them one by one, because you will warp it very quickly. Back them off slowly and a bit at a time. Removing the flywheel is a must. It may look o.k., but I doubt it is. Always get it resurfaced or you will be dropping the tranny again in no time. Use thread lock on the flywheel bolts and press. plate bolts (just to be safe). Replace the rear main oil seal if it is leaking or looks bad. Always use a alignment tool when installing a clutch (if you don't have one, GET ONE!). Use brake cleaner on the press. plate and flywheel clutch disc contact surface. It has to be 100% free of oil and dirt. Even touching it with your hands will cause the clutch to become dirty and increase slipping. The Ex or Si tranny only weighs like 80lbs. so get a friend to help hoist it into place. Me and my dad just bench pressed it in there. Make sure to grease up all contact point's on the clutch release fork and throw out bearing. Lightly grease the inside of the throw out bearing, the actual contact surface of the bearing too (where it touches the clutch splines), input shaft etc. Replace the throwout bearing and pilot bearing too. You do not have to remove the axels to drop a tranny. If you are going to replace them then take them out, but if there good then leave them in. Replace the axel seals if they are leaking. Undo the lower control are balljoint castle nut and the shock fork to lower control arm through bolt. Now just drop the lower control arm down, lift up on the disc assembly and pull the axels out. Then swing the whole assembly out of the way. I never removed the axels when I did my Dx to Si tranny swap and ACT xtreme clutch kit install. I also went with a 8lb. chromoly flywheel . It sure beats the 16+lb stock flywheel . I am pretty good at picking things up and when I did my swap and upgrade it was really easy. If you got the tools and a brain you should do just fine.

Oh and replace all cotter pins and use a torque wrench to get evrything to spec. Replace the spring pin and snap rings if they need to be. Also remove the shifter at the tranny. The bitch pin really isn't that hard to remove. <U>If you have any questions when your doing the replacement, feel free to IM me and I'll help you out.</U>

hehe much better than mines!
but like i sadi it was my first time and i did remove the dizzy and starter and some radiator hoses just incase....and i used a hoist and jack underneath......well the reason i did all that was because the job i did was replacing my whole transmission....i forgot i was trying to answer a question about just replacing a clutch...but it's kinda the same ...anyway...good job
Old 06-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay-Dee-Em &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hehe much better than mines!
but like i sadi it was my first time and i did remove the dizzy and starter and some radiator hoses just incase....and i used a hoist and jack underneath......well the reason i did all that was because the job i did was replacing my whole transmission....i forgot i was trying to answer a question about just replacing a clutch...but it's kinda the same ...anyway...good job </TD></TR></TABLE>

You still did a good job on telling him what you all need to do. I just tweeked it a bit. What I wrote was what I all did when I swapped my tranny. Dx --&gt; Si is one of the best upgrades for your money .
Old 06-02-2005, 06:54 PM

Heres a better idea,

Get the haynes manual from autozone or where ever, there cheap and have pictures, that will help you over the best written how to.